Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Lowering / Alignment questions

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi all, new here!

Researching suspension options for my '13 A5 2.0T.

My question, specifically, is: when do adjustable control arms become a necessity for proper alignment specs, i.e. camber? What is the drop threshold before you can no longer align to OEM specs, before needing adjustable control arms?

I've seen some reports of people using Bilstein's B12 kit (Eibach Pro Kit) with no need for adjustable control arms. Would this be near the limit? (1.0F, 0.8R) How about other spring options, H&R OE, H&R Sport, GMG, etc?

Thanks for your help!

Established Member Two Rings S5_01's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have the b12 kit on my s5 w/50k miles. Neg camber def increased though still within limit. However, within a few months of installing them, my bushings were shot. So now I have to replace upper control arms.
    2014 S5 | Ibis White | S-Tronic | B&O | Kohlefaser Lufttechnik Intake | CR-15 | Alu-Kreuz | Bilstein B12 Pro-kit

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S5_01 View Post
    I have the b12 kit on my s5 w/50k miles. Neg camber def increased though still within limit. However, within a few months of installing them, my bushings were shot. So now I have to replace upper control arms.
    Good feedback, thanks!

Veteran Member Three Rings NuVega's Avatar
    AZ Member #

When lowering you have to loosen the control arm bushing bolts and re-tighten at the new height, they should last just as long as they do when not lowered.
    - 2014 S5 3.0T Prestige - : Plain ole S5 w/ a few cosmetic mods...

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Pretty sure I have H&R sport, not 100% because they were already on the car when I bought them. I just got the car back from having some mods/service done and they recommended the adjustable control arms as the inside of my tires are wearing way quicker than the rest. I'm planning on doing it by the end of the year.. too many mods not enough $$!

Hope this helps!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MonsoonB8S5 View Post
    Pretty sure I have H&R sport, not 100% because they were already on the car when I bought them. I just got the car back from having some mods/service done and they recommended the adjustable control arms as the inside of my tires are wearing way quicker than the rest. I'm planning on doing it by the end of the year.. too many mods not enough $$!

Hope this helps!
    Helps, thanks! I suspected the H&R Sport would require adjustable control arms to get camber back within spec

Veteran Member Three Rings RockJGC's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CFaber View Post
    Hi all, new here!

Researching suspension options for my '13 A5 2.0T.

My question, specifically, is: when do adjustable control arms become a necessity for proper alignment specs, i.e. camber? What is the drop threshold before you can no longer align to OEM specs, before needing adjustable control arms?

I've seen some reports of people using Bilstein's B12 kit (Eibach Pro Kit) with no need for adjustable control arms. Would this be near the limit? (1.0F, 0.8R) How about other spring options, H&R OE, H&R Sport, GMG, etc?

Thanks for your help!
    I dropped mine right around an inch front & rear and was still able to get it aligned properly. I'm not sure how much lower you can go and still get the camber dialed in without adjustable control arms.

Veteran Member Four Rings JamesRS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S5_01 View Post
    This is just a sign of a bad/lazy install unfortunately, as said above, the arms should be slackened off and re-torqued at their new position, be lazy and the bushes are now permanently twisted so will fail pretty quickly.

You値l be fine with Eibach or H&R OE Sport, any lower and I would certainly check the camber to see where you are. I知 reasonably low on KW H.A.S and needed the adjustable arms to get the numbers back inside the factory spec. I知 currently at the maximum negative end of factory numbers, feels great and no abnormal wear.
    I accept a Stage II tuned S5 is quicker than an RS5
    Doug convinced me
    He's also the reason I don't come here much

Veteran Member Three Rings XCELR8's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm on the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit and had to use adj upper control arms to obtain proper alignment. I also had to modify my inner pinch weld/seam on both sides to avoid the arm from catching on the car. Ridiculous. It was quite a bit off with the oe upper ca's. Enough so I wore the inner shoulders of my snow tires off in four months of driving. Was okay as they were on the way out anyway.

Established Member Two Rings S5_SID's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S5 Quartz Gray Cab

I知 on H&R springs and needed to get adjustable control arms due to spacers. I知 running 15/20 on 19 peelers and was way out of factory alignment. I doubt I would have needed new control arms if it were just springs.
    Keep Deep Sea Alive!
    Deep Sea Diver Veteran 🇺🇸
    2011 S5 Cabriolet Quartz Gray Metallic 3.0T 稗&O百port Seats Peelers匹arbon Inlays筆ods to come...

Veteran Member Three Rings mcbuck's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Jeep, a Mini, and a 328 cab

Quote Originally Posted by S5_SID View Post
    I知 on H&R springs and needed to get adjustable control arms due to spacers. I知 running 15/20 on 19 peelers and was way out of factory alignment. I doubt I would have needed new control arms if it were just springs.
    Soooooo, explain how the spacers change the camber.....

