Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Recommended 100k mile s4 service items

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I just picked up my car and its a b6 s4 with 88k on the clock. Luckily it was a 1 owner that was taken good care of.

I had it inspected by a few local shops & the items currently on the to do list are...

1. Control Arms
    2. Coolant Reservoir needs replacing
    3. Valve cover gaskets
    4. Tires

I also just changed the oil lol. What other items should I replace in terms of maintenance? I'd prefer to try & stay ahead of issues. I'm waiting to worry about the timing chains until it starts showing some symptoms of needing them.

Any input would be appreciated.

Senior Member Two Rings PigDiesel54's Avatar
    AZ Member #

2006 Brilliant Red B7 S4 Avant 6MT
    2001 Cactus Green B5 S4 Avant 6MT
    2006 Brilliant Red B7 A4 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic

Established Member Two Rings icanfly's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 B7 S4 | STI Powered HandBuilt TarmacRallyCar | Skydiving Rig

Quote Originally Posted by gmansbu View Post
    So I just picked up my car and its a b6 s4 with 88k on the clock. Luckily it was a 1 owner that was taken good care of.

I had it inspected by a few local shops & the items currently on the to do list are...

1. Control Arms
    2. Coolant Reservoir needs replacing
    3. Valve cover gaskets
    4. Tires

I also just changed the oil lol. What other items should I replace in terms of maintenance? I'd prefer to try & stay ahead of issues. I'm waiting to worry about the timing chains until it starts showing some symptoms of needing them.

Any input would be appreciated.
    I pulled my motor at 100K on the dot to do the following preventative+mods (by myself in my garage).
    - Timing service + JHM Mechanical Adjusters and 1 electronic adjuster that I broke while putting everything back together
    - Rear Main Seal
    - Front Main Seal (great time to upgrade to LWCP)
    - LW Flywheel + Stage3 Clutch
    - Slave Cylinder on trans + fluid (upgraded trans mounts cause it's all out)
    - Oil Valley Gasket service (JHM IM Spacers cause it's all apart already + intake manifold flapper mod because I was bored one night)
    - Valve cover gaskets + half moon seals
    - Motor mounts ( I went solid - not for everyone but I love them!)
    - Front snub + Zero tolerence (easy since it's apart and I upgraded from Blue to Red)
    - Rear Diff mount upgraded from blue to red bushing
    - Headers + custom Hybrid Miltek setup

Things to check on the engine/drivetrain side
    Oil pan gasket
    Power steering lines (gonna happen, just a matter of when + do those while you have the motor out)
    CV's
    Hoses (be careful around the elbow at the front left side of the motor - the little guy tends to brake easily)

Suspension:
    All bushings front to back
    Shock mount bushings
    Swaybar bushings (great time to upgrade to stiffer sways)
    Control arms (I went fully adjustable as I was upgrading to better suspension on my already lowered car and was tired of eating up tires and it was all apart anyway)

Brakes:
    Check lines for rub and wear (upgrade to stainless)
    Change pads front and rear so you know what you've got (upgrade to LW Rotors)
    If you're feeling saucy, you can do the 18Z caliper upgrade (I love my setup and it took 2 hours to do when I changed out to LW rotors)
    Bleed with new fluid

Doing these things will give you a car that you don't have to worry about for another 100K and is all the preventative++ stuff that will end up causing you a headache in short order. And if you upgrade some of the parts, it totally changes the car. I realize that seems like a daunting list, but it's so easy once you've got the motor out and on the table. Again, I did this job on my own with a HF engine hoist on jackstands in a 1.5 car garage over 9 days (could have been 5 had I not broken the electronic adjuster and I was working the day job for 4 of those days).

let me know if you have questions about anything.
    slow is fast...

Senior Member Three Rings VenomGT9's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^^^properly done maintenance there
    And then add a supercharger while you're at it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Searching for my next Audi...
    05 Black G35 6MT- ARK / HOTCHKIS / EiBach / AAM
    98 XJ 4.0 4x4

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Unfortunately I'm taking the car to a shop to get the work done besides the basic stuff like oil changes etc. I have the garage space, but I'm too chicken to pull the engine myself let alone put it back together. That list of maintenance above looks amazing. I'd be afraid to see the labor cost of it all. Hence why I'm trying to slowly chip away at it little by little.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Unfortunately I'm taking the car to a shop to get the work done besides the basic stuff like oil changes etc. I have the garage space, but I'm too chicken to pull the engine myself let alone put it back together. That list of maintenance above looks amazing. I'd be afraid to see the labor cost of it all. Hence why I'm trying to slowly chip away at it little by little.
    I was both a newb on this platform and scared - there are DIY's for everything. You just need to rent the timing tools from JHM - everything else is just follow the steps, have a plan and use a good bolt management program. I also took 500 pictures through the project.
    You can do it. I was scared, then I did it - there wasn't a single "Shit, I don't know how I am going to do this" because I did the research - kept a laptop next to me the entire time and had the DIY's all pulled together. I also saved myself enough money in labor to get a supercharger - though I've not bought it yet...

You can do it.
    Trust the DIY's, your want to drive the car and be patient with yourself and the process.
    show the rest of the community how easy all of this is.
    you can reach out to me for any questions you have.
    Happy to jump on the phone and talk through it in detail.
    If you have a garage, you can do this project.
    slow is fast...

Senior Member Three Rings mark_ma's Avatar
    AZ Member #

As the rest have said, you can do it. Trust me. I too was scared and then I saw the light. Truth was spoken to me and I too believed.

