Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 361 to 375 of 375
  1. #361
    Senior Member Two Rings JD23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12 2016
    AZ Member #
    374585
    Location
    Dallas

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by vliou View Post
    If I'm allowed to posit a theory here.

    It's because Audi is far from a mainstream brand in Europe, versus say here in NA where it's right up there, from a sales figure standpoint as the other two German carmakers. Also, because n from America is MUCH larger than n from Europe. (n= number)
    Take a look at the link below:
    https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...ing-sales-9723

    Audi sales in Germany alone are higher than those of the US and Canada combined and UK sales are still almost as high as those in the US. Europe is certainly not a growth market compared to the US and China, but it is still close to half of Audi's overall sales. I think the issue is twofold:
    - Europeans drive significantly less than Americans, so problems are more likely to appear for American drivers.
    - American drivers have higher expectations for reliability. In Europe, the bar is lower, with a more significant portion of the market composed of British and French brands, whereas in the US, the dominance of Japanese brands has resulted in a market that is less tolerant of unreliable vehicles.

  2. #362
    Active Member Two Rings Filipao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 25 2010
    AZ Member #
    68644
    Location
    Estoril, Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
    Take a look at the link below:
    https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...ing-sales-9723

    Audi sales in Germany alone are higher than those of the US and Canada combined and UK sales are still almost as high as those in the US. Europe is certainly not a growth market compared to the US and China, but it is still close to half of Audi's overall sales. I think the issue is twofold:
    - Europeans drive significantly less than Americans, so problems are more likely to appear for American drivers.
    - American drivers have higher expectations for reliability. In Europe, the bar is lower, with a more significant portion of the market composed of British and French brands, whereas in the US, the dominance of Japanese brands has resulted in a market that is less tolerant of unreliable vehicles.
    Not necessarily true that we (Europeans) drive less km than "Americans".

    The bar is not lower either. We have all the brands you get in the US too. No more, no less.

    UK brands are gone since the 90's. There's no more competition from British Leyland.

    As far as warranty goes, I have 5 years or 100,000km (62,137miles) whichever comes first. My S4 Avant is one of the first units from Sept. 2016 (2017YM) no issues.

  3. #363
    Senior Member Two Rings JD23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12 2016
    AZ Member #
    374585
    Location
    Dallas

    Quote Originally Posted by Filipao View Post
    Not necessarily true that we (Europeans) drive less km than "Americans".
    It is demonstrably true that Americans drive the most miles, on average.
    http://internationalcomparisons.org/...portation.html

    And why the use of quotes around "Americans"?

  4. #364
    Active Member Two Rings Filipao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 25 2010
    AZ Member #
    68644
    Location
    Estoril, Portugal

    Quote Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
    It is demonstrably true that Americans drive the most miles, on average.
    http://internationalcomparisons.org/...portation.html

    And why the use of quotes around "Americans"?
    I am so sorry. Wasnít meant to offend.

    Was just referring also to Central, South America and Canada, not just the U.S., hence the quotes.

    I do apologise.

  5. #365
    Senior Member Two Rings JD23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12 2016
    AZ Member #
    374585
    Location
    Dallas

    Quote Originally Posted by Filipao View Post
    I am so sorry. Wasnít meant to offend.

    Was just referring also to Central, South America and Canada, not just the U.S., hence the quotes.

    I do apologise.
    How should I refer to residents of the United States? United Statesians?

  6. #366
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 05 2012
    AZ Member #
    91253
    Location
    Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
    How should I refer to residents of the United States? United Statesians?
    A lot of South Americans also refer to themselves as "Americans". Citizens of the United States are often referred to as "Americans of the USA" or "Americans of the United States" so yeah I can understand why someone from outside of the US, especially if they have a lot of dealings with South America, would make that distinction.

  7. #367
    Senior Member Two Rings JD23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12 2016
    AZ Member #
    374585
    Location
    Dallas

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
    A lot of South Americans also refer to themselves as "Americans". Citizens of the United States are often referred to as "Americans of the USA" or "Americans of the United States" so yeah I can understand why someone from outside of the US, especially if they have a lot of dealings with South America, would make that distinction.
    Sorry, I've never heard any citizens of the United States refer to themselves with the one of the extremely clunky monikers mentioned above and I don't think foreigners should appoint themselves the arbiters of how the citizens of a nation must refer to themselves.
    Last edited by JD23; 09-24-2018 at 07:49 AM.

  8. #368
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 12 2009
    AZ Member #
    39770
    Location
    Waterloo

    Quote Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
    Sorry, I've never heard any citizens of the United States refer to themselves with the one of the extremely clunky monikers mentioned above and I don't think foreigners should appoint themselves the arbiters of how the citizens of a nation must refer to themselves.
    I think he was just being facetious.

    Anyways, good info all around. Learned something new today, danke!

    Signed,
    Canadian American.

  9. #369
    Established Member Two Rings c99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 28 2009
    AZ Member #
    39281
    My Garage
    RS5 2.9TFSI
    Location
    EU, CZ

    - Europeans drive significantly less than Americans, so problems are more likely to appear for American drivers. --- I don't know, I usually drive 15000 km/ year, my wife 20000

    - American drivers have higher expectations for reliability. ---- I don't think so

    In Europe, the bar is lower, with a more significant portion of the market composed of British and French brands --- No way, except France, there are no British cars, if You don't mean Honda (haha)

    , whereas in the US, the dominance of Japanese brands has resulted in a market that is less tolerant of unreliable vehicles. --- Japanese cars are not dominated in Europe because they are full of rust after while, have uggly interiors and looks overall cheaper than European cars and they haven't good diesel engine (popular to these days, or to dieselgate days, in Europe).

  10. #370
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 12 2009
    AZ Member #
    39770
    Location
    Waterloo

    Quote Originally Posted by c99 View Post
    Japanese cars are not dominated in Europe because they are full of rust after while, have uggly interiors and looks overall cheaper than European cars.
    Having recently done extensive queries about Japanese cars and rust, it surprises me that in 2018, the Japanese STILL struggle with rust. I was looking at a 1 year old LS460 here, and underneath the car = rust, rust rust everywhere.

    I can look under any German car, even if it's 5 years old, and it's still near spotless (outside of surface corrosion on exhaust components, which is normal).

    I don't know why the Japanese struggle with this, even today.

  11. #371
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 05 2012
    AZ Member #
    91253
    Location
    Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
    Sorry, I've never heard any citizens of the United States refer to themselves with the one of the extremely clunky monikers mentioned above and I don't think foreigners should appoint themselves the arbiters of how the citizens of a nation must refer to themselves.
    No one is saying how others must refer to themselves, I'm just explaining how a lot of South Americans refer to themselves and how they make the distinction when referring to citizens of the United States.

  12. #372
    Active Member Two Rings Filipao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 25 2010
    AZ Member #
    68644
    Location
    Estoril, Portugal

    Oh God, I did apologise.

  13. #373
    Veteran Member Four Rings will13k7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 11 2012
    AZ Member #
    91685
    Location
    Bay Area, CA


  14. #374
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    May 31 2014
    AZ Member #
    245327
    Location
    Nevada

    This thread has vectored away from the OP countless times. Admins need to shut this down and start over.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Audizine mobile app
    2014 S4 | Glacier White | Premium + | DSG | 034 Drivetrain Mounts | ECS Slotted Rotors/StopTech Pads | IE Intake |

  15. #375
    Administrator Four Rings Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 10 2004
    AZ Member #
    2
    My Garage
    2009 A4 2.0T Sedan
    Location
    Bay Area, CA

    Agreed. OP, apologies that this thread has gone off topic. If you have any more info to add, simply let us know and we'll clean it up and reopen. Otherwise, you're obviously welcome to start a new thread about the subject. Regardless, myself and the Mod Team are here to assist should you need it.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.