I am pretty low on stock UCAs and old tires showed some inner tire wear after about 25K miles. Getting a fresh alignment next week and will have the toe zeroed out. Past experience has shown this to be effective.
    Had considered getting adjustable arms, but just replaced 275s with 285s and now have less than a finger gap between tire and inner fender so really cant go less camber.
    BUCK
    2013 RS5 Daytona Grey Pearl, X-pipe, 20% tint, Arc Audio/Alpine, interior/backup LED, 034 RSB, H&R sport, 10mm, V-FF 103, 285/30 DWS06, Girodisc, Hawk
    GONE - B7 A4 quatro, 2.0T, 6MT, 250K....dropped, tuned, and everything else

Veteran Member Four Rings JamesRS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I知 confused, do you mean you needed to pull in the camber because the wheel would rub due to the spacers? Spacers alone can not alter geometry other than track.
    I accept a Stage II tuned S5 is quicker than an RS5
    Doug convinced me
    He's also the reason I don't come here much

AZ Member #

going to leave this here so i can come back easily :D
    2014 A5 | Phantom Black | RS5 Grille | APR Stage 2| APR Down Pipe| AEM Intake | Eibach Anti-Roll Bars F/R | H&R Spacers 20mm/25mm | H&R Sport Lowering Springs |Zimmerman Sport Rotors- Hawk HPS Brakes |Hyper Black S5 Peelers
    2017 Q7 Premium Plus

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S5 Quartz Gray Cab

Quote Originally Posted by mcbuck View Post
    Soooooo, explain how the spacers change the camber.....

I am pretty low on stock UCAs and old tires showed some inner tire wear after about 25K miles. Getting a fresh alignment next week and will have the toe zeroed out. Past experience has shown this to be effective.
    Had considered getting adjustable arms, but just replaced 275s with 285s and now have less than a finger gap between tire and inner fender so really cant go less camber.
    Not totally sure about it, but it made my tires have a negative camber without the control arms. I was wearing the front inner tires fast without the adjustable control arms. I知 also thinking that was the case since I知 running stock 19痴 and 255s. I had an alignment done and it still wasn稚 within specs, so I had to go with adjustable arms...just for the front.
    Keep Deep Sea Alive!
    2011 S5 Cabriolet Quartz Gray Metallic 3.0T 稗&O百port Seats Peelers匹arbon Inlays筆ods to come...

Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

you sure there is no previous damage?
    Billy

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo

Veteran Member Three Rings mcbuck's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Jeep, a Mini, and a 328 cab

Not totally sure about it, but it made my tires have a negative camber without the control arms. I was wearing the front inner tires fast without the adjustable control arms. I知 also thinking that was the case since I知 running stock 19痴 and 255s. I had an alignment done and it still wasn稚 within specs, so I had to go with adjustable arms...just for the front.
    Just to clear up any misinformation - spacers have nothing at all to do with camber. They simply move the wheels further outboard.
    The suspension on our cars is designed to travel in an arc, so the more you lower the car or compress the suspension, the more negative camber you have (wheels lean in at the top). Adjustable upper control arms are designed to lengthen the upper pivot point, allowing the camber to be brought back into factory specs at the static ride height.
    Excessive negative camber is not totally at fault for inner tire wear, but when combined with toe-in it will destroy a set of tires pretty quick.
    BUCK
    2013 RS5 Daytona Grey Pearl, X-pipe, 20% tint, Arc Audio/Alpine, interior/backup LED, 034 RSB, H&R sport, 10mm, V-FF 103, 285/30 DWS06, Girodisc, Hawk
    GONE - B7 A4 quatro, 2.0T, 6MT, 250K....dropped, tuned, and everything else

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S5 Quartz Gray Cab

Lowering / Alignment questions

Quote Originally Posted by mcbuck View Post
    Just to clear up any misinformation - spacers have nothing at all to do with camber. They simply move the wheels further outboard.
    The suspension on our cars is designed to travel in an arc, so the more you lower the car or compress the suspension, the more negative camber you have (wheels lean in at the top). Adjustable upper control arms are designed to lengthen the upper pivot point, allowing the camber to be brought back into factory specs at the static ride height.
    Excessive negative camber is not totally at fault for inner tire wear, but when combined with toe-in it will destroy a set of tires pretty quick.
    Well it all makes sense! Thanks for the information.

I did only have the problem when I lowered the car. I was a little confused because I did springs and spacers at the same time.

Springs were the cause though, glad I understand it now.
    Keep Deep Sea Alive!