Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

B8 S5 Tip-Tronic shifting in Manual issue

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I notice this after I've been driving for a bit...not right when I turn on the car. I'll have the car in Drive, knock it over to manual tip-tronic and when I accelerate from a stop. The car shifts into 2nd automatically by 3500 or so yet it will stay in 2nd until I shift it myself.

I had the car tuned by JHM a little over a week ago. Dont think that's part of the issue but I thought I'd mention it.

The car has 34,000 miles on it. Thoughts?
    2012 S5 4.2L Prestige
    Ibis White/Black w/ Carbon Atlas
    STaSIS Ohlins coilovers
    STaSIS exhaust
    STaSIS rear sway bar
    JHM tune

Veteran Member Four Rings wxsgt's Avatar
    AZ Member #

B8 so 4.2? It doesn't have a dsg. And what do you mean it shifts automatically but at the same time it doesn't until you do?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2010 Ibis White Audi A4 P+ l Upgrades: RS4 grill, Akebono Brakes, Debadged, Solo Werks S1 Coilovers, Targa Trophy Stickers(guaranteed 10+ HP) l
    2009 Ibis White Audi S5 Coupe | Upgrades: RS Grille |

AZ Member #

Nvm I reread sorry. Ya that is odd mine doesn't do that sorry.

2010 Ibis White Audi A4 P+ l Upgrades: RS4 grill, Akebono Brakes, Debadged, Solo Werks S1 Coilovers, Targa Trophy Stickers(guaranteed 10+ HP) l

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wxsgt View Post
    B8 so 4.2? It doesn't have a dsg. And what do you mean it shifts automatically but at the same time it doesn't until you do?

Fixed title.

So, I'll knock it over to manual in tip-tronic. The vehicle will be in 1st (it seems to only do this in first gear). I let off brake, I go, car accelerates but despite it being in manual mode, itll shift by about 3500-4000 on it's own. Once in 2nd, I can run it to 7000 no problem if I wanted until I personally shift it into 3rd.

Now, I havent driven my car in the last hour. I'm pretty sure I can go run it in first up to 6k and shift it normally. It seems to only do this after some semi-hard driving or even 15-20mins of regular driving. I'm currently experiencing the thermostat issue, so my car is very close to hitting the 3/4th's tick on engine temp when at idle and I'm going to diagnose if thats the issue with the dealer since I have an extended warranty on it (hoping its covered) so my only thought was maybe the car was protecting itself temperature wise and shifting it on its own. doesnt make sense either way though..
    2012 S5 4.2L Prestige
    STaSIS Ohlins coilovers
    STaSIS exhaust
    STaSIS rear sway bar
    JHM tune

AZ Member #

So are you doing wot when in first or no?

AZ Member #

So are you doing wot when in first or no?

From my observation the few times I noticed it occurred, if I go WOT, it won't. One example that had happened twice over the weekend when I was testing it out, I'd approach an intersection in manual, accelerate in first and before I crossed intersection it just shifted itself into 2nd.
    2012 S5 4.2L Prestige
    STaSIS Ohlins coilovers
    STaSIS exhaust
    STaSIS rear sway bar
    JHM tune

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by spense5 View Post
    From my observation the few times I noticed it occurred, if I go WOT, it won't. One example that had happened twice over the weekend when I was testing it out, I'd approach an intersection in manual, accelerate in first and before I crossed intersection it just shifted itself into 2nd.
    Right so if in wot itll hold more to stretch the gears but if not itll shift because of fuel economy generally

AZ Member #

Right so if in wot itll hold more to stretch the gears but if not itll shift because of fuel economy generally

Why is it just in first then? I get what you're saying but isn't that what Sport mode is for? I noticed after my recent tune of course that Drive is much more efficient, my car isn't in 3rd by 20mph and draining my tank but regardless of wot or not, I should be able to cruise in first in manual and hold it to redline. Even if I went wot by 3000rpm it would be nice to not have to question if it was going to put itself in 2nd before i punch it =/
    2012 S5 4.2L Prestige
    STaSIS Ohlins coilovers
    STaSIS exhaust
    STaSIS rear sway bar
    JHM tune

AZ Member #

Not the best for the transmission tho

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by spense5 View Post
    Why is it just in first then? I get what you're saying but isn't that what Sport mode is for? I noticed after my recent tune of course that Drive is much more efficient, my car isn't in 3rd by 20mph and draining my tank but regardless of wot or not, I should be able to cruise in first in manual and hold it to redline. Even if I went wot by 3000rpm it would be nice to not have to question if it was going to put itself in 2nd before i punch it =/
    I was thinking it was a fuel economy thing too.

What drive select mode are you in BTW?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S5Toks View Post
    I was thinking it was a fuel economy thing too.

What drive select mode are you in BTW?
    I dont have drive select, I'm Pre-FL
    2012 S5 4.2L Prestige
    STaSIS Ohlins coilovers
    STaSIS exhaust
    STaSIS rear sway bar
    JHM tune