Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

2012 V8 S5 Engine Temp Too Hot?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    It's quite hot right now during the summer's in central valley of California. Triple digits by 2pm. I noticed yesterday after about 20mi of Freeway driving (75-85mph) my temp gauge was hovering slightly above the midway point. I had the AC on, fan speed at 6, I turned that off. It dropped slightly and eventually got back to the midway point. I turned the AC back on, it kinda did the same thing. I tried with and without AC on and when I came to a stop for a bit, the gauge got to the 3/4 line at one point. I never passed that mark but it still made me skeptical if maybe a faulty sensor or what the issue could be. I just had the oil changed, I am 900mi short of a 35k mi service (covered still under and extended Audi warranty).

Thoughts? Anything known with the V8 models? Again, we are averaging a daily high of 101degrees the last couple weeks. I'm just noticing this as of yesterday.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have a 2011 V8 although we do not see heat in Ohio like you do, I did a full flush on the car and put Royal Purple ICE in there. Bottle advertises 25 degrees cooler, I have noticed a slight temp decrease. I would definitely try that considering you're hovering just above the midway range. I used the Royal Purple in my LS1 Trans AM as well, had no issues. hope that helps!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

The temp gauge on mine runs a knats ass over the mid point on my 2010 when the outside temp reads 109.

Established Member Two Rings AWDfreak's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Have you checked for any codes? I had these with my 2012 V8 before the thermostat failed. There was no CEL.

001433 - Thermostat for Mapped Engine Cooling (F265)
    P0599 - 001 - Short to Ground

If you have this code, it may be an indicator that the expected flow through the thermostat is abnormal and it may be failing.
    My thermostat was replaced before 40k miles as the car was running hot during 80 degree F temps.
    2012 B8 S5 Prestige 4.2, 6MT, Phantom Black/Black

Established Member Two Rings Corners4kids's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 A6 3.0T

I had the thermostat replaced on my V8 S5, RS4 and my wife’s V8 S4 during ownership of those cars. All displayed the same temp needle behavior you described. That V8 is scorching hot and they are known to eat thermos over time. Eventually you get a message telling you the engine is too hot and to stop driving. This was covered under warranty for the RS4 and my wife’s S4, but my S5 had 55k on it and I paid out of pocket. Maybe $1200. Not too bad, but not free. Hope your ext warranty covers it.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I have 2012 S5 as well and had the same problem a year or so ago at 40K miles and it was the thermostat. They seem to crap out at around 40-45K from what I've heard. GL

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
    Have you checked for any codes? I had these with my 2012 V8 before the thermostat failed. There was no CEL.

001433 - Thermostat for Mapped Engine Cooling (F265)
    P0599 - 001 - Short to Ground

If you have this code, it may be an indicator that the expected flow through the thermostat is abnormal and it may be failing.
    My thermostat was replaced before 40k miles as the car was running hot during 80 degree F temps.
    I'm new to the whole scene for checking codes...what do I need to see all that?

The temp outside could be like 98 or so and today on the dash it read 123 degrees at one point...thats so false. I also hit close to the 3rd tick up on my engine temp. I may call the dealer this week to see if its covered. Or should I call 034 or JHM? They're closeby

Established Member Four Rings Ape Factory's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5/Infiniti QX70S stormtrooper/Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary

I'd go with JHM honestly. They know what they're doing and are going to be less expensive. Plus they'll probably have a real mechanic and not just some "tech" working on your car.

I drive regularly in the 100-108 degree range during the summer and my gauge always sits just below the halfway point. Heck, I had three passengers and the a/c on full lugging around town and on the highway recently. No issues. Definitely get it checked like others suggested.
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red, 20x10 Klassen ID M10/AWE Tuning Touring Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN Upper Control Arms/CR-15 reinforcement bar/ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines/Apikol Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts/ECS front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts/034 Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head & tail lights/Black Lip Spoiler, Red Trim Start Button, black emblems/VCDS.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Waiting to hear back from dealer to see what warranty covers...they did a full detail/service prior to listing the vehicle and that was only 4 months ago.. =/ should i be worried with water pump? I am 800mi short of 35k miles and I was going to contact them for the 35k service anyway..

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

so this was taken 15mins ago on the freeway after maybe 15mins of freeway driving. I drove around town for 2miles or so and it dropped back down to half. Whent he A/C is and it reaches this level the air is almost room temp despite being on low. thoughts?? Just thermostat or water pump? I've had this car 4months to the day.

2012 S5 4.2L Prestige
    Ibis White/Black w/ Carbon Atlas
    STaSIS Ohlins coilovers
    STaSIS cat back exhaust
    STaSIS rear sway bar
    JHM tune

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 A6 3.0T

That’s what I was seeing before the issue became real bad. My advice, be careful driving that too much with the engine running that hot. Those aluminum heads and other parts do not respond well to continued high temperatures. You could end up replacing a lot more than just cooling system stuff.

Good luck to you with the warranty claim. Been there, done and paid for that out of pocket.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Corners4kids View Post
    That’s what I was seeing before the issue became real bad. My advice, be careful driving that too much with the engine running that hot. Those aluminum heads and other parts do not respond well to continued high temperatures. You could end up replacing a lot more than just cooling system stuff.

Good luck to you with the warranty claim. Been there, done and paid for that out of pocket.
    Appreciate that. How much is too much driving? I'd say I've driven about 300miles so far with temps getting into that range about half of that. I have 60miles to drive to the dealer when I take this in, should I have it towed? I have free towing with AAA/Audi but could be a hassle.

Also, anything I should specifically tell them to look for regarding this and what else it could cause? They are doing a full intensive 35k mile service as well but I want everything checked out off.
    2012 S5 4.2L Prestige
    Ibis White/Black w/ Carbon Atlas
    STaSIS Ohlins coilovers
    STaSIS cat back exhaust
    STaSIS rear sway bar
    JHM tune

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 A6 3.0T

As far as the tow goes, that’s kind of borderline. I drove my mine to the dealer when it was that hot, but stopped about 1/2 way to cool off for an hour. ‘‘Twas also winter when I did it. If you have free towing, I say deal with the hassle. Sooooooooo much better than a scorched engine. I would stop driving it around that hot for other errands though. Just my two cents.

At around 40-45k my coolant expansion tank developed a small crack. Maybe they can see that on yours. Audi is good at finding what needs work. These cars need love, but pay you back if you take care of em.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings AWDfreak's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Corners4kids View Post
    As far as the tow goes, that’s kind of borderline. I drove my mine to the dealer when it was that hot, but stopped about 1/2 way to cool off for an hour. ‘‘Twas also winter when I did it. If you have free towing, I say deal with the hassle. Sooooooooo much better than a scorