Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    Established Member Two Rings Snert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    371866
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN

    About to Go Stage II Plus from Bone Stock

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello,

    Still pretty new to the 2.0T and going to have it brought in Friday for some basic maintenance done, motor was just worked on about 1k ago and had new water pump, timing belt, head gasket and few other tid bits done. Car is sitting at 138K miles but before I send it off to Nur Technik to get it's Stage II done I wanted to know if their is anything I should have inspected or prepped before the big day.
    08 A4 Avant S-Line Quattro 6MT

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Four Rings mcpcartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 14 2011
    AZ Member #
    82586
    My Garage
    08 xB, 13 Ex, 16 Civic EX
    Location
    SoCal

    cam follower
    how many miles on the ignition coils/plugs?
    2007 2.0T Q 6MT, S-Line, Ti Package, BB
    Revo Stage 2 | JHM Stage 1 Clutch | K&N Drop in | APR HPFP | 034 HFC | AWE Catback | 034 SD Tranny & Motor Mounts | Neuspeed Snub | H&R Sport Springs | Bilsteins | Moog ACA | B5 Perches (removed) | RS4 RSB | ABT Drilled n Slotted Rotors | Redstuff Front & Akebono Rear | Podi Stepper Boost Gauge | Recaro's | H&R Spacers 15f/20r | Clear Corners w/Blackout | Smoked Frt Markers | Cupra R Lip | 20% Tint

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 02 2008
    AZ Member #
    32595
    Location
    Boonies VA
    Items for Sale

    Have you checked the cam follower?
    White Wagon
    MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12, Alpine PDX-V9 & PDX-F4, a few speakers here and there

    Twitter/Instagram: IDFront

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 17 2013
    AZ Member #
    117368
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II
    Location
    jersey city nj
    Items for Sale

    Enjoy the goodies with a good after it all dune
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

  5. #5
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 09 2009
    AZ Member #
    47537
    Location
    Minneapolis

    About to Go Stage II Plus from Bone Stock

    What upgrades are you having done?

    With those miles, Iím sure there would be some maintenance items to keep an eye on.
    Oil filter housing, vacuum pump, rear coolant flange.

    Do you burn oil?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 A4 2.0T Q. S-Line 6MT - Arctic White
    JHM stage 1, 034 hfc, Europaparts exhaust.
    Miro 111 18x8.5 et 35, 034 RSB.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    368804
    Location
    Cambridge Ontario

    these things barely hold together stock !
    I would seriously consider some extensive research before going stage anything !!!
    Not saying I wouldn't do it , but rather proceed with caution and step carefully, get your ducks in a row.

    Timing Belt
    Timing chain and tensioner
    Cam follower
    Rear coolant Flange
    Thermostat
    Vacuum pump leaks
    oil filter housing leaks
    Valve Cover cracks
    PCV system
    snub mount
    Engine mounts
    rings


    Just all kinds of odds and ends I would want to make sure is 100% over a few months before jumping in the deep end.

    Then be prepared for the codes lol
    Last edited by Theiceman; 08-08-2018 at 08:19 AM.
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Four Rings mcpcartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 14 2011
    AZ Member #
    82586
    My Garage
    08 xB, 13 Ex, 16 Civic EX
    Location
    SoCal

    Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    these things barely hold together stock !
    I would seriously consider some extensive research before going stage anything !!!
    Not saying a I wouldn't do it , but rather proceed with caution and step carefully, get your ducks in a row.

    Timing Belt
    Timing chain and tensioner
    Cam follower
    Rear coolant Flange
    Thermostat
    Vacuum pump leaks
    oil filter housing leaks
    Valve Cover cracks
    PCV system
    snub mount
    Engine mounts
    rings


    Just all kinds of odds and ends I would want to make sure is 100 over a few months before jumping in the deep end.

    Then be prepared for the codes lol
    All this even if you don't go stage II+ ......

