Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: RS5 SB or RS7

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

RS5 SB or RS7

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Starting a family in November and will likely be selling both my Mazdaspeed3 and 911 Turbo for one all around car. I was pretty set on used (2014-2016) E63S or RS7 but then when I was at the Audi dealership, they had me test drive a S5 SB which seemed like a perfect size. The only thing lacking was power. So then they told me the RS5 SB was just announced and would be coming in a few months.

Any of you cross shopping E63S/RS7 to the RS5 SB? How much is the MSRP for the RS5 SB going to be?
    Current Cars:
    2012 Mazdaspeed3:
    Past Cars:
    2007 911 Turbo: Exhaust/Tune
    1997 Dodge Viper: Hennessey 500 Package - 440rwhp/460rwtq
    2000 Miata:
    1990 Miata: T28 Turbo
    1994 RX7: A-Spec 500R Single Turbo
    2000 S4: Stage 3
    2005 GTO: Headers, cam, suspension, wheels, etc - 423rwhp/387rwtq

Veteran Member Three Rings 4Chio's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I just had my second son A month ago. what you need to look at it the size of these car seats. they can really cramp the front seats if you tall .
    2018 S6 Prestige sport
    2014 991 Cab C4S
    2018 S4 Prestige
    2017 Q7 Prestige
    (sold)
    2016 S3 Monsoon Gray Prestige | Sport seats| 19's W/ mag ride| Milltek Res valve
    2013 X5 M, 08 A6 4.2 Sline, 08 :.R32 ,07 S4 White/Black, 04 S4 6MT,

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I'm waiting for the RS5 SB and as far as I'm aware, no official pricing has been released yet BUT the assumption is that it should be similar to the RS5 Coupe just like the S5 Coupe vs S5 SB.

I Considered an E63/S but really want a hatch. I always loved the look of the A/S/RS7 but actually like the size of the A/S/RS5 SB better (personal preference).

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Would love to see pics of your 997

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 4Chio View Post
    I just had my second son A month ago. what you need to look at it the size of these car seats. they can really cramp the front seats if you tall .
    I'm not a tall guy, about 5'10 so I don't know if that would impact me.

Quote Originally Posted by heymoe View Post
    I'm waiting for the RS5 SB and as far as I'm aware, no official pricing has been released yet BUT the assumption is that it should be similar to the RS5 Coupe just like the S5 Coupe vs S5 SB.

I Considered an E63/S but really want a hatch. I always loved the look of the A/S/RS7 but actually like the size of the A/S/RS5 SB better (personal preference).
    I am with you on that. The RS7 is going to have way more power, but it is such a heavy/big car in comparison of the two cars I have now. I'm just worried that I would regret not having that extra power. My guess is a fully loaded new RS5 is going to be more than a 2014-2016 RS7 ($70-$85K)

Quote Originally Posted by tinman143 View Post
    Would love to see pics of your 997

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pics can be found on my FS: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...633327428.html
    Current Cars:
    2012 Mazdaspeed3:
    Past Cars:
    2000 Miata:

Veteran Member Three Rings 4Chio's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by HardHitter View Post
    I'm not a tall guy, about 5'10 so I don't know if that would impact me.

I am with you on that. The RS7 is going to have way more power, but it is such a heavy/big car in comparison of the two cars I have now. I'm just worried that I would regret not having that extra power. My guess is a fully loaded new RS5 is going to be more than a 2014-2016 RS7 ($70-$85K)

Pics can be found on my FS: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...633327428.html
    Hell im 5í6 and I had to move my seat up with car seat behind me so I moved it to my wife side. If you get the rs7 get A 16 and up . Yes itís big and heavy great for highway but not Canyon runs
    2018 S6 Prestige sport
    2014 991 Cab C4S
    2018 S4 Prestige
    2017 Q7 Prestige
    (sold)
    2016 S3 Monsoon Gray Prestige | Sport seats| 19's W/ mag ride| Milltek Res valve
    2013 X5 M, 08 A6 4.2 Sline, 08 :.R32 ,07 S4 White/Black, 04 S4 6MT,

