Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '01 AR 2.7T TP, '83 Mercedes 300TD, DEAD '03 Allroad yet to be resurrected

Will the real mileage figure please stand up?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello,

I've searched and searched on this forum and others and I can't find a definitive answer. '01 Allroad A/T, I can't seem to get the cluster to show me the actual mileage of the car though it will show me the two trip odometer readings fine. When I first got it, I Did see that number, but since then I have deleted the suspension module, and tried to code the car so that it would no longer search for this module, but have obviously failed. I offer this with the idea that perhaps this is why I can no longer see the mileage indicated? The car was not running at the time of purchase, had to convert it to coilovers.

Any thoughts? VCDS cannot find the mileage either. TIA

Established Member Two Rings Watcher0691's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro, (2) 2001 A6 2.7T Quattro, Dodge Stratus R/T full sub 510 cu.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrvergnugen View Post
    Hello,

I've searched and searched on this forum and others and I can't find a definitive answer. '01 Allroad A/T, I can't seem to get the cluster to show me the actual mileage of the car though it will show me the two trip odometer readings fine. When I first got it, I Did see that number, but since then I have deleted the suspension module, and tried to code the car so that it would no longer search for this module, but have obviously failed. I offer this with the idea that perhaps this is why I can no longer see the mileage indicated? The car was not running at the time of purchase, had to convert it to coilovers.

Any thoughts? VCDS cannot find the mileage either. TIA
    Hello,
    First...make sure battery is at full charge.
    Hook up VCDS, Autoscan. Let autoscan go through its full iteration, save, exit.
    Go to applications, EDC15-16 mileage, and wait. you should get mileage readout from the ECU/ECS in both miles and kilometer. If not, you have bigger problems than an instrument cluster not reading out.
    Go to "select control module", instrument cluster and see if you get a readout of mileage than corresponds to ECU/ECS.
    Was instrument repaired for pixelation or other faults? Was it adapted properly?
    I don't believe that the suspension module affects mileage readouts (could be mistaken though).
    hope it helps.
    Watcher

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I remoeved my suspension module and my MPG is clearly shown as 15.6!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Watcher,

Thank you for the reply... I checked the mileage in -some- manner via VCDS before with no luck. I will follow your description to the letter soon and will report back. Thank you again.

D

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Looks like slim shady is dead

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher0691 View Post
    Hello,
    First...make sure battery is at full charge.
    Hook up VCDS, Autoscan. Let autoscan go through its full iteration, save, exit.
    Go to applications, EDC15-16 mileage, and wait. you should get mileage readout from the ECU/ECS in both miles and kilometer. If not, you have bigger problems than an instrument cluster not reading out.
    Go to "select control module", instrument cluster and see if you get a readout of mileage than corresponds to ECU/ECS.
    Was instrument repaired for pixelation or other faults? Was it adapted properly?
    I don't believe that the suspension module affects mileage readouts (could be mistaken though).
    hope it helps.
    The first test you describe is what I did before, no values shown. Says something like either the ECU doesnt save mileage, or this program is not compatible with the car. Sorry!

I tried your second test, and I can see the clusters' part number and the VIN, but no mileage. The bar on the near middle left just continues to spin, I assume showing that the cluster isnt communicating completely?

I guess it is dead, Jim... What now, if anything, do I do to try to fix this?

The car has a couple small electrical quirks; Sometimes, at idle, the interior light will flicker but not always; that, and not all the interior lights work (parcel area won't switch on, passengers dome light same, and RR & LF footwell lights don't work with door). I assume the lights are tied-in to the CCM being bad?

TIA

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro, (2) 2001 A6 2.7T Quattro, Dodge Stratus R/T full sub 510 cu.

Sorry but I have to ask the question... You are using a "real" Ross-Tech cable and not some Ebay knock off?

If Autoscan is not completing a full cycle, then there exists some form of comms error either from the cable to the OBD connector, or ECU harness.

Not reading anything from the application block (EDC15/16)? No pop-up dialogue box displaying mileage in KM/Miles with an explanation of how ECU computes mileage? No Cluster readout?

Your ECU should be the 4B0 907 551 T Bosch Motronic unit. I suspect the either the ECU, Cluster was replaced at some point and a proper Adaptation was not completed. As for your electrical quirks, Ground! Ground! and Grounds! Bad grounds are the leading cause of what you are describing. Bad ground=Bad communications. Check wiring thoroughly.

Best of luck
    Watcher

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Sorry but I have to ask the question... You are using a "real" Ross-Tech cable and not some Ebay knock off?
    Yepper; borrowed even. I can't afford the real thing, but my friends is indeed from RossTech.

If Autoscan is not completing a full cycle, then there exists some form of comms error either from the cable to the OBD connector, or ECU harness.
    Autoscan for an Allroad completes fine, but of course I don't get a mileage reading that way. Now, I may have made his more difficult without trying... Sometime ago, I Tried to change the programming on this car so that it would no longer look for the suspension module. I dont appear to have much success, I still have error codes for not finding the module (ABS, headlight level adaptation, maybe more). And each time I do the autoscan, I still run it under Allroad, not knowing what model I should use instead...? '01 A6 2.7T? So I bring that up to ask, is it possible that That is the reason why I don't get a mileage value? The fact that I programmed it poorly and therefore introduced problems?

Not reading anything from the application block (EDC15/16)? No pop-up dialogue box displaying mileage in KM/Miles with an explanation of how ECU computes mileage? No Cluster readout?
    No, No, and No, sadly.

Your ECU should be the 4B0 907 551 T Bosch Motronic unit. I suspect the either the ECU, Cluster was replaced at some point and a proper Adaptation was not completed. As for your electrical quirks, Ground! Ground! and Grounds! Bad grounds are the leading cause of what you are describing. Bad ground=Bad communications. Check wiring thoroughly.

Best of luck
    Thanks Very much for your time here... I will confirm that is the part number... Cluster has bad pixels in the info screen, so in some ways I doubt that it has been changed. More when I know more.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

If you, at anytime modified the measuring blocks, there is a possibility you inhibited the mileage readout function. Any time you intend to use the "advanced measuring block" function you should always take a "snapshot" of the existing configuration and save to a file ("original" or "stock" file name) in the event that the outcome is not desired so you may revert to factory settings. If this is the case, you may need to re-flash ECU. While this reestablishes the factory settings, it should not effect protected label files (saved data files). DTC's are not protected data sets, mileage, VIN, etc, are.
    Pixelated clusters are common on these cars, good news is that there are many services out there that can repair and improve on the Audi design for reasonable costs.

Also, always perform the autoscan using the VIN as the reference platform. That way the software knows the proper questions to ask the car in order to get the appropriate response.
    Watcher

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Very well... So two questions then; how can I get this re-flashed?

And/or, how could I re-code this so that the car does not search for the suspension module since I have gone with coilovers?