    I went Stage II+ before doing most of this and dealt with them 1 at time as they caused me grief. That worked great for me because I got to enjoy the extra torque/hp during the maintenance period. But cam follower is a must before (also all the time) plus if your plugs or coils are due for a replacement a tune will push them over the edge immediately. The rest as its due (e.g. timing belt) / becomes a problem (e.g vacuum pump).
    2007 2.0T Q 6MT, S-Line, Ti Package, BB
    Revo Stage 2 | JHM Stage 1 Clutch | K&N Drop in | APR HPFP | 034 HFC | AWE Catback | 034 SD Tranny & Motor Mounts | Neuspeed Snub | H&R Sport Springs | Bilsteins | Moog ACA | B5 Perches (removed) | RS4 RSB | ABT Drilled n Slotted Rotors | Redstuff Front & Akebono Rear | Podi Stepper Boost Gauge | Recaro's | H&R Spacers 15f/20r | Clear Corners w/Blackout | Smoked Frt Markers | Cupra R Lip | 20% Tint

  8. #8
    Established Member Two Rings Snert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    371866
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN

    I believe they just replaced all the coil/plugs not even 1.5k miles ago. I will go over the paper work of service done when I get home. I don't believe I am burning or leaking oil anywhere. My main mechanic gave it a quick once over and even said he is shocked how clean the engine bay is. I will check the recent maintenance to see if the cam follower, oil filter housing, vacuum pump and rear coolant flange was done. If not we'll address this week and next before it gets it upgrade.
    08 A4 Avant S-Line Quattro 6MT

  9. #9
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Add MAF, O2 sensors and low pressure fuel pump to the list of things to make sure are good before you start modding.

    The turbocharger itself and the low pressure fuel pump are probably the 2 things that will be worked hard the most and manifest a deficiency first when going stage II.

    Iíd probably make sure your wastegate doesnít have any play and make sure your LPFP reads below 60% duty cycle before you do anything to increase power.

  10. #10
    Established Member Two Rings Snert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    371866
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN

    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    Add MAF, O2 sensors and low pressure fuel pump to the list of things to make sure are good before you start modding.

    The turbocharger itself and the low pressure fuel pump are probably the 2 things that will be worked hard the most and manifest a deficiency first when going stage II.

    Iíd probably make sure your wastegate doesnít have any play and make sure your LPFP reads below 60% duty cycle before you do anything to increase power.
    We're planning on switching to a HPFP for the tune.
    08 A4 Avant S-Line Quattro 6MT

  11. #11
    Veteran Member Three Rings A4_PimP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 18 2012
    AZ Member #
    86834
    Location
    Waterdown/Ontario/Canada

    My cars an 2006 and I'm pretty much a noob compared to the other guys on here. However I can tell you the things that I've had to replace since buying it a year ago and I'm running stock. As everyone said cam follower is a must to check. Coils, sparkplugs and air filter you should check as well. Since buying mine last year these are the things that have been repaired/replaced thermostat, coolant temp sensor, oil filter housing, serpentine belt tensioner, exhaust leaks. I don't know your skill level but I'd also suggest a vagcom cable. It's expensive but it enables you to change a bunch of codes, logging, check trouble codes as well as clear them and a lot more.

  12. #12
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Quote Originally Posted by Snert View Post
    We're planning on switching to a HPFP for the tune.
    Your car has both a high pressure fuel pump and a low pressure fuel pump. If youíre going stage 2 or 2 plus, youíll probably need HPFP upgraded internals for stage II and definitely need upgraded internals for stage II+.

    What Iím talking about is the low pressure fuel pump in the tank. If itís weak or on the way out, it might be a good idea to be proactive and replace it before you mod.

    Does that make sense?

  13. #13
    Established Member Two Rings Snert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    371866
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN

    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    Your car has both a high pressure fuel pump and a low pressure fuel pump. If youíre going stage 2 or 2 plus, youíll probably need HPFP upgraded internals for stage II and definitely need upgraded internals for stage II+.

    What Iím talking about is the low pressure fuel pump in the tank. If itís weak or on the way out, it might be a good idea to be proactive and replace it before you mod.

