Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings Furly's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Return fuel conversion help

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Just got an AEB fuel rail on my AEB head/intake mani and ran a return line back toward the fuel filter area. Need some help from the good folks here that have done this conversion.

I read two different things about this last part on threads but the threads are old, all pics are dead and lots of things have changed since then.

I read that some people use a special adapter to connect the return line to the B6's stock return line that goes to the 2nd fuel tank. Unfortunately I cannot find this part anywhere and the link for it is dead. I emailed integrated engineering and never got a response weather they still sell this part or not and where I can buy it. Also read that this process requires the evap line to be plugged by the filter.

I also read that some folks use a T fitting and connect the return line to the evap AND 2nd fuel tank return line together.

Which is the correct or better way to do this? Also if anyone can point me in the right direction for this adapter if this is the way to go I'd like to order one asap.

I'll be installing the aeromotive fuel pump at the same time so if any other necessary modifications are required let me know. Thanks !
    Audi Club Bay Area

Veteran Member Four Rings AJacksA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Paddy Wagon
    Items for Sale

Well im awake (not for long) so I'll take a stab at it

For the evap line by the filter, heres all you need to cap it off:
    http://a.co/fV2HtYt
    http://a.co/gPalLXP

To connect the new hose you'll be running along the underside of your car to the stock return line by the filter you need these:
    http://a.co/fV2HtYt
    http://a.co/bf75ZdE
    http://a.co/gFYAnNW

And these are the clamps you want to use:
    http://a.co/3pG5uYT

You need a 2 fitting fuel filter:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...SABEgL2J_D_BwE

This will get you to the point where the only parts left are in the engine bay. You just now need to connect the new return line to the AEB rail and reference the FPR to the IM. This part is pretty self explanatory. Theres no messing around with the second tank of the car (or drilling/widening of any holes or t-fittings) or anything like that, its a very simple swap. Throw in the new pump, cap off the evap line, connect your new return line to the stock return line (by the fuel filter). That is. You'll be rocking and rolling from that point on.

Im pushing ~450bhp on this setup with plenty of fuel left (even on e85)

AZ Member #

Those look like -AN fittings. Im running regular fuel hose I decided not to use braided steel lines. Are there other connectors or is this my only option?

I got the TT225 filter. Fuel rail and FPR installed and hose attached to rail.
    Audi Club Bay Area

Veteran Member Four Rings jjvwg's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 A4 Avant

Return fuel conversion help

You still use regular fuel line with the items ajacksa4 posted above. This will be the cleanest way to do it IMO. Buy those parts and donít look back. Hook it up the way he said also. Regarding the evap line I think you are confused with what people were doing. They are two completely different systems...sometimes people who are deleting their evap and changing over to a return system use the evap line as the return fuel line. Canít say if thatís a good idea though as Iím not sure if there are different fuel rated hoses as far as being rated for fuel vapor vs having actual fuel running through the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    | 2004 A4 Avant | Gloss Dark Grey |
    | 2.7t swap in progress | 034 RSB & Endlinks | Apikol snub | 17z BBK |Vogtland GT1 Coilovers | Moog adj. UCA's | Peeler reps |

| 2011 A4 Avant | Brilliant Black | Vogtland Coilovers | RSE's | 034 Sway/tranny mount | Q5 brakes |

AZ Member #

Thanks fellas I will order all of the items today and get this finished asap! Much appreciated
    Audi Club Bay Area

Veteran Member Four Rings gmudan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4%20B6/B8
    Items for Sale

What I did is I completely removed everything past the fuel filter and ran my own line.
    1) brand new -6an line from the fuel rail, all the way back. I cut the old connectors from the line. The ones that look like this.
    Shoved them into the -6an line with a fuel hose clamp. Thereís enough room to pass two lines without the fitting if you loosen the tank strap slightly. I ran another line from the stock line that ended right at the fuel filter to the fuel pump basket. One end just slips on the stock tube, and the other end slip a stock connector on and clip it to the fuel pump basket. Iíll take pictures later if you need. As for a fuel filter, I bought one off summit racing for 30$ and screwed it into the new line I ran with AN fittings. It fit very nice under the car.

