Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by vliou View Post
    If I'm allowed to posit a theory here.

It's because Audi is far from a mainstream brand in Europe, versus say here in NA where it's right up there, from a sales figure standpoint as the other two German carmakers. Also, because n from America is MUCH larger than n from Europe. (n= number)
    Take a look at the link below:
    https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...ing-sales-9723

Audi sales in Germany alone are higher than those of the US and Canada combined and UK sales are still almost as high as those in the US. Europe is certainly not a growth market compared to the US and China, but it is still close to half of Audi's overall sales. I think the issue is twofold:
    - Europeans drive significantly less than Americans, so problems are more likely to appear for American drivers.
    - American drivers have higher expectations for reliability. In Europe, the bar is lower, with a more significant portion of the market composed of British and French brands, whereas in the US, the dominance of Japanese brands has resulted in a market that is less tolerant of unreliable vehicles.

Active Member Two Rings Filipao's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
    Take a look at the link below:
    https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...ing-sales-9723

Audi sales in Germany alone are higher than those of the US and Canada combined and UK sales are still almost as high as those in the US. Europe is certainly not a growth market compared to the US and China, but it is still close to half of Audi's overall sales. I think the issue is twofold:
    - Europeans drive significantly less than Americans, so problems are more likely to appear for American drivers.
    - American drivers have higher expectations for reliability. In Europe, the bar is lower, with a more significant portion of the market composed of British and French brands, whereas in the US, the dominance of Japanese brands has resulted in a market that is less tolerant of unreliable vehicles.
    Not necessarily true that we (Europeans) drive less km than "Americans".

The bar is not lower either. We have all the brands you get in the US too. No more, no less.

UK brands are gone since the 90's. There's no more competition from British Leyland.

As far as warranty goes, I have 5 years or 100,000km (62,137miles) whichever comes first. My S4 Avant is one of the first units from Sept. 2016 (2017YM) no issues.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Filipao View Post
    Not necessarily true that we (Europeans) drive less km than "Americans".
    It is demonstrably true that Americans drive the most miles, on average.
    http://internationalcomparisons.org/...portation.html

And why the use of quotes around "Americans"?

AZ Member #

It is demonstrably true that Americans drive the most miles, on average.
    http://internationalcomparisons.org/...portation.html

And why the use of quotes around "Americans"?
    I am so sorry. Wasnít meant to offend.

Was just referring also to Central, South America and Canada, not just the U.S., hence the quotes.

I do apologise.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Filipao View Post
    I am so sorry. Wasnít meant to offend.

Was just referring also to Central, South America and Canada, not just the U.S., hence the quotes.

I do apologise.
    How should I refer to residents of the United States? United Statesians?

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

How should I refer to residents of the United States? United Statesians?
    A lot of South Americans also refer to themselves as "Americans". Citizens of the United States are often referred to as "Americans of the USA" or "Americans of the United States" so yeah I can understand why someone from outside of the US, especially if they have a lot of dealings with South America, would make that distinction.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
    A lot of South Americans also refer to themselves as "Americans". Citizens of the United States are often referred to as "Americans of the USA" or "Americans of the United States" so yeah I can understand why someone from outside of the US, especially if they have a lot of dealings with South America, would make that distinction.
    Sorry, I've never heard any citizens of the United States refer to themselves with the one of the extremely clunky monikers mentioned above and I don't think foreigners should appoint themselves the arbiters of how the citizens of a nation must refer to themselves.
    Last edited by JD23; 09-24-2018 at 07:49 AM.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Sorry, I've never heard any citizens of the United States refer to themselves with the one of the extremely clunky monikers mentioned above and I don't think foreigners should appoint themselves the arbiters of how the citizens of a nation must refer to themselves.
    I think he was just being facetious.

Anyways, good info all around. Learned something new today, danke!

Signed,
    Canadian American.

Established Member Two Rings c99's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5 2.9TFSI

- Europeans drive significantly less than Americans, so problems are more likely to appear for American drivers. --- I don't know, I usually drive 15000 km/ year, my wife 20000

- American drivers have higher expectations for reliability. ---- I don't think so

In Europe, the bar is lower, with a more significant portion of the market composed of British and French brands --- No way, except France, there are no British cars, if You don't mean Honda (haha)

, whereas in the US, the dominance of Japanese brands has resulted in a market that is less tolerant of unreliable vehicles. --- Japanese cars are not dominated in Europe because they are full of rust after while, have uggly interiors and looks overall cheaper than European cars and they haven't good diesel engine (popular to these days, or to dieselgate days, in Europe).

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by c99 View Post
    Japanese cars are not dominated in Europe because they are full of rust after while, have uggly interiors and looks overall cheaper than European cars.
    Having recently done extensive queries about Japanese cars and rust, it surprises me that in 2018, the Japanese STILL struggle with rust. I was looking at a 1 year old LS460 here, and underneath the car = rust, rust rust everywhere.

I can look under any German car, even if it's 5 years old, and it's still near spotless (outside of surface corrosion on exhaust components, which is normal).

I don't know why the Japanese struggle with this, even today.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

No one is saying how others must refer to themselves, I'm just explaining how a lot of South Americans refer to themselves and how they make the distinction when referring to citizens of the United States.

AZ Member #

Oh God, I did apologise.

Veteran Member Four Rings will13k7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

This thread has vectored away from the OP countless times. Admins need to shut this down and start over.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Audizine mobile app
    2014 S4 | Glacier White | Premium + | DSG | 034 Drivetrain Mounts | ECS Slotted Rotors/StopTech Pads | IE Intake |

Administrator Four Rings Anthony's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 A4 2.0T Sedan

Agreed. OP, apologies that this thread has gone off topic. If you have any more info to add, simply let us know and we'll clean it up and reopen. Otherwise, you're obviously welcome to start a new thread about the subject. Regardless, myself and the Mod Team are here to assist should you need it.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910