Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

AZ Member #

Rear End Shutter On Acceleration

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So periodically my 2004 Allroad under acceleration while making a left or right hand turn the rear end will shutter. The best way I guess to describe it is like a ratcheting feeling when it occurs.
    Other than that the car drives normal.
    Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings Watcher0691's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro, (2) 2001 A6 2.7T Quattro, Dodge Stratus R/T full sub 510 cu.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    So periodically my 2004 Allroad under acceleration while making a left or right hand turn the rear end will shutter. The best way I guess to describe it is like a ratcheting feeling when it occurs.
    Other than that the car drives normal.
    Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Given the info provided, I would consider replacing/repairing both the left and right rear drive shafts. Any clearance (excessive slop) in CV joints may exhibit the symptoms you describe. As the car with an IRS type suspension corners under load and the weight is "jacked" to the loaded tire (right turn, right tire, etc.), the CV joint on the unloaded side has a different angular velocity than the loaded side. This can result in the "shuddering" or "ratcheting" effect as the worn CV Joint rapidly oscillates in an axial direction (loading, unloading, loading, unloading, etc.). While it is possible that the center diff has an issue, my experiences have shown that you would experience more of a "thud" accompanied with bearing whine during sudden acceleration with it being more pronounced upon corner entry, exit, and off throttle conditions. Check that all isolation mounting are in good condition and tight. Looseness (slop) exacerbates normal vibrations that are not canceled out through balancing. One word of caution... Should the symptoms increase in magnitude while accelerating into the corner along with vibration through seat, steering wheel, etc. I would park it until you can find the cause. At that point you have entered into the realm of "Sympathetic resonance" which is extremely destructive to rotating and non-rotating parts. Sorry for all the techno babble, but these cars are very sensitive to balance issues caused by worn or damaged components.
    Watcher

Veteran Member Four Rings PaperToast's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Quadzilla

ill add to what watcher says; great explaination, i like it

also check the center driveshaft
    at higher mileage (helps to let us know that) the center bearing that has a bushing (audi loves bushings) starts to loose its ability to dampen vibrations.
    wouldn't hurt to look at the rear diff bushings as well, as these can crack and fall apart
    Rockin' the Rockies
    '01 allroad, 240k woot woot, still boosting on original turbos and tippy, slightly more modified. . .

Scotty@Advanced, "Push it off a cliff, when it hits the ground you should have a few thousand horsepower available for a brief second."

AZ Member #

Thank you both for your replies.
    I will look into your suggestions.
    Currently
    Iím at a little over 138,000 miles.
    The car overall is in good shape so worth taking the time to investigate and repair as needed.
    Again, thank you both.