Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Active Member Two Rings mediapimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 14 2018
    AZ Member #
    420638
    Location
    Texas

    3rd brake light rattle

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My 3rd brake light rattles with bass from the subwoofer.

    For anyone that has had the rattle there and fixed it, what exactly did you do to get it to stop rattling?

    Thanks for any tips!
    2014 S5, Misano Red Pearl, S-tronic, B&O, Sport Diff, MMI Nav +, Nappa Sport Seats, Black Optic Package, Carbon Atlas Inlays || BC Forged RZ05 20x10 +25 in Brushed Black finish, AWE Touring Exhaust, APR Carbon Fiber Open Intake with APR Carbon Fiber Backpipe, H&R Coilovers, RS Style Grill, Deval Carbon Fiber Diffuser, RED LED Interior Lights

  2. #2
    Active Member Two Rings mediapimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 14 2018
    AZ Member #
    420638
    Location
    Texas

    Anyone?

  3. #3
    Established Member Three Rings JWebb_C7_Comp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 11 2018
    AZ Member #
    412335
    My Garage
    2018 A6 Comp, 2017 Q7
    Location
    Chicago Burbs

    Quote Originally Posted by mediapimp View Post
    Anyone?
    Take it apart and use Tesa tape on everything... that stuff is great.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  4. #4
    Active Member Two Rings mediapimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 14 2018
    AZ Member #
    420638
    Location
    Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by JWebb_C7_Comp View Post
    Take it apart and use Tesa tape on everything... that stuff is great.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Will do. I think I have some of that tape laying around.
    2014 S5, Misano Red Pearl, S-tronic, B&O, Sport Diff, MMI Nav +, Nappa Sport Seats, Black Optic Package, Carbon Atlas Inlays || BC Forged RZ05 20x10 +25 in Brushed Black finish, AWE Touring Exhaust, APR Carbon Fiber Open Intake with APR Carbon Fiber Backpipe, H&R Coilovers, RS Style Grill, Deval Carbon Fiber Diffuser, RED LED Interior Lights

  5. #5
    Established Member Three Rings JWebb_C7_Comp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 11 2018
    AZ Member #
    412335
    My Garage
    2018 A6 Comp, 2017 Q7
    Location
    Chicago Burbs

    Quote Originally Posted by mediapimp View Post
    Will do. I think I have some of that tape laying around.
    Good luck. I had a rattle after my sub too. Gone now after a yard of skin skin and and some tesa tape!


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  6. #6
    Active Member Two Rings mediapimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 14 2018
    AZ Member #
    420638
    Location
    Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by JWebb_C7_Comp View Post
    Good luck. I had a rattle after my sub too. Gone now after a yard of skin skin and and some tesa tape!


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Would you mind letting me know where exactly you put the tape? Thanks!
    2014 S5, Misano Red Pearl, S-tronic, B&O, Sport Diff, MMI Nav +, Nappa Sport Seats, Black Optic Package, Carbon Atlas Inlays || BC Forged RZ05 20x10 +25 in Brushed Black finish, AWE Touring Exhaust, APR Carbon Fiber Open Intake with APR Carbon Fiber Backpipe, H&R Coilovers, RS Style Grill, Deval Carbon Fiber Diffuser, RED LED Interior Lights

  7. #7
    Established Member Three Rings JWebb_C7_Comp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 11 2018
    AZ Member #
    412335
    My Garage
    2018 A6 Comp, 2017 Q7
    Location
    Chicago Burbs

    Quote Originally Posted by mediapimp View Post
    Would you mind letting me know where exactly you put the tape? Thanks!
    My rattle wasn’t the brake light. It was the speaker deck. I used tesa tape on all wires and clips where plastic meets metal. Sounds skin on all metal under the interior deck. I also used sound skin under the interior of the D pillar.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  8. #8
    Active Member Two Rings mediapimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 14 2018
    AZ Member #
    420638
    Location
    Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by JWebb_C7_Comp View Post
    My rattle wasn’t the brake light. It was the speaker deck. I used tesa tape on all wires and clips where plastic meets metal. Sounds skin on all metal under the interior deck. I also used sound skin under the interior of the D pillar.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    I have already used Hushmat on the rear deck. My rattle is coming from the 3rd brake light when there’s heavy bass.
    2014 S5, Misano Red Pearl, S-tronic, B&O, Sport Diff, MMI Nav +, Nappa Sport Seats, Black Optic Package, Carbon Atlas Inlays || BC Forged RZ05 20x10 +25 in Brushed Black finish, AWE Touring Exhaust, APR Carbon Fiber Open Intake with APR Carbon Fiber Backpipe, H&R Coilovers, RS Style Grill, Deval Carbon Fiber Diffuser, RED LED Interior Lights

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Three Rings u2nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08 2012
    AZ Member #
    101892
    My Garage
    Home of the CR-15 brace
    Location
    Palmdale CA, United States

    I had a bit of third brake light rattle, I fixed it with a small dab of black silicon sealant on the bottom corners, just smooshed it in there. That was years ago, still gone. On a similar but unrelated data point, the deck lid has numerous little rubber feat and bumpers, and I get snaps and pops from them when they are not lubed. The other night I went for a drive and I thought something was wrong with my rear suspension, I was certain it was probably the anti roll bar, then I remembered again the deck lid is often the issue. I lubed it up with Adams VRT, and viola all is silent again. Amazing 2 minute fix.
    2013 S5 6MT / Monsoon Grey / APR Stage 2+ / AWE Touring+Res DP / EC Alu-Kreuz / EC USS system sways and links / Bilstein PSS10 coilovers / SPC ADJ UCAs / Spacers H&R 5R / EC Adj Short Throw Shifter / EC TF intake / Apikol rear diff mount / O34 Trany mount insert / BC Forged RS41 19x9.5ET20/ Mich PS4S 265/35/19 / Gyrodisk 2pc rotors / CR-15 Upper Strut Tower Brace / u2nelson@live.com

  10. #10
    Active Member Two Rings mediapimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 14 2018
    AZ Member #
    420638
    Location
    Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by u2nelson View Post
    I had a bit of third brake light rattle, I fixed it with a small dab of black silicon sealant on the bottom corners, just smooshed it in there. That was years ago, still gone. On a similar but unrelated data point, the deck lid has numerous little rubber feat and bumpers, and I get snaps and pops from them when they are not lubed. The other night I went for a drive and I thought something was wrong with my rear suspension, I was certain it was probably the anti roll bar, then I remembered again the deck lid is often the issue. I lubed it up with Adams VRT, and viola all is silent again. Amazing 2 minute fix.
    When you say on the bottom corners, do you mean the bottom corners of the red light or the bottom corners of the black housing?

    Thanks or the tip on the deck lid!
    2014 S5, Misano Red Pearl, S-tronic, B&O, Sport Diff, MMI Nav +, Nappa Sport Seats, Black Optic Package, Carbon Atlas Inlays || BC Forged RZ05 20x10 +25 in Brushed Black finish, AWE Touring Exhaust, APR Carbon Fiber Open Intake with APR Carbon Fiber Backpipe, H&R Coilovers, RS Style Grill, Deval Carbon Fiber Diffuser, RED LED Interior Lights

  11. #11
    Active Member Two Rings mediapimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 14 2018
    AZ Member #
    420638
    Location
    Texas

    Fixed it.

    Ended up running a thin strip of foam tape all way across the front edge of the housing where it contacts the windshield.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.