If you haven’t read my build thread here is the link. Hope this motivates you to tackle this your self and save you some money.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ead-of-mark_ma

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark_ma View Post
    As the rest have said, you can do it. Trust me. I too was scared and then I saw the light. Truth was spoken to me and I too believed.

If you haven’t read my build thread here is the link. Hope this motivates you to tackle this your self and save you some money.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ead-of-mark_ma
    Mark_ma you went farther on the motor than I did - but needed/wanted to go. I knew I'd pull it again for the supercharger and check in on the headers so I left the head job/ring job out of this one and focused on service. as well, you've got one of the best doc'd mod/maint threads out there right now.

OP - you can do it. ride the backs of those that have gone before you, we are willing to share what we've learned.
    slow is fast...

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

If you have the garage space, you can and SHOULD do the work yourself. Tons of good people on here who can help with advice. Tons of good info too.

It can LOOK intimidating but it is not a complicated as it seems. You will save a metric ton of money and get a huge feeling of pride and accomplishment doing it yourself.
    2008 Audi S4 Cabriolet (Alpaka Beige Metallic)
    2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (Electron Blue)

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

You guys are Inspiring me. :) How many hours should I plan on the job taking me from start to finish? Assuming I do the timing chain service along with a few “small” extras. Also, my garage isn’t air tight and is detached from my house so it gets a decent amount of moisture. Since the car will be sitting with the engine out for weeks will this be an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage

You guys are Inspiring me. :) How many hours should I plan on the job taking me from start to finish? Assuming I do the timing chain service along with a few “small” extras. Also, my garage isn’t air tight and is detached from my house so it gets a decent amount of moisture. Since the car will be sitting with the engine out for weeks will this be an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    The rear of my car poked out of my garage - I hung a painters cloth over the back to close the garage. No big deal.
    The reality of the thing is 40 hours of work. There are big stages to consider, your experience will inform how long they take.
    Day 1
    8-9 hours
    Car setup (jack stands etc) 30 mins.
    Front end removal (the first time I did this, it took two hours - I can now do it in 20 minutes from shut down to service mode - but you'll go the full nut and remove everything and drain coolant/AC at this point)
    Harness and hose prep - 4 hours
    Under car prep (drive-line/cvs etc) - 4 hours
    call it a day and crack a beer

Day 2
    8-9 hours
    Double check everything is ready to disconnect - 1 hour
    link hoist and decouple everything front,interior,rear) - 4 hours
    big deep breath
    Slowly, carefully work the motor forward to get to rear-coolant line (this was the biggest shit during the project both pulling and reinstalling the engine) - 2 hours
    Get motor/trans out - another 2 hours
    Crack beer!

Day 3
    8 hours
    Do work and start ticking check boxes off the list of to-dos
    Put a dot of color on every bolt torqued to spec - count every bolt twice.
    crack beer!

Day4
    8 Hours
    Finish up where you left off
    Clean all the things
    get the motor and trans ready to reinstall
    get motor hanging in the bay
    ...beer

Day5
    8 hours
    slip that bitch back into its home
    reconnect, fill everything, bleed everything
    cross your fingers and turn the key without fuel pump fuse connected
    Poop a little, just cause
    put in the fuse - put in the key and victory lap that bitch around the block at 3 am!
    come home pour scotch and feel like a real man < insert nick offerman smile here).

30-50 hours depending on how it all goes...
    Every pipe/tube/hose you disconnect get's taped over, plugged in some fashion to prevent contamination.
    If you start on a thursday night and bust your ass fri-sun you can get the job done and be driving monday/tuesday.

You'll break stuff, run into problems etc. - count on it. don't try to do 'start friday running monday'... be realistic and give yourself time.
    slow is fast...

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Excellent thread, and very timely for me. I'm currently putting the cherry picker together, and other tools are arriving by the end of the week. Then I'll be gathering car parts. I'm trying to put together two lists, one for mods/upgrades and the other for preventative maintenance. In the discussion above, I didn't see any mention of water pump, thermostat, etc. I'm a bit above 100k miles, and I figure this is a good time to replace parts that are not expected to make it to 200k. I'm trying to scour the forum for mentions of parts that seem to be troublesome across lots of cars. Has anyone already collected such a list?

Established Member Two Rings triton6346's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Poop a little, just cause
    This ^^ is funny....and true!

icanfly: On a serious note, did you find any cylinder scoring? That seems to be a somewhat frequently found issue on these blocks. Maybe you didn't pull the heads off.

Also, more generally, is there a consensus on head gasket replacement? Since you've got it out it's easier to replace them now than at some other time when the engine is back in the car, but if you don't have an obvious leak or issue with the heads themselves...is it a don't fix if it ain't broke scenario?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by triton6346 View Post
    This ^^ is funny....and true!

icanfly: On a serious note, did you find any cylinder scoring? That seems to be a somewhat frequently found issue on these blocks. Maybe you didn't pull the heads off.

Also, more generally, is there a consensus on head gasket replacement? Since you've got it out it's easier to replace them now than at some other time when the engine is back in the car, but if you don't have an obvious leak or issue with the heads themselves...is it a don't fix if it ain't broke scenario?
    I did not pull the heads on this round. I know that I have *mild* scoring in two cylinders as seen via boroscope but I'm considering doing some of the internal build up that q_dubs has done on his turbo project. So the next pull I do will be to upgrade the headers again, do a full cylinder hone, possible internal upgrades and new jhm heads with the SC setup. This will include doing all related gaskets.
    slow is fast...