Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Veteran Member Four Rings Dr GP's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lexus RX 350

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
    Let's not forget that the earlier versions of the supercharged 3.0 (and DSG) had their own problems that were addressed later on.
    What problems are you talking about? Bad water pumps are an easy fix in comparison to a blown engine. And this thread is about engines not transmissions. Whole different discussion.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Sounds to me like this is an oil issue. First the type of oil they are using and second the intervals between changes. While some oils will allow you to go past the usual 5k marker I do not think with these motors or any performance motors it should really be recommended to go past that. Usual intervals should be 3-5k oil changes and I would recommend against using Castrol oils especially the ones at dealers. Whenever the dealer tossed their oil in my car it burned oil. Switching to Motul with the same weight I haven't burned a drop.... Its my personal opinion to do my own oil changes or provide my own oils rather than letting someone toss in something. There really is a Chemical difference in the way the oil breaks down possibly due to heat between Castrol and Motul.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by projectwoopass View Post
    Sounds to me like this is an oil issue. First the type of oil they are using and second the intervals between changes. While some oils will allow you to go past the usual 5k marker I do not think with these motors or any performance motors it should really be recommended to go past that. Usual intervals should be 3-5k oil changes and I would recommend against using Castrol oils especially the ones at dealers. Whenever the dealer tossed their oil in my car it burned oil. Switching to Motul with the same weight I haven't burned a drop.... Its my personal opinion to do my own oil changes or provide my own oils rather than letting someone toss in something. There really is a Chemical difference in the way the oil breaks down possibly due to heat between Castrol and Motul.
    I'm posting this again since it directly relates to your concern about type of oil. This is a used oil analysis of my S4 at the 4500 mile mark. I've compared this to two other UOA from SQ5's (Same Motor) and they all look in line with each other. The high copper is from our built in oil cooler. The higher Iron is just from break in. High Silicone is from new gasket materials. My point is that this one and the other two show healthy vehicles from this viscosity of oil. They also didn't shear the oil either. Castrol does have different quality grades of oil I'll give you that. The 5w-40 from the dealership is not that remarkable compared to Castrol's 0w40 that is available everywhere. Virgin oil Analysis (VOA) have shown this as well as UOA. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with dealer bulk oil but maybe you should try to the Castrol Edge 0w40 as its a heck of a lot cheaper then Motul.

I've been around long enough when people were flipping out when 20 weight oils came out and said no motors will last now that 40 weight and 30 weights were being replaced by 20 weights. While those heavier weights certainly still have their place, we shouldn't just come to the conclusion that a 20 weight isn't going to provide the protection we need. A lot of the reason people ran heavier weights was because the oil would shear down. Now oils have so many inorganic additives that this really isn't the case anymore. Some oils shear more then others but that's to be expected with the vast array of budget vs premium providers.

As to your 10k mile intervals this sample shows the Total Base Number (TBN) is very strong at 4500 miles and still has plenty of additives to provide the protection we need for longer drain intervals. The other SQ5 ran to 9900 miles and still had a TBN of 3.9. You need to change it when TBN drops to 1 or when TBN and Total Acid Number (TAN) cross but that's where the discussion gets complicated so I'll leave it there.

Right now the only people that know what caused the failure are the people that are going to be taking apart these motors. Even then it may be inconclusive as to what caused the failure. It very well could be that this oil spec is too thin for the tolerances of this motor I don't know. Since we are all speculating I'll play along and give my theory.

I believe that one of the supplier sent parts that were out of tolerance of weren't treated properly ( think heat treating and coatings) . I suggested we find out what build dates these failures have to see if we can find a correlation.

Really looking forward to having someone on the inside ( Audi Technician) shedding some light on this.

[IMG][/IMG]

Senior Member Four Rings 4ringnut's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Audi S4, 2017 Acura MDX

Still crickets from AoA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pedal Responce first responder.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 4ringnut View Post
    Still crickets from AoA

Was this ticking sound faint?
    I believe I have that sound. I hear it when I'm pushing on the throttle in the heavier side on lower rpms.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Shanx.24 View Post
    Was this ticking sound faint?
    I believe I have that sound. I hear it when I'm pushing on the throttle in the heavier side on lower rpms.
    yes and it gets faster with acceleration

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 4ringnut View Post
    yes and it gets faster with acceleration
    I hope it is not the same thing.
    I don't hear it during the day when driving. Only at night in residential streets where it is really really quiet. I can hardly hear it.

I hope everything works out for you.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Mine was the most audible on the highway. It wouldn’t hurt to take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234