    Does that make sense?
    Yup, I am with you now!
    08 A4 Avant S-Line Quattro 6MT

  14. #14
    Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    368804
    Location
    Cambridge Ontario

    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    Your car has both a high pressure fuel pump and a low pressure fuel pump. If youíre going stage 2 or 2 plus, youíll probably need HPFP upgraded internals for stage II and definitely need upgraded internals for stage II+.

    What Iím talking about is the low pressure fuel pump in the tank. If itís weak or on the way out, it might be a good idea to be proactive and replace it before you mod.

    Does that make sense?
    should he upgrade to a RS controller also ?
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

  15. #15
    Established Member Two Rings Snert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    371866
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN

    I'll be sure to keep everyone updated and post dino numbers when I get them
    08 A4 Avant S-Line Quattro 6MT

  16. #16
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    should he upgrade to a RS controller also ?
    If he could find one, maybe just for the hell of it😀

    Our fuel pumps are actually pretty decent....when they arenít running 70-80% duty cycle because they have over 100k miles and are clogged with all types of shit that is. 😂

  17. #17
    Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 27 2011
    AZ Member #
    77478
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    these things barely hold together stock !
    I would seriously consider some extensive research before going stage anything !!!
    Not saying I wouldn't do it , but rather proceed with caution and step carefully, get your ducks in a row.

    Timing Belt
    Timing chain and tensioner
    Cam follower
    Rear coolant Flange
    Thermostat
    Vacuum pump leaks
    oil filter housing leaks
    Valve Cover cracks
    PCV system
    snub mount
    Engine mounts
    rings


    Just all kinds of odds and ends I would want to make sure is 100% over a few months before jumping in the deep end.

    Then be prepared for the codes lol
    Quit being such a baby, these cars are bulletproof!

    *nervously glancing at my b7 in the parking lot*
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

  18. #18
    Established Member Two Rings Snert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    371866
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles.waite View Post
    Quit being such a baby, these cars are bulletproof!

    *nervously glancing at my b7 in the parking lot*
    Don't look at it to hard!
    08 A4 Avant S-Line Quattro 6MT

  19. #19
    Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    368804
    Location
    Cambridge Ontario

    " don't Blink" ..okay maybe that was a reference for doctor who fans !!!

    you can stare at your car as long as you want, it will only break and the bills will be on you once you blink though :)
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

  20. #20
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 17 2015
    AZ Member #
    349632
    Location
    Michigan/Ontario

    Are these cars really that unreliable? Is this what us B8 owners can look forward to when we get to higher mileage? I'm in a 2011 and only at 85k miles.

    Obviously your cam follower is a huge catastrophe, so we got the upgraded roller follower :-)

    And obviously I am aware of our B8 problems like timing chain tensioner, oil consumption, and turbo wastegate. Other than that, they're not so bad, LOL.
    2011 B8 A4 ZF8HP // JHM K04-R // APR v3.1 // 034 HFC // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Snow Performance Stage 2 WM Injection // Bilstein B12 Pro-kit // Borla Downpipe // // Rockford 8" Woofers // JL 10" Sub // 2200 W // Audison BitOne DSP

  21. #21
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    No, first gen B8ís are far worse. If you have a 09-11 B8 A4 and your car is still running, you probably made it out of the woods. 😁

    Early B8ís had faulty chain tensioners, bad piston rings and turbo problems. All very expensive things to fix.

    Our cars just nickel and dime us to death with the occasional cam follower destruction thread, bad wastegate and PCV threads.

    Owning a B7 is more like death by a thousand paper cuts.
    Last edited by EvolutionArmory; 08-09-2018 at 09:56 AM.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    368804
    Location
    Cambridge Ontario

    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    No, first gen B8ís are far worse. If you have a 09-11 B8 A4 and your car is still running, you probably made it out of the woods. 😁

    Early B8ís had faulty chain tensioners, bad piston rings and turbo problems. All very expensive things to fix.

    Our cars just nickel and dime us to death with the occasional cam follower destruction thread, bad wastegate and PCV threads.

