Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

AT doesn't shift

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello everyone, just got my transmission replaced and now it doesn't shift gears at all, I can put it to any gear, but there is zero reaction from the car.
    It looks like AT fluid doesn't get sucked into transmission.. (torque converter?) At this point, I already have to pay my mechanic for transmission swap and the car still doesn't run ... No transmission codes either...The main problem that I can't just buy torque converter, pay for another 13 hours of work and hope that it just gonna work... Any recommandations?
    Any help would be highly appreciated, thank you.
    Audi allroad 2004 2.7tt

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

If you had the transmission AND torque converter replaced with known good units, and you're sure there's enough trans fluid, check the TCM under the front passenger footwell carpet. There is a notorious water leak issue that floods the space where the TCM is and shorts it out. If there is any water in the TCM it's most likely fried. Find a replacement with identical part number and you should be okay. If you can't find matching part numbers you can use another Allroad TCM and have a mechanic reprogram it for your car.

Veteran Member Three Rings audinutt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 A8l 2001 A4TQM Avant

It sounds like he didn't engage the torque converter properly and damaged your pump which will cause it not to have any forward drive basically he ruined the new rebuild

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    98.5 A4 1.8T

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Wouldn't I have a code if it's TCM issue?
    I can hear torque converter working, but still not sure if it's picking up, also I can't really hear pump engaging, that's why I guess transmission doesn't get transmission fluid.
    As I understand you cant check TCM unit without unplugging the unit? So if you check it, then you have to reprogam it? And unfortunately, my mechanic isn't capable of doing that. He advises me to take to a dealership and I really don't want to do it, cause I'm a young AD member and don't make bank... At this point I'm almost ready to ship to Anchorage to have it properly diagnosed and fixed. if you know a good mechanic there, let me know.
    If you can guess any other things I can check before having it shipped - let me know.
    Thank you a lot

Registered User Four Rings Scotty@Advanced's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I would guess the pump drive tangs got sheared off on install. There will be no codes produced.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Antkozub View Post
    Wouldn't I have a code if it's TCM issue?
    Not always. Having the TCM (trans computer) submerged in water produces unpredictable behavior. I've seen the dash lit up light a Christmas tree, or just the DPN54321 display behave oddly, and I've also seen on several occasions absolutely no codes or dash warning lights whatsoever. In fact one I saw with a soaked TCM, only threw a air leveling system warning. The transmission would engage no gears. Replaced the TCM and cleaned out the wire harness side plug and the trans worked fine and the air leveling warning light went out. Water and computers don't mix - there is no COMPUTER COMPLETELY SUBMERGED IN WATER code.

Established Member Two Rings martinhnilsson's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty@Advanced View Post
    I would guess the pump drive tangs got sheared off on install. There will be no codes produced.
    I made this exact mistake. Most likely the central pump gear had the drive tangs sheared off and the whole pump will need replacing.