Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

AZ Member #

Lease is up on A3, keep it or move to S3?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I currently have a 2015 A3 Technik fully loaded. My lease is up and I am not sure if I should buy it out or get the S3?
    When I purchased it I felt that I missed out on the S3 when it came out a few months later. Specifically the aggressive sound and the magnetic suspension.

I know the engine is better and has some better parts etc. But is it worth the $20k upgrade price? I could buy my A3 for $24k or the S3 for $43k.

I am wondering if I might just be happy to APR tune the A3 get a new exhaust and suspension? That route would probably be a lot cheaper.

What are your guys thoughts?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 RS 5; 2018 RS 3

For whatever it's worth, I had an A3 loaner recently with the magnetic suspension (which, I believe is the same system and tuning as in the S3), and I found it to be miserable. It felt sloppy even in dynamic mode. The RS 3 system or tuning seems to be much more sorted.

If you're otherwise happy with your A3, I'd say save the money and tune it yourself. I previously had a stage 1 GTI, which was a blast.

Veteran Member Three Rings Spinnetti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hmm.. In your shoes, I'd keep what you have. I like the mag ride, but not worth spending big bucks just to have that and the additional hp. You could spend $8k in mods and have have close to RS3 performance, or spend $4k and easily beat stock S3 performance. (I got a used S3, put $6k in mods and have a real beast though it looks mostly stock). The "big bang" upgrades would be an IS38 turbo and and tune, coupled with springs and rear swaybar. Everything after that is declining gains for the money.
    2015 S3: Uni Stage 2 ECU/TCU / Most of the 034 chassis and suspension catalog / APR Intake, Turbo inlet and Downpipe / ECS resonator delete / Neuspeed turbo muffler delete & discharge piping / 18x8.5 ET35 255/40
    2008 R8 V8 Manual: Uni 93 ECU tune / Avior Exhaust / 15mm Spacers / R8 Puddle lights / Custom mats
    1991 LS400: Literally every part replaced or modified in some way (24hrs of Lemons car)

Established Member Two Rings MkUrMark's Avatar
    AZ Member #

S3 mag suspension is a bit overrated. I’ve had it for 3 years and can tell if you it sounds fancier then what it actually is. If I do it over again I probably wouldn’t care to have it, hopefully next gen has a better setup.

If you want warranty, faster car, better brakes, better suspension the s3 maybe worth it
    2016 S3
    12' Golf R:. Stg 1+sold
    10' Gti sold
    06 A4 sold

The next generation isn't coming until the 2021 model year, can keeping the a3 and modding it a bit hold you off until then? (assuming you really like this size of car and want to stick with it).

all the little things that change between an A-model and S-model add up and give a different car feel and look, while individual items on their own are not a huge improvement.

A decent set of coilovers are much better the s3's magride.
    A nice exhuast will sound way better than the stock s3's, and you don't have to go to a sound level where everyone around you hates you.

... but something intangible will be missing and if that nags you, go for the s3, if not, keep and lightly mod.

Veteran Member Three Rings Spinnetti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by will13k7 View Post
    The next generation isn't coming until the 2021 model year, can keeping the a3 and modding it a bit hold you off until then? (assuming you really like this size of car and want to stick with it).

all the little things that change between an A-model and S-model add up and give a different car feel and look, while individual items on their own are not a huge improvement.

A decent set of coilovers are much better the s3's magride.
    A nice exhuast will sound way better than the stock s3's, and you don't have to go to a sound level where everyone around you hates you.

... but something intangible will be missing and if that nags you, go for the s3, if not, keep and lightly mod.
    Well said... I ended up with the S3 because I got it at an A3 pricepoint; otherwise I would have just modded up an A3.
    2015 S3: Uni Stage 2 ECU/TCU / Most of the 034 chassis and suspension catalog / APR Intake, Turbo inlet and Downpipe / ECS resonator delete / Neuspeed turbo muffler delete & discharge piping / 18x8.5 ET35 255/40
    2008 R8 V8 Manual: Uni 93 ECU tune / Avior Exhaust / 15mm Spacers / R8 Puddle lights / Custom mats
    1991 LS400: Literally every part replaced or modified in some way (24hrs of Lemons car)

AZ Member #

Lease is up on A3, keep it or move to S3?

$24k for a 3year old A3 or mid to low $30s for a 1-2 year old S3.

IMHO a modded A3 will never be an S3, I'd rather a base S3 than a modded A3.

****EDIT****
    You can get an S3 for roughly same price as your A3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    F80 M3

I traded my A3 for a S3. If i could do it again, i would have kept the A3.

AZ Member #

thanks for all the great replies guys! definitely helps. i'll probably stick with the A3 unless I am offered a great deal.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by schwabo View Post
    $24k for a 3year old A3 or mid to low $30s for a 1-2 year old S3.

IMHO a modded A3 will never be an S3, I'd rather a base S3 than a modded A3.

****EDIT****
    You can get an S3 for roughly same price as your A3.

sorry my prices were Canadian, so $18k USD or $33k USD

AZ Member #

Cars.ca yield better results?

GL OP