Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Stasis Motorsport Rebuild Life?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    New owner and lurker here...

I have the Stasis/Ohlins Motorsports on my B7 sedan, and the previous owner had them rebuilt by Feal about 8 months/10,000 miles ago. I had the car in for service/inspection and noticed that the driver rear was really wet, and knew it was a bad sign. Turns out that both fronts are starting to leak, that the driver rear is completely done. The passenger rear is the only one not leaking yet. The PO told me there was a 1-year warranty on the rebuild, but when I called Feal they told me there is no warranty on third-party rebuilds, only on their own products. They seemed pretty indifferent about it, blaming possible damage after they had them as the reason.

What is the normal life on the rebuild of these dampers? This is approximately 10k miles of street driving, and fairly solid roads. I'm hoping it's normally longer than this, as it seems costly to have to rebuild them that often. And I'd like to send them somewhere else (locally if possible), but Feal seems like the shop that is normally recommended here. I'm in the Seattle area, and believe Cantrell Motorsports rebuilds them, but I would guess their price will be much higher than Feal, although worth it if they last longer. Any other recommendations?

Thanks,
    Benjamin

Established Member Four Rings funkypterodacty's Avatar
    AZ Member #

10k service interval is what has been mentioned since their inception, it is just the nature of the inverted shock design. Increased wear on seals, even more so when these are street driven as it is much harder on the shock components than standard track conditions that are typically much smoother. I recommend Feal for the rebuild service, they've done two sets of Stasis Motorsports for me.

Consider purchasing https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_A4...SC_Suspension/ to get a little bit more life out of your suspension seals, they help to prevent dirt dust and grime from accelerating wear on those components.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Iíd have to have a look at my records from the PO but I think mine have around 20k on them. No unusual clunks or sounds, etc. There is a very small amount of weeping from one of the rears but otherwise theyíre ok. Iím slowly working my way through a laundry list of items to refresh my car and satisfy my OCD and a full suspension refresh is in the works, in a couple of months.

It looks like there are 3 main places you can send them to get refurbed; Feals, PSI and Ohlins in SC. Feals is the cheapest at around $250 a wheel and there havenít been any issues reported with the quality of their work, so that seems the be the driving factor of why most send their MS struts there. While cost will come into the equation, Iíve read a couple of posts from AZ members that used Feals and didnít get that long out of the rebuilt struts, before they had to be redone again. Iíd like to send mine to Ohlins but Iím guessing Iíll need to send a body part or two, as well.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks for the replies. 10k seems a little excessive, so hopefully they will last a little longer next time. The PO drove the car alot and put most of the miles on them, I'll probably only drive it 5-6k a year, so that should reduce some wear. I had seen a few other posts on those coilover covers, probably wouldn't hurt to add them during the next rebuild. I'll check around locally, but will consider Feal again if I don't find anyone to do it at a reasonable price.