Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Ac problems

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Ac problems

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So today I hopped in my car to go to lunch and the ac never cooled off. It just kept blowing hot air and all the buttons on the hvac panel were unresponsive. Now all the temp readings on the hvac panel and guage cluster are reading in Celsius. A mechanic told me my ac compressor was locked up but to me it seems like something electrical is going on.

Anyone else experience this or know what's going on??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Three Rings m_haiser's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

sounds like the hvac head unit took a dump

Veteran Member Four Rings CELison's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Does the compressor kick on?

Established Member Four Rings JustManson's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Do you trust your mechanic?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by m_haiser View Post
    sounds like the hvac head unit took a dump
    That's what I'm thinking too

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CELison View Post
    Does the compressor kick on?
    Nope

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JustManson View Post
    Do you trust your mechanic?

Eh I trust his work but don't always agree with his opinions on what's wrong

Veteran Member Four Rings S4_NE's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    just my two S4's

Quote Originally Posted by collin.simon View Post
    So today I hopped in my car to go to lunch and the ac never cooled off. It just kept blowing hot air and all the buttons on the hvac panel were unresponsive. Now all the temp readings on the hvac panel and guage cluster are reading in Celsius. A mechanic told me my ac compressor was locked up but to me it seems like something electrical is going on.

Anyone else experience this or know what's going on??

when mine went out i was blowing hot air and my comp was short cycling so i added ac pro to it and that made it come back to blowing cold again, as for your issue may be the controller crapped out, BUT I would see if your charge is ok first (low psi side) and see if you clutch on the comp is kicking in, GL
    2001 S4 TIP STG 3 EPL tune,517 trans shop, and Stuff
    2001 S4 Avant TIP STG 0, Vast snub mount, 710N's, AWE boost gage, Tints, more to come...
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee , beater/off road rig

Turbo's are the Perfect Drug

Established Member Four Rings JustManson's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Well if the compressor isnít coming on... ding ding ding, fix that first.

Senior Member Four Rings cjt671's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 S4, B6 A4

If I were you my first steps would be to scan car with vcds.. full auto scan and service the AC system with only refrigerant. I wouldn't use any of those" ac pro" products. Buy r-134a with no additives and a hose/nozzle adapter with gauge so you can check AC system pressure. Service if low. That should get the AC blowing cold again. If it stays that way you know you were just low on ref, if it blows warm after a short period you are leaking ref. If you service it and it still blows warm the issue is elsewhere

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 S4 Black, 2001 Ram 1500 Off-Road

Quote Originally Posted by cjt671 View Post
    If I were you my first steps would be to scan car with vcds.. full auto scan and service the AC system with only refrigerant. I wouldn't use any of those" ac pro" products. Buy r-134a with no additives and a hose/nozzle adapter with gauge so you can check AC system pressure. Service if low. That should get the AC blowing cold again. If it stays that way you know you were just low on ref, if it blows warm after a short period you are leaking ref. If you service it and it still blows warm the issue is elsewhere

Check to make sure it hasn't leaked out first though, I'm no hippie, but there's proof that that stuff destroys the ozone. But ya, VCDS will either tell you what's wrong, or not communicate with the HVAC controller at all, in which case you'll need a new one.

Registered Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '01 S4 Tip '91 200 20VTQA, '01 A6 2.7TA, VW Rabbit GTI truck.

Ooo.. this is a crap time for the AC to take a dump down in Looziana! Bummer...

Pretty easy to tell if the compressor is locked. See if the compressor will turn by hand. There's an electric clutch that engages the serpentine belt to spin the compressor. If the compressors locked you won't be able to turn the front hub.

There are several reasons the compressor isn't getting engaged: 1. The pressure switch on the low side isn't allowing the system to turn on because either you're low on refrigerant or (unlikely) the switch is bad. 2. Could be a broke wire. 3. Or the head unit isn't telling it to turn on. The head unit problem is pretty easy to check: With the engine running turn on the AC and the electric engine cooling fans should turn on. If they don't, well duh, the head unit's taken a crap.

I'd be leaning to the refrigerant leak. There's a reason it went from working to not so quickly and if it's cuz you ran outta R-134a, it's probably the compressor shaft seal. The best way to find out is to pay a REAL auto HVAC shop to troubleshoot it. They'll evacuate it and see if it holds vacuum. Then they'll pressurize it and tell you where it's leaking.

BTW, I have a complete working AC system that was pulled from a low mileage S4 I'm turning into a track car. Literally, the entire system was working perfectly. Killed me to do it but you gotta do what you gotta do. If you need anything, I'm just a PM away...

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Another thing is check what the temperature on the dash says (if you can read it). My thermometer will randomly jump down to like -40 on the dash and the a/c will blow hot until it comes back up again.

2001.5 Silver S4 Avant - 6spd swap + BW K04s (Current)
    2001.5 Santorin S4 Sedan - SRM k24 build (Totaled)

IG: CJ_s4