Veteran Member Four Rings AudiA4_20T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10speed
    Items for Sale

I just cut the actual line and slipped a hose over for like 4" with two clamps. Worked fine since there's not much pressure on it.
    - Clint

Current: 05 B5.5 Passat 4motion 1.8T - Jfonz Tune, Samco TIP waiting to go on: GTRS, 034 FMIC, 630cc Injectors, 034 HFC, Bilstein / H&R Suspension
    Totaled: 04 DG B6 Cabby 1.8T - stock forever
    Gone: White '04 S4 2.7T - Stage 2+
    Gone : Fastest B6 A4 ever - 464awhp/12.1@116
    Gone : 05 DG B7 2.0TQ - Stage 1

Veteran Member Three Rings 19jdog's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Mini Cooper s - 2013 Mini Cooper S - 2007 C6 Avant - 2006 GSXR 750

Subscribed for latter...
    Instagram : black_b6_love
    07 A6 C6 Avant S Line - Stance SC8 20x10 42mm - H&R Springs

04 B6 A4 USP 3.0
    USP CLUB MEMBER #198
    JHM tune - JHM downpipes - 034 intake spacers - JHM Short Shift - Rohana RC7 19x9.5 33mm - 034 REAR SWAYBAR - TIP TO 6 SPEED SWAP

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I would suggest ptfe lines vs rubber. Reason being is if you ever want to run e85,, then you won't have to redo them. You may tell yourself now you don't plan to run e85. But if you end up pushing decent amount of power, the e85 bug can hit you harder than other mod bugs do.

And with flex fuel vehicles becoming more popular, more stations are opening up. I would assume more and more stations will start selling e85 as time progresses (i.e. 3 stations that I know about ranging 5-15 minutes from my house now stock it, versus zero stations few years back).
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like a bitch

AZ Member #

Alright fellas I got the connectors in the mail the other day. Only issue now is, all the b6 guides show a fuel filter with 4 ports. 2 on the rear and 2 on the front.
    Mine however has 3. Two on rear 1 on front like this..

And there is two metal fuel lines coming down from the front of the car to the rear. Which line is which? Am I looking at a return line already built in somehow? Or is this solo line an evap?
    Here are my photos

Rear of fuel filter closest to rear end of car

Front of fuel filter facing front end of car

The two lines running from front of car to rear
    Audi Club Bay Area

Veteran Member Four Rings gmudan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4%20B6/B8
    Items for Sale

Take the cover off hiding the fuel lines. Trace the lines back visually, theres one going to the wheel well and up into the engine bay. That is the one you need. The other one should go into the wheel well but upper part of it, that is the EVAP line. I believe if youre looking from the back of the car looking front, the left line is the line you need and right line is the EVAP.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 A4 Avant

What year is your car? Not familiar with the 3 port fuel filter but looking at your pics the rear of the filter has ďinĒ next to the outside line which will be your feed from the tank. The front of the filter appears to have an ďmĒ from what I can read which is going to the motor. 2nd line from the front should be your evap line. Iím guessing the rear center line on the filter is your return line and you just donít have a vent line on the 3 port setup. Is there a designation next to that nipple on the filter?

| 2.7t swap in progress | 034 RSB & Endlinks | Apikol snub | 17z BBK |Vogtland GT1 Coilovers | Moog adj. UCA's | Peeler reps |

| 2011 A4 Avant | Brilliant Black | Vogtland Coilovers | RSE's | 034 Sway/tranny mount | Q5 brakes |

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 A4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by gmudan View Post
    Take the cover off hiding the fuel lines. Trace the lines back visually, theres one going to the wheel well and up into the engine bay. That is the one you need. The other one should go into the wheel well but upper part of it, that is the EVAP line. I believe if youre looking from the back of the car looking front, the left line is the line you need and right line is the EVAP.
    No need to trace them back as only the fuel line will be going to the filter.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jjvwg View Post
    What year is your car? Not familiar with the 3 port fuel filter but looking at your pics the rear of the filter has ďinĒ next to the outside line which will be your feed from the tank. The front of the filter appears to have an ďmĒ from what I can read which is going to the motor. 2nd line from the front should be your evap line. Iím guessing the rear center line on the filter is your return line and you just donít have a vent line on the 3 port setup. Is there a designation next to that nipple on the filter?

It's a 2005 USP. The markings on the filter from the pic both look like a stamp that says N. I'll start taking stuff apart after work. I removed the large plastic cover that hides the metal fuel lines. One of them goes up the wheel well to the engine bay under the front passenger wheel and the other one goes somewhere else. I'm guessing the one that goes to the wheel well is the fuel feed and the other is the evap? Where should the evap be capped off because those fittings and cap I ordered dont seem like they would snap into the plastic connectors that come off the filter. But I could be wrong. Will start tearing things apart tonight
    Audi Club Bay Area

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10speed
    Items for Sale

This is pretty straight forward. The ones that go dead center in and out of the filter are the ones that go in the new filter.

If there are two other lines, one will go towards the driver's side of the car, that's the return. The other is the EVAP.
    - Clint

Current: 05 B5.5 Passat 4motion 1.8T - Jfonz Tune, Samco TIP waiting to go on: GTRS, 034 FMIC, 630cc Injectors, 034 HFC, Bilstein / H&R Suspension

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Seerlah View Post
    I would suggest ptfe lines vs rubber. Reason being is if you ever want to run e85,, then you won't have to redo them. You may tell yourself now you don't plan to run e85. But if you end up pushing decent amount of power, the e85 bug can hit you harder than other mod bugs do.

