Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Overheating but not overheating...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    At the end of the work day I started my 2012 S5, drove out of my climate-controlled building (60F degrees) into 90F degree weather and within 5-7 minutes I got an alert and beep that I was overheating and should turn off the engine. I was right in the middle of 55mph traffic on a 4 lane highway so I babied it to make it to an exit. Within 3-4 minutes the warning turned off. The weird part is I kept an eye on my analog gauge and it never moved. it stayed in the middle like always. Bad sensor? Thank you guys in advance for any ideas of what caused this! (I searched the forum for something similar but couldn't find anything)

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

a lot of people will cite the thermostat on this, apparently that is a weak spot.

Veteran Member Three Rings NuVega's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If the analog gauge goes from complete cold to middle, then the sensor is working, and possibly the thermostat too because that means it's opening up. Could possibly have a few air bubbles in your system, they can cause slight overheating and disturb the sensor.
    - 2014 S5 3.0T Prestige - : Plain ole S5 w/ a few cosmetic mods...

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks to both of you. I may by a code reader and see from there since you both feel it COULD be SOMETHING and not just a fluke.