Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

2.8 atq to 1.8 awm swap! Need some info first

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I have a '00 a4 avant. (Was my first car and dont wanna get rid of it lolol). It has the torquey but ehh v6 in it. Runs okay but looking for something a bit lighter, but a helluva lot more moddable. A guy is going to sell me a awm 1.8t out of an 01 a4.

My question is. What parts will I need from a 1.8 car in order to do this. My car is the 01a 5spd (2.8 has longer gears and I've been told stronger).

What things will I need to search for?
    Will the 2.8 subframe and mounts work?
    Someone said I have to use vcds to code the cluster ?????
    Any other information I may possibly need please let me know

Veteran Member Four Rings Nollywood's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Avant 420-R, Toyota Runx 1.4 16V

- The 1.8T motor, complete with wiring harness and ECU.
    - 1.8T power steering high pressure line (pump to rack).
    - 1.8T power steering gravity feed line (reservoir to pump).
    - 1.8T radiator and coolant lines.
    - 1.8T downpipe / CAT and exhaust mid to rear.

2.8 5-speed is longer geared, but not stronger than that of a 1.8T.

2.8 subframe and mounts will work fine.
    VCDS required to code the 2.8 cluster, to get accurate tacho reading for a 4 cylinder engine
    His:
    B6 420-TS Avant - RS6 4.2 BiTurbo, (BCY). B6/7 Hybrid "RS4" OEM Widebody Coming Soon.

Hers:
    2002 Toyota Runx, 1.4L DOHC 16V Auto.

Veteran Member Four Rings GrapeBandit's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Your best best would be to pick up a cheap donor car off CL so you have EVERYTHING you would need for the swap.

or

Here is an easier and cheaper approach:

Sell v6 station wagon.
    Buy 1.8tqm saloon.
    Say damn that was easy.
    Thank me later!
    CASABLANCA B5 1.8t
    BRILLIANT YELLOW B5 30V

PCV? Just dump it on the ground!
    click-> Buy My Wheels!<-click

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

@the first comment. Thank you. So basically a full 1.8t minus subframe and trans? I just need to hunt ecu, rad, and PS lines.

@2nd comment. A donor car might work. Definitely dont wanna get rid of the wagon. I prefer the wagon and rather keep it since it was my first car.(and avant b5 is rare here in CO, U.S.)

Thank you much for the input.

Where do I need to search for the instrument cluster coding. A quick google didnt give well results for me.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have the high pressure power steering line and the heater core hoses you need (pm me), and as far as I know, the manual radiators are actually the same between the 1.8 and the 2.8 but you can get a rad super cheap on ebay, I just picked one up for $30, the part thats different is the metal bracket sandwiched between the plastic core support and the frame that holds the snub mount. I actually have one of those too but im guessing shipping is crazy since its big and kinda heavy. You can grab one from a junkyard though and it should basically bolt in place of the 2.8 one. You can use the same subframe mounts for the motor, you just need the one motor mount for the 1.8 thats different. If you do swap the trans, use the 2.8 mounts on the 1.8 trans. I'm doing basically the same swap except in reverse.
    Last edited by points; 08-09-2018 at 09:17 AM.
    2000 S4 Stg 3- Tip
    2007 S4 6MT
    2012 S4 DSG EPL Stg 2

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 Passat 4Mo Wagon 1.8T 6sp swap,. 05 Golf

You will also need the radiator carrier and front crossover pipe as the snub mount will not line up. Then add the airbox/intake hoses and the heater hoses. The 1.8T is lighter but the V6 is smoother.
    You will need to do some wiring changes to the plugs behind the ECU. If you don't have coilovers, you will need new front springs.
    2001 B5 Passat Wagon, 4Motion, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. H+R Race from an A6Q, Konis, Custom 6pt strut bar, A8 front brakes. Coming soon: TT exhaust, Hotchkis 35mm S4 front and RS6 rear sway bars, FMIC, 240mm stage 2 clutch.
    2005 Golf 2.Slow.
    2001 B5 Passat V6 Wagon, FWD Tiptronic.
    2001.5 B5.5 Passat V6 5sp sedan.
    Former: 91 SHO, 83 5000S Turbo, 78 Supra, 86 Golf, 69 Chevelle SS, 2 Taurus wagons.

2.8 atq to 1.8 awm swap! Need some info first

Or donít do anything except build the 2.8 and supercharge that hoe like I did drive around proud that your Audi is different and isnít a wind up toy and you have some low end torque and instant boost with meth injection liquid intercooling!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Veteran Member Four Rings GrapeBandit's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Charging the 2.8 is only worth it if you can pick up the kit for crackhead prices, otherwise just boost up a 1.8t.
    CASABLANCA B5 1.8t
    BRILLIANT YELLOW B5 30V

PCV? Just dump it on the ground!
    click-> Buy My Wheels!<-click