And with flex fuel vehicles becoming more popular, more stations are opening up. I would assume more and more stations will start selling e85 as time progresses (i.e. 3 stations that I know about ranging 5-15 minutes from my house now stock it, versus zero stations few years back).
    The hose I got is nitrile rubber. Not good for e85? I was thinking of running a 5 gallon water meth tank in the trunk because e85 is not common around here. And I plan on daily driving this build and going on trips with it. It would be annoying to have to plan trips around gas stations but I suppose if e85 would be more cost effective than meth I can order the other type of fuel line now. Is there anything else required for e85? Would my ev14 1000cc injectors work? Do I have to replace the entire plastic lines to the tank and pump? Aeromotive pump will work fine? Trying to get this thing all sorted and drive it.
    Audi Club Bay Area

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AudiA4_20T View Post
    This is pretty straight forward. The ones that go dead center in and out of the filter are the ones that go in the new filter.

If there are two other lines, one will go towards the driver's side of the car, that's the return. The other is the EVAP.
    Yeah I know the center ones will be plug and play. But didnt know which of the other two were for evap and return since the b6 1.8t doesnt have a return line coming off the fuel rail. But now I see how it's all routed, just didnt want to make a mistake .Thanks Clint!
    Audi Club Bay Area

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10speed
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Furly View Post
    The hose I got is nitrile rubber. Not good for e85? I was thinking of running a 5 gallon water meth tank in the trunk because e85 is not common around here. And I plan on daily driving this build and going on trips with it. It would be annoying to have to plan trips around gas stations but I suppose if e85 would be more cost effective than meth I can order the other type of fuel line now. Is there anything else required for e85? Would my ev14 1000cc injectors work? Do I have to replace the entire plastic lines to the tank and pump? Aeromotive pump will work fine? Trying to get this thing all sorted and drive it.
    I would just stick with pump gas + meth
    - Clint

AZ Member #

I would just stick with pump gas + meth
    Yeah I figured this would be easiest and I can always keep gallons of meth at home for when the 5gal tank starts to run low. Any particular meth kit you prefer over others ? I see a few options but AEM is the only ones that seem to make a 5gal tank so I'll order that tank regardless
    Audi Club Bay Area

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10speed
    Items for Sale

Yeah I figured this would be easiest and I can always keep gallons of meth at home for when the 5gal tank starts to run low. Any particular meth kit you prefer over others ? I see a few options but AEM is the only ones that seem to make a 5gal tank so I'll order that tank regardless
    I like Snow Performance but they're all similar. Did you see my response about the fuel lines?
    - Clint

AZ Member #

I like Snow Performance but they're all similar. Did you see my response about the fuel lines?
    Yeah I replied to it with quote. I'll start connecting it all after work and test it out before I have the tuner send me a return fueling file. All I have to do is not connect a vac line to the FPR correct ? Until the tune is loaded.
    Audi Club Bay Area

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10speed
    Items for Sale

Yeah I replied to it with quote. I'll start connecting it all after work and test it out before I have the tuner send me a return fueling file. All I have to do is not connect a vac line to the FPR correct ? Until the tune is loaded.
    yeah it'll be static 4 bar until then (as long as you put a 4 bar in the rail)
    - Clint

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

The point is to prep for e85, for future sake. Say 5 years from now stations start opening up around your way and then you want to run e85. At that point, retune and you are good to go. Injector size depends on injector duty. You basically want to stay below 90% to keep things safe. If your 1000cc can handle the extra 30% fuel necessary on e85, you are good to go.

For reference, I run 630cc on a CT2 5152 which flows like a gt3071r. I did not tune my car and never looked at the IDC. Never needed to, since person tuning my car did that for me. I recently redid the lines in the engine bay with those 5/16" hard line to -6an adapter (cool little adapters. skepital at first, but they actually work). This is on a b5 (return and feed hard lines in engine bay), so I am utilizing as much stock lines as I can (you can do the same using the evap and feed line). Then -6an braided ptfe lines in engine bay to 034 rail and Fuelab fpr. I plan to run ID 1000cc injectors. Then retune for both 93 and e85. Because like you said, e85 stations aren't everywhere and I will still want a pump gas tune. So switch tunes accordingly (i.e. 93 on road trips or leaving local area).

As for your other inquiries, you are going to have to research that yourself. But stock lines have been proven to be just fine with e85. It will clog the filter faster, so just be aware of that (i.e. will need to be changed more often, with some doing it annually). With my b5 I plan to bypass the stock filter (not sure how I want to go about this yet), sock filter on Walbro 274, then 40 micron mesh felter in engine bay. It will make it easier to change the filter for me. I only completed the engine bay portion so far. Have not even installed the Walbro pump (Bosch 044 currently in there) or even picked up bigger injectors. Current project, in a nutshell.
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like a bitch