    Owning a B7 is more like death by a thousand paper cuts.
    this is so true ..... and they only seem to break in February at -20C or when its pissing rain ... they never seem to break in June / July when you can work on it leisurely on a Saturday afternoon with a beer.
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

  23. #23
    Established Member Two Rings SlvrArrw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05 2016
    AZ Member #
    384687
    Location
    Richmond, Texas, USA

    I bought my B7 w/45K miles.
    The first year I put 50K on w/ just oil and gas. It burns a little oil but I'm now @ 145K
    Considering how hard I drive it (chasing Challenger hemis), Audi is an excellent car.
    Just have to do appropriate maintenance preventatively.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Veteran Member Three Rings klrider44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 20 2014
    AZ Member #
    276508
    Location
    Doylestown PA

    Quote Originally Posted by A4x View Post
    Are these cars really that unreliable? Is this what us B8 owners can look forward to when we get to higher mileage? I'm in a 2011 and only at 85k miles.

    Obviously your cam follower is a huge catastrophe, so we got the upgraded roller follower :-)

    And obviously I am aware of our B8 problems like timing chain tensioner, oil consumption, and turbo wastegate. Other than that, they're not so bad, LOL.
    It really depends how the car was maintained. They can be an absolute disaster if not maintained, they need a lot of attention. They can be fun and take abuse but they need constant upkeep. It took me a long time to get my car to a point where I feel comfortable with the reliability. Along the way replacing turbo, pcv, valve cover, all timing components, vacuum pump, control arms, and much more. Some of that has to do with just being high mileage, but you get what Iím saying. If your not an enthusiast that does a lot of their own work, I would stay far away.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  25. #25
    Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 17 2013
    AZ Member #
    117368
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II
    Location
    jersey city nj
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by SlvrArrw View Post
    I bought my B7 w/45K miles.
    The first year I put 50K on w/ just oil and gas. It burns a little oil but I'm now @ 145K
    Considering how hard I drive it (chasing Challenger hemis), Audi is an excellent car.
    Just have to do appropriate maintenance preventatively.
    Im @ 240,000 miles rite now . Bought with 161,000. Did all upgrades @ 162,000. Been the out of it ever since. No issue's
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

  26. #26
    Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 27 2011
    AZ Member #
    77478
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Items for Sale

    Yea I mainly joke as my b7 hasnít ever broken down on me or left me stranded. And Iíve done nothing but basic maintenance on it over the past few years (cam replacement excepted) and itís been fine.

    But my engine is sick and it needs new piston rings. And itís just been feeling recently like it doesnít have a ton of time left on the clock. But this was all due to extreme neglect by the PO (that or extraordinarily bad luck for me, but I donít believe thatís the case).

    If you keep up with the small things, change your religiously every 7-10k miles, and keep tabs on the cam follower, youíre going to have a reliable car.

    Also Iíll echo the b8 issues. Iíve stockpiled all the parts to replace the whole timing chain and guide system on the wifeís 2012 Q5. So not excited for that job, but my cam phase adjustment is -6į so doom is not far around the corner.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

  27. #27
    Established Member Two Rings jtoribio6954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 13 2017
    AZ Member #
    401063
    Location
    Az

    As long as you are up on maintenance as said above and your running supporting mods, proper fueling, air and ignition you should run fine. With stage two id look into running the r8 red top coil packs as they are able to handle the higher request for ignition better than stock coil packs

  28. #28
    Established Member Two Rings Snert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    371866
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN

    Quote Originally Posted by jtoribio6954 View Post
    As long as you are up on maintenance as said above and your running supporting mods, proper fueling, air and ignition you should run fine. With stage two id look into running the r8 red top coil packs as they are able to handle the higher request for ignition better than stock coil packs
    Thanks for the tip!
    08 A4 Avant S-Line Quattro 6MT

  29. #29
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    My car is almost at a point where I think reliability will plateau and Iíll be able to enjoy a couple years of maintenance free driving. My only big maintenance item left is the cam timing parts and Iím getting close to 200,000 miles so I think itís time even though Iím not getting any codes for it.

  30. #30
    Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    368804
    Location
    Cambridge Ontario

    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    My car is almost at a point where I think reliability will plateau and Iíll be able to enjoy a couple years of maintenance free driving. My only big maintenance item left is the cam timing parts and Iím getting close to 200,000 miles so I think itís time even though Iím not getting any codes for it.
    Better 6 months too early than 5 seconds too late


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

  31. #31
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    Better 6 months too early than 5 seconds too late


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Exactly. I really want to get at least 5 more years out of this car so I might as well just do it now because Iím pretty sure it will only be a matter of time. Then the only other major item Iíll really have to look out for is my oil pump. 😀

  32. #32
    Established Member Two Rings jtoribio6954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 13 2017
    AZ Member #
    401063
    Location
    Az

    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    Exactly. I really want to get at least 5 more years out of this car so I might as well just do it now because Iím pretty sure it will only be a matter of time. Then the only other major item Iíll really have to look out for is my oil pump.
    When I was around 121,000k the guides for the oil pump chain tensioner was cracking so Iíd maybe look into replacing that

  33. #33
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Quote Originally Posted by jtoribio6954 View Post
    When I was around 121,000k the guides for the oil pump chain tensioner was cracking so Iíd maybe look into replacing that
    We shall see what the plan is in a few months. Depending on how fall and winter goes, I might try to budget drop in rods and a new OEM pump.

  34. #34
    Established Member Two Rings jtoribio6954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 13 2017
    AZ Member #
    401063
    Location
    Az

    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    We shall see what the plan is in a few months. Depending on how fall and winter goes, I might try to budget drop in rods and a new OEM pump.
    Ya go for it! Iíd do rings while your in there to solve the oil consumption issues

  35. #35
    Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 27 2011
    AZ Member #
    77478
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Items for Sale

    About to Go Stage II Plus from Bone Stock

    Yea Iím planning on drop-in Rods, and a bevy of new seals and random bits like mounts and shifter parts:



    Death by 1000 paper cuts. But itís going to be so nice knowing Iíve basicallly got another 100k out of the engine without any major maintenance.

    Later on maybe in a year or two I drop the pan and toss a new OEM pump in. Or maybe there will be a quality aftermarket pump by then?

    Once this engine comes out the question then becomes, do I sell my current engine as-is with the oil consumption issues clearly stated, or do I throw new rings in it and maybe hone the block and sell it as refurbed? Decisions decisions...
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

  36. #36
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Quote Originally Posted by jtoribio6954 View Post
    Ya go for it! Iíd do rings while your in there to solve the oil consumption issues
    Sorry, I thought rings and a hone was a given. Yes, Iíd replace those. My car doesnít use oil. It leaks some but doesnít consume it.

  37. #37
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles.waite View Post
    Yea Iím planning on drop-in Rods, and a bevy of new seals and random bits like mounts and shifter parts:



    Death by 1000 paper cuts. But itís going to be so nice knowing Iíve basicallly got another 100k out of the engine without any major maintenance.

    Later on maybe in a year or two I drop the pan and toss a new OEM pump in. Or maybe there will be a quality aftermarket pump by then?

    Once this engine comes out the question then becomes, do I sell my current engine as-is with the oil consumption issues clearly stated, or do I throw new rings in it and maybe hone the block and sell it as refurbed? Decisions decisions...
    I lost track of what I spent. Mods, maintenance, all I know is itís a lot. Lol!!

    Thanks for posting that break down. Now I have a rough idea of what the small odds and ends will add up to.

    Just got a compression test done to check out the general health of the motor. Getting about 215 PSI across the board so I donít mind throwing rods in it if the money is there when the time comes.

  38. #38
    Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 27 2011
    AZ Member #
    77478
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Items for Sale

    215 is solid. My b6ís 1.8t was hitting 190 across the board, and that was at 100k miles. My b7 was hitting 155-170 when I bought it at 54k and itís been burning oil ever since Iíve owned it.

    I hope to tear it down once itís removed and see what the issue is. If itís rings I might toss in some kobelschmidts and sell it.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

  39. #39
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Yeah. I have full confidence in these pistons and the block with 215+ across the board and a hair under 190k on the clock. Now the wait to see if I can prioritize it or not. I could say fuck it and send it but adulting and shit. 😀



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.