Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Need help with rear end clunk

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I've read the other posts that mostly point to the rear differential mount/bushing. And if it's that I'll be thankful. My rear upper control arms are dented up pretty good on the upper connection point so they definitely need to be replaced but i was told they were safe for now and i want to make sure they're the culprit before spending money fixing that if i have another more expensive issue.
    I'm getting a clunk when releasing the clutch but only under certain conditions. Usually under low rpm, low load scenarios. What I'm imagining is something being under a balance between accel and decel and that's when the clunk happens. If i give it a good acceleration it doesn't happen (unless i wait long enough to let the clutch out and let the load off the rear end.) It happens most when turning into my driveway and I'm giving it the little bit of gas it needs to get up the slope. Sometimes it will clunk clunk clunk as if it's slapping repeatedly. Usually the more i try to baby the clutch the more likely it is to happen. If i just pop the clutch out very quickly it won't happen. But if i give it any gas before letting the clutch out completely then smack. Does this sound consistent with the rear differential mount? Control arms? New differential?...Please no. My worst fear is sabotage by the shop i had it in for alignment last week. It seems every time i bring my car anywhere they either crack the plastic near the jacking points...slice a wheel well liner...set my car on fire...yes they actually set my car on fire torching the tie rod nut loose...new chips on the wheels...grease finger prints somewhere...somebody stop me. I won't name any names but they sell Tires and they're not Minus. I only go to them for a lifetime alignment i purchased BEFORE they set my car on fire. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Golfingewok; 08-04-2018 at 08:29 PM.

AZ Member #

And it does happen more frequently when turning as I'm going into gear letting the clutch out. I've made it happen without shifting only by gassing...letting it decel...gassing etc. But i have to get the timing right for it to do that. One other condition would be sitting in the driveway on a slight slope popping the clutch repeatedly but again i have top get the right "timing". I would look under there myself but i have no-one here that can drive stick.

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Either rear diff mount or maybe the middle bearing on the driveline. If this did intact come after an alignment, I would have their work looked over first. Could be a coincidence, probably not. If not, they didn't tighten something down properly

Sent from my SM-N920V using Audizine mobile app
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by VinnysS4 View Post
    Either rear diff mount or maybe the middle bearing on the driveline. If this did intact come after an alignment, I would have their work looked over first. Could be a coincidence, probably not. If not, they didn't tighten something down properly

Sent from my SM-N920V using Audizine mobile app
    Thanks for the response. I crawled under there this evening and in fact do have some strange blue powder/flakey stuff coming from the differential carrier mount bushing. It's all over the exhaust pipe. Not sure why it's blue. I don't think it's a performance mount. Should be black i think. But I'll take it as a sign that my problem is that. Do you know how safe it is to drive like this while waiting a few days for the part? I can park it if i must but it will be a struggle sharing cars.

AZ Member #

Just drive it easy
    No launching :)
    As hard as that is
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfingewok View Post
    Thanks for the response. I crawled under there this evening and in fact do have some strange blue powder/flakey stuff coming from the differential carrier mount bushing. It's all over the exhaust pipe. Not sure why it's blue. I don't think it's a performance mount. Should be black i think. But I'll take it as a sign that my problem is that. Do you know how safe it is to drive like this while waiting a few days for the part? I can park it if i must but it will be a struggle sharing cars.
    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

AZ Member #

And they actually only rotated my tires. This location claimed they couldn't do an alignment because they didn't have the proper "spreader" tool. The other location didn't have it either but they claimed it wasn't necessary. So either they really don't need it or my tires are going to wear prematurely. I'll try and post some pictures of my differential bushing covered in powdered Smurf if i can figure it out.

AZ Member #

Thanks Vinny. I've tried imagining what's happening back there but if i do drive it harder it doesn't happen. That's one of the reasons the differential mount didn't make sense to me initially.

AZ Member #

https://postimg.cc/image/ur5psfvjv/

https://postimg.cc/image/eu6xv4v9n/

I guess it's turning into blue powder as it heats up from friction? There's a nice coating all over the bushing in the first pic. I can't even tell what color the bushing originally is.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Get this rear diff mount i just put it on mine and helped a good amount

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Spule...A4-S4-RS4.html
    2008 DTM RS4

Instagram--@tjbradney

AZ Member #

Looks like a failing rear diff mount

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My build log