Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings mediapimp's Avatar
    AZ Member #

3rd brake light rattle

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My 3rd brake light rattles with bass from the subwoofer.

For anyone that has had the rattle there and fixed it, what exactly did you do to get it to stop rattling?

Thanks for any tips!
    2014 S5, Misano Red Pearl, S-tronic, B&O, Sport Diff, MMI Nav +, Nappa Sport Seats, Black Optic Package, Carbon Atlas Inlays || BC Forged RZ05 20x10 +25 in Brushed Black finish, AWE Touring Exhaust, APR Carbon Fiber Open Intake with APR Carbon Fiber Backpipe, H&R Coilovers, RS Style Grill, Deval Carbon Fiber Diffuser, RED LED Interior Lights

AZ Member #

Anyone?

Established Member Three Rings JWebb_C7_Comp's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A6 Comp, 2017 Q7

Quote Originally Posted by mediapimp View Post
    Anyone?
    Take it apart and use Tesa tape on everything... that stuff is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JWebb_C7_Comp View Post
    Take it apart and use Tesa tape on everything... that stuff is great.

Will do. I think I have some of that tape laying around.
    2014 S5, Misano Red Pearl, S-tronic, B&O, Sport Diff, MMI Nav +, Nappa Sport Seats, Black Optic Package, Carbon Atlas Inlays || BC Forged RZ05 20x10 +25 in Brushed Black finish, AWE Touring Exhaust, APR Carbon Fiber Open Intake with APR Carbon Fiber Backpipe, H&R Coilovers, RS Style Grill, Deval Carbon Fiber Diffuser, RED LED Interior Lights

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A6 Comp, 2017 Q7

Will do. I think I have some of that tape laying around.
    Good luck. I had a rattle after my sub too. Gone now after a yard of skin skin and and some tesa tape!

AZ Member #

Good luck. I had a rattle after my sub too. Gone now after a yard of skin skin and and some tesa tape!

Would you mind letting me know where exactly you put the tape? Thanks!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A6 Comp, 2017 Q7

Would you mind letting me know where exactly you put the tape? Thanks!
    My rattle wasn’t the brake light. It was the speaker deck. I used tesa tape on all wires and clips where plastic meets metal. Sounds skin on all metal under the interior deck. I also used sound skin under the interior of the D pillar.

AZ Member #

My rattle wasn’t the brake light. It was the speaker deck. I used tesa tape on all wires and clips where plastic meets metal. Sounds skin on all metal under the interior deck. I also used sound skin under the interior of the D pillar.

I have already used Hushmat on the rear deck. My rattle is coming from the 3rd brake light when there’s heavy bass.

Veteran Member Three Rings u2nelson's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Home of the CR-15 brace

I had a bit of third brake light rattle, I fixed it with a small dab of black silicon sealant on the bottom corners, just smooshed it in there. That was years ago, still gone. On a similar but unrelated data point, the deck lid has numerous little rubber feat and bumpers, and I get snaps and pops from them when they are not lubed. The other night I went for a drive and I thought something was wrong with my rear suspension, I was certain it was probably the anti roll bar, then I remembered again the deck lid is often the issue. I lubed it up with Adams VRT, and viola all is silent again. Amazing 2 minute fix.
    2013 S5 6MT / Monsoon Grey / APR Stage 2+ / AWE Touring+Res DP / EC Alu-Kreuz / EC USS system sways and links / Bilstein PSS10 coilovers / SPC ADJ UCAs / Spacers H&R 5R / EC Adj Short Throw Shifter / EC TF intake / Apikol rear diff mount / O34 Trany mount insert / BC Forged RS41 19x9.5ET20/ Mich PS4S 265/35/19 / Gyrodisk 2pc rotors / CR-15 Upper Strut Tower Brace / u2nelson@live.com

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by u2nelson View Post
    I had a bit of third brake light rattle, I fixed it with a small dab of black silicon sealant on the bottom corners, just smooshed it in there. That was years ago, still gone. On a similar but unrelated data point, the deck lid has numerous little rubber feat and bumpers, and I get snaps and pops from them when they are not lubed. The other night I went for a drive and I thought something was wrong with my rear suspension, I was certain it was probably the anti roll bar, then I remembered again the deck lid is often the issue. I lubed it up with Adams VRT, and viola all is silent again. Amazing 2 minute fix.
    When you say on the bottom corners, do you mean the bottom corners of the red light or the bottom corners of the black housing?

Thanks or the tip on the deck lid!

AZ Member #

Fixed it.

Ended up running a thin strip of foam tape all way across the front edge of the housing where it contacts the windshield.