Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings ducati's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Opinion 2014/15 328 Xdrive M wagon

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Im looking to replace my Audi soon and looking at this BMW.Did some research and it seems it has some pretty positive reviews.I know this is a Audi forum but what do you think?.I want to stay with either a wagon or maybe a SQ5
    Attached Images

Veteran Member Four Rings jschrauwen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A5 3.2 QTip, 00 A4 2.8 QTip, 90 300ZX TT 572whp 590wtq, Ducati TT2

I don't think the X-Drive is anywhere near as refined as a Quattro. How about an AllRoad?
    2008 A5|Ice Silver|3.2 QTip|Premium Pkg|Technology Pkg|B&O & JL10W0-4 sub|15/20mm spacers|HID Fogs|Ext. & Int. LED's|RS5 grill|AWE/K&N Intake|Quad tipped OEM mufflers|CF Mirrors, Spoiler & Diffuser|Facelift Ecode Tail lights|CR-15 Strut Bar|Ecode headlights|Alu Kreuz|ProdigyWerks 6pot 2pc 356mm front 350mm 2pc rear BBK|Eibach springs

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2019 Cayman GTS, 2016 Forester XT, 2013 S5, 2011 A4 avanti, 2004 TSX

An estroil blue M sport F31 looks so good! I almost trade in my E92 335i for one 1.5yr ago but then after test drove a b8 avant. A brand new F31 didn't drive any better than the 6 yr old A4 so I decide to keep my 335 and bought an used B8 avant with 4yr audi extended warranty as an extra car and still save myself 30k. If you properly done on a avant, it can looks really good too. But now I am trying to sell my E92 335i since I rarely drive it and it just act like a furniture now. So anyone want a beautiful blue 335i coupe RWD 6MT low mileage clean no accident with tastefully OEM+ mod, PM me.

DSCF2917.jpg
    2019 718 Cayman GTS 6MT
    2016 Subaru Dark Grey Forester XT touring
    2013 Audi Phantom Black S5 6MT Sport Diff, 20" BBS CH-R, Navi, B&O, PSS10, AK, EC sway, Alcon BBK, RS grille & Ecode
    2011 Audi Deep Sea Blue A4 Avant prestige, 19" OEM Ti rotors, PSS10, AK, sway, RS style grille + rear spoiler, Votrex diffusor
    2004 Acura Premium White TSX 6MT

Veteran Member Three Rings ducati's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hate the look of the Allroad.I own a B8 Avant now and just fed up with the timing chain and oil consumption.I drive about 30,000km a year so has to be reliable.I did read about the 2014 BMW engine some having issue with the time chain guides and oil pump issues but from the long term reviews it seems to be a good powertrain.

Veteran Member Three Rings Audi Advocate's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Im looking to replace my Audi soon and looking at this BMW.Did some research and it seems it has some pretty positive reviews.I know this is a Audi forum but what do you think?.I want to stay with either a wagon or maybe a SQ5
    Just say no. Audi is quattro - BMW? not. Personal choice but Audi's technology blows BMW out of the water. Except the M2 that's special in its own right ;) - I just wish we had the Avants like in Europe.

SUV's suck IMHO. Stick to Avants.
    Current #1 2012 S4 3.0T DSG Technik with Unitronic Stage 1+, Milltek res., KW V2 coilovers, StopTech BBK, Alu Kreuz, H&R Rear Sway, BBS CH-R's, Michelin PS4S, Disabled wink, De-badged, ZIZA LED's, 30% tint and fancy aluminum pedals - Current #2: Wife driven 2012 A3 2.0T Progresiv- stock

Senior Member Three Rings Tiny2000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4, Mercedes E350 estate wagon, BMW F800R

I previously owned a B6 A4 avant - loved that car... had to move to something slightly bigger for two car seats, and seriously wanted to get the BMW wagon. Liked the exterior styling, however didn't love the interior. Also wished it had a little more oomph for the engine - I could have compromised had the 335 or 335d engine were available

Also tried to love the B8 Allroad, but it still proved a bit too short on legroom in the back. Love the flared out fenders... low and wide all the way!

FWIW finally ended up with a Mercedes E350 wagon. Not easy to find, but the are very reliable (until they aren't!) and it has the larger room I was looking for. I love the styling personally, even though the rear end overhangs a bit much, and I've always admired the Mercedes fit/finish and solidness in build.

The member Jimmenez has an E63 wagon I believe he was selling recently... how does 500+ HP sound to you?
    2005.5 S4 - Milltek DP and exhaust, VMR 19
    2004 A4 3.0 Avant - Tein coilovers (getting leaky), S4 swaybars, rear spoiler, RNS-E & DVD

Veteran Member Four Rings Tanner's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '10 S4 / '13 BRZ / '16 Cayman GT4

Quote Originally Posted by jschrauwen View Post
    I don't think the X-Drive is anywhere near as refined as a Quattro. How about an AllRoad?
    It's all the same IMO. allroad doesn't even use a "true" quattro, primarily FWD and the computers decide when power should be sent to the rear.

Having said that, a friend has an allroad and doesn't notice the AWD system doing it's thing especially in snow.
    Mike

Established Member Two Rings base14's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    It's all the same IMO. allroad doesn't even use a "true" quattro, primarily FWD and the computers decide when power should be sent to the rear.

Having said that, a friend has an allroad and doesn't notice the AWD system doing it's thing especially in snow.
    Where did you hear that? My window sticker says standard equipment “Quattro permanent all wheel drive with 40:60 torque split”. It also says “ECS with off-road mode” whatever that means lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2013 allroad Prestige | APR Stage I | E85 (his)
    2010 Q5 P+ | OEM+ Build Thread (hers)

Veteran Member Four Rings Tanner's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '10 S4 / '13 BRZ / '16 Cayman GT4

Quote Originally Posted by base14 View Post
    Where did you hear that? My window sticker says standard equipment “Quattro permanent all wheel drive with 40:60 torque split”. It also says “ECS with off-road mode” whatever that means lol.
    This is the new "quattro ultra".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVvAX-O5Sds

It's here today with the current A4/allroad and Q5. And they're going to make it standard with longitudinal mounted engine. S cars are excluded.

I think it's all done in the name of saving that little bit of fuel and future hybrid integration.
    Mike

AZ Member #

I love the look of F31!
    I drove an X3 with that 2L turbo engine. It's very snappy/torquey/quick, but I didn't like it. Felt like a video game: press a button, boom you go quick, let off, done. It didn't do much for me.
    As mentioned above, 2014/15 has some engine issues, so tread carefully.

I have a B6 Avant and I recently bought E91 Touring with probably the most reliable engine BMW made: the N52 3.0L. They were made up until 2012, so perhaps you can find one. It's nowhere near my GTRS Avant in terms of performance, but the N/A engine is much much nicer to drive and I love it.

Either way, don't buy an SUV, get a wagon!
    2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Avant / 6-speed / Ultrasport - Unicorn rescue operation in progress.
    WTB: Mint condition silver B6 passenger fender.

Established Member Two Rings Sassenach's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I love the F31 aesthetically but found the interior tight (compared to a C6 Avant).

Here is one I saw in München

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Mythos SQ5, 2017 911.2 Guards Red, Black 20"HRE P101

Id go SQ5. I had a 335 that was brutal. BMW spent about $8-10,000 on it before warranty was up. Different motor in 328 but same electronic, run flats etc. SQ5 has as much or more room .
    As far as AWD systems go, really doubt anyone could tell the difference any where but on a track. Look for a B7 S4(with V8) wagon!!

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Jimminez@Nemesis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 E63 AMG S Wagon, 2018 Q7

I had a 2014 F31 for about 1.5 years. I was driving a B8 S4 and really liked the styling and driving dynamics even though it was down in power to the S4.

I’d say it was the perfect size for a daily family. Truck was surprisingly spacious but did have a cargo box for any long trips.

Yes the x-drive react differently in the snow compared to quattro. In dry conditions I’d say more fun.

I had a few problems with the small stuff. Trim behind steering wheels buzzed. Wind noise from b pillars. Sunroof intermittently didn’t work. All got fixed.

Biggest issue for me and the reason to look for something new was my transmission intercooler failed also damaging the transmission. No idea why. They fixed it but made me worried. Maybe over reacted but looked at the SQ5.

Loved it. Big boost in power. Similar space, maybe more. But mostly because it felt familiar.

I’d say if you haven’t driven one or an xdrive in the snow, wait to see if you’re okay with it before deciding.

Her is how mine looked. Loved how it ended though and actually considered another.

034Motorsport | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Sparco | Stoptech | TSW | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more