Veteran Member Four Rings EuroB6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Audi Q7 PP Granite|Brown 2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 Granite|Red

The new model A7 will be released soon. Might be worthwhile to wait and see what the new RS7 will look like, or even the S7. To me, the current A7/RS7 models are a little dated. I would certainly go for the RS5 Sportback. The size is what got me into my S5 Sportback. But I think once the RS5 SB is released, I may be trading it in. The S5 is good, but the power is average. Itís hard to say anything is ďfastĒ, after driving my Hellcat.
    2018 Audi S5 Sportback PremPlus|Daytona Gray|Magma 20Ē Vorsteiner VFF107 TitaniumMachine/ABT HAS/ECS 12mm Spacers
    2016 Challenger Hellcat A8|Granite|Red 10.8@126mph STOCK
    2017 Audi Q7 3.0T PremPlus|Granite|Brown

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I had a 2013 RS5 but traded it in for a 2014 S7 because I needed more room. Iím back to and S5 now, a 2018 Sportback because the S7 was just way too big and didnít handle well. Much prefer the size of the S5 Sportback. Iím impatiently waiting on the RS5 Sportback.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I would expect a fully optioned SB RS5 to be right at $100k USD. The new model RS7 will be a year behind the new A7/S7 so don't expect to see that in the very near future.
    2018 Nardo Grey RS5 - Milltek Non-Resonated System, Roc-Euro Intake, 35% tint, TAD Grill Badge

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by KUbeastmode View Post
    I would expect a fully optioned SB RS5 to be right at $100k USD. The new model RS7 will be a year behind the new A7/S7 so don't expect to see that in the very near future.
    $100K for a fully loaded RS5 SB is too much for what it is IMO. For $30K less, you can get a RS7. Sure, not new, but don't think $100K for a RS5 SB is worth it.
    Current Cars:
    2012 Mazdaspeed3:
    Past Cars:
    2000 Miata:

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

$100K for a fully loaded RS5 SB is too much for what it is IMO. For $30K less, you can get a RS7. Sure, not new, but don't think $100K for a RS5 SB is worth it.
    A fully loaded M4 or C63s will run you the same money out the door. The RS5 base is at 70k. I paid $92k (with taxes) for mine fully loaded except dynamic plus. I didn't do dynamic plus because I wanted the adjustable suspension. A new RS7 competition is over $140k. It will take an RS7 with 30-40K+ miles to find for $75k. Also the new RS5 has tech the current RS7 doesn't like virtual cockpit and head up display to name a few. If you get an RS5 just don't fully option it out, and then if you are still concerned with power a simple tune would bring it to RS7 power levels with less weight. I was considering a E63S/RS7/M5 too but decided on the RS5 because the price made more sense than $110k+ for a much bigger car. I'd test drive an RS5 before discounting its price too much. Good luck on your decision, I spent months trying to figure mine out and just took delivery of my RS5 last week.
    2018 Nardo Grey RS5 - Milltek Non-Resonated System, Roc-Euro Intake, 35% tint, TAD Grill Badge

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yeah, using the RS5 Coupe as a guide, fully loaded + an exclusive color gets you right under $100k. Most of the ones I've seen for sale in my area tend to be configured to around $80-$85k. The $85k range is how I'd like mine to be configured.

Veteran Member Four Rings CanuckRS's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Starting a family in November and will likely be selling both my Mazdaspeed3 and 911 Turbo for one all around car. I was pretty set on used (2014-2016) E63S or RS7 but then when I was at the Audi dealership, they had me test drive a S5 SB which seemed like a perfect size. The only thing lacking was power. So then they told me the RS5 SB was just announced and would be coming in a few months.

Any of you cross shopping E63S/RS7 to the RS5 SB? How much is the MSRP for the RS5 SB going to be?
    I'm on my second RS7 after the first bit the dust and was replaced. It's an epic all-round vehicle with insane acceleration, and lots of space for the family, car seats, trips to costco, vacations etc... It's no track car but you're not looking for that kind of vehicle.
    I was also considering the RS5 SB, but since the RS7 seems just about right for size/space and i'm looking for at least that much in my next vehicle I'm going the E63S wagon route and will be ordering one this upcoming winter.
    Too bad you're in the States, i'll be selling my mint, low km RS7 early next year. (full front and more paint protection, ceramic tint, wheels, etc..)
    Also, it would be hard for me to go down in power as the RS5 ONLY has 450hp compared to the 560HP(and insane amount of torque) in the RS7 and even more in the new one coming out shortly.
    If you went RS7(definitely do 2016 or higher to get the refresh version)/E63S you wouldn't be disappointed at all imho, my only concern is that you would be sacrificing power and space in the RS5, but it might fit your lifestyle/wants better than mine.
    Cheers
    Last edited by CanuckRS; 08-06-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    2018 Porsche Panamera 4S Sport Turismo

AZ Member #

Also the new RS5 has tech the current RS7 doesn't like virtual cockpit and head up display to name a few.
    If you get an RS5 just don't fully option it out, and then if you are still concerned with power a simple tune would bring it to RS7 power levels with less weight.
    The tech and some of the interior design in the new RS5 is what is disappointing to me unfortunately. Most of it looks gorgeous, don't get me wrong, i just think they could have done a more modern design like Porsche or MB(although MB did the slap on screen for the C-series, bleh). Perhaps that would have driven up the price point too high though for Audi...

The virtual cockpit in the new RS5 is nice, but i am plenty happy with the mostly analog gauges in the C7.5 RS7. Audi went with the slap-on screen for the new RS5 which looks awkward and out of place and doesn't retract if you want unlike the RS7.

And the C7/C7.5 RS7 does have heads up display, the RS5 just has a newer version of course.

RS5 interior vs RS7

Panamera interior

E63 Interior

C63 interior, slap on screen

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yeah I agree, I test drove a new non performance RS7 and really liked it. I am coming from a 2016 S3 and I did really like the retractable screen. I really do love the virtual cockpit tho. I have no idea why they put a button in the RS5 to turn off the screen, pretty pointless. The same button in the S3 and RS7 would have retracted it.

Established Member Two Rings S3owner's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Personal opinion: RS7 is great, but as we are almost at the end of its production, I don't believe it is a good buy financially. Once the new gen (C8?) comes in ~2 years, it will see a massive hit. Checkout what happened to pre-facelift C7 RS7s (yet it was not too different from facelift version).

personally, I'd get E63s (sedan or wagon).

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S3owner View Post
    Personal opinion: RS7 is great, but as we are almost at the end of its production, I don't believe it is a good buy financially. Once the new gen (C8?) comes in ~2 years, it will see a massive hit. Checkout what happened to pre-facelift C7 RS7s (yet it was not too different from facelift version).

personally, I'd get E63s (sedan or wagon).
    That is exactly my problem. I want the RS7 over the E63s because even though they are the same year, the RS7 destroys it in performance potential (stage 2 RS7s running low/mid 10s?!?) and the interior is just so much more modern vs the E63s. But as you mentioned, with the new RS7 to probably be announced in the next year, the current generation will take a hit. But to offset that, the RS7 holds its value way better than the E63S in general so I think it'd even out?
    Current Cars:
    2012 Mazdaspeed3:
    Past Cars:
    2000 Miata:

AZ Member #

The moment I realized there is only rich people in this thread and I dont belong here.

Sick cars btw guys. If I could, I'd get an RS5. For now I'm stuck with an A4. Good luck on future purchases!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Audizine mobile app

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I actually think the RS5 interior looks better then the RS7. Yeah the screen is retractable in the RS7 but when they are up (which it will be when your driving) they basically both just sit on the dash. That aside, the virtual cockpit, center console and the way the carbon fiber sweeps across the dash just looks better in the RS5 to me. I think the Panamera looks the most modern but I don't liked that tilted center console. I also like how the screens are built into the dash on the E63. I still would have to choose the RS5 as the winner though. Something about the color choices and font on the Mercedes screens doesn't look right to me and all that carbon fiber is too much. The C63 is by far the worst though.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

That is exactly my problem. I want the RS7 over the E63s because even though they are the same year, the RS7 destroys it in performance potential (stage 2 RS7s running low/mid 10s?!?) and the interior is just so much more modern vs the E63s. But as you mentioned, with the new RS7 to probably be announced in the next year, the current generation will take a hit. But to offset that, the RS7 holds its value way better than the E63S in general so I think it'd even out?
    HardHitter, I'm in the same boat as you for the most part. I have a baby boy on the way with an expected due date of December 23rd. I was initially looking at the S6 but with the new A6 being released I didn't want to buy something that was going to be replaced within a year (S6 usually is about a year behind the A6). That lead me to the S5 Sportback which was just released in the states as of last year. I really liked the practicality of the hatch as I was contemplating getting an SUV. I was concerned about the size of the S5 SB though as I currently have a 2014 Lexus IS 350 F sport and I find the car a little on the smaller side. Though the S5 SB is not much bigger then the Lexus it just seems more roomy an comfortable. The back seats are also bigger. I test drove and A7 and the car is just bigger then I would like and not enough power. The S7 and RS7 are still a ways out but the size would still be an issue for me. When I caught wind that the RS5 SB was being released it just seemed like the perfect car for my needs. I've pre-ordered mine and with the base price released my build is estimated around $88k before taxes and title. I was looking at around $72k for the SB.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi RS4 2.9 TFSI

Unfortunately now E63s is a much better car right now.
    MY18 B9 Audi RS4 Avant / MY14 Fiesta ST

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi RS4 2.9 TFSI

Quote Originally Posted by evanseric21 View Post
    I actually think the RS5 interior looks better then the RS7. Yeah the screen is retractable in the RS7 but when they are up (which it will be when your driving) they basically both just sit on the dash. That aside, the virtual cockpit, center console and the way the carbon fiber sweeps across the dash just looks better in the RS5 to me. I think the Panamera looks the most modern but I don't liked that tilted center console. I also like how the screens are built into the dash on the E63. I still would have to choose the RS5 as the winner though. Something about the color choices and font on the Mercedes screens doesn't look right to me and all that carbon fiber is too much. The C63 is by far the worst though.
    Yes it looks better. C7 interior beginning to be really dated.
    MY18 B9 Audi RS4 Avant / MY14 Fiesta ST

Veteran Member Four Rings Avant4me's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The S/RS5 would suck for having a new born car seat.
    Doors shape would definitely impact easy input of carrier and I would guarentee that nobody would be very comfortable for very long.

I have two kids 2 1/2 and almost 4. No more infant carrier but still bulky car seats and they kick the nack of everything.

Have you considered the E63 WAGON? Its my current Dad car consideration if I unload my avant.
    I know its not super small or sporty looking but it does 60 in less than 4 seconds and still fun around the bends enough.
    ~2007 DTM A4 S-Line Avant, 6MT, Stasis cat back, RAI downpipe, JHM Stage2 93, JHM HPFP, HFC, APR snub mount, 034M SD Motor mounts, RS4 RSB, VMR 708 19x8.5 ET35 245/35/19, B5 perches, NEUSPEED sport springs ~

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have to disagree. The RS5 Sportback is definitely functional with a new born car seat. I seen a family of three with a rear facing car seat in a Mercedes CLA Coupe (4 Door). It was a tight fit but everyone looked comfortable. The CLA is definitely smaller then the RS5 Sportback.
    Its just about lifestyle. Monday thru Friday my wife and I rarely drive together. So it'll just be me and my son if I'm dropping him off or picking him up. On the weekends when were all together and we need space we'll take her SUV. If you had a larger family or it was the only vehicle then I could see how the size could become an issue.

I looked at the AMG E53 and test drove an AMG E43. I actually really enjoyed the ride and the interior was better then I assumed. It was also pretty spacious. I also test drove an BMW M550i the interior was ok and it didnt feel as fast to me as the spec sheet. It's also just a big car.

AZ Member #

Even in the RS7, an infant car seat setup is a pia and pretty tight.
    I don't think the RS5 would fare very well even though i'm sure they designed it to work, you will be swearing every time you have to get the little one in and out.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Yeah I agree, I test drove a new non performance RS7 and really liked it. I am coming from a 2016 S3 and I did really like the retractable screen. I really do love the virtual cockpit tho. I have no idea why they put a button in the RS5 to turn off the screen, pretty pointless. The same button in the S3 and RS7 would have retracted it.
    Retractable screens are no more in Audis as of May 3 of this year. The regulations surrounding mandatory backup cameras require them to be "instant on". The time required for the retractable screen to pop up before it displays an image conflicts with this requirement so Audi just stopped making the screens retractable going forward.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckRS View Post
    Even in the RS7, an infant car seat setup is a pia and pretty tight.
    I don't think the RS5 would fare very well even though i'm sure they designed it to work, you will be swearing every time you have to get the little one in and out.
    Okay I think I see your point. The lower roof line of the sportbacks does cause for smaller back doors and door openings. This can make getting the car seat in a little more difficult. Once the car seat is put in the car however there is plenty of space in a RS7 and a fair amount of space in the RS5 SB. I think like anything it will take some getting use to and maneuvering but after you find out what works then it'll be fine.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
    Retractable screens are no more in Audis as of May 3 of this year. The regulations surrounding mandatory backup cameras require them to be "instant on". The time required for the retractable screen to pop up before it displays an image conflicts with this requirement so Audi just stopped making the screens retractable going forward.
    Interesting, makes sense though. All the more reason to integrate all those screens for future models like they are doing for the new a6/7 etc... Susprised they didn't do it for the new A5 series too.

Quote Originally Posted by evanseric21 View Post
    Okay I think I see your point. The lower roof line of the sportbacks does cause for smaller back doors and door openings. This can make getting the car seat in a little more difficult. Once the car seat is put in the car however there is plenty of space in a RS7 and a fair amount of space in the RS5 SB. I think like anything it will take some getting use to and maneuvering but after you find out what works then it'll be fine.
    yes, once you're seated/in place there is enough room for the seat and passenger but not too much. the sloping roofline of the RS7 makes sitting back there for any extended period of time uncomfortable if you're anywhere hear 6' tall. in the RS5 SB, i can't imagine it being any better fwiw.

Senior Member Three Rings jpenneck's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckRS View Post

yes, once you're seated/in place there is enough room for the seat and passenger but not too much. the sloping roofline of the RS7 makes sitting back there for any extended period of time uncomfortable if you're anywhere hear 6' tall. in the RS5 SB, i can't imagine it being any better fwiw.
    Surprisingly, the A/S 5 SB has more rear seat headroom than the A/S 7. The new A7 also has more rear headroom than the previous model as the roof line was modified to give more vertical space.

I think the best thing for the original poster to do is swing by an Audi show room with a car seat and try it.

I remember years ago when my wife are & I were trying out a Volvo XC70, we took both of my kids and car seats along with us. We installed the car seats and then the 4 of us went for a test drive. The salesman insisted on coming with us so I told him he had to sit in the back (between the car seats) if he wanted to come along. Surprisingly, he decided to come with us and put a brave face on it, being jammed between the 2 front facing car seats. He actually had more room than I expected...
    Future - 2019 RS5 SB - Navarra Blue, Alu Optic Carbon, Dynamic package, Driver assistance, B&O, 5-arm-peak wheels.
    2013 RS5 - Sepang Blue, Alu-Optic, Black Alcantara, Nav, Sports Exhaust
    2012 Q5 - Ice Silver 2.0T, Premium+, Nav
    2012 S4 - Monsoon Gray, Prestige package, S-Tronic, Sports Diff
    2007 RS4 - Mugello Blue
    2000 S4 - Santorin Blue

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I am another one of the ones thatís contemplated this very thing. Love the look of the RS7 and RS5 SB, and was seeing good deals on used RS7ís. However, after looking at the amount of room and looking at the dated RS7(though nice) interior, I decided to keep waiting for an RS5 SB.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Rs5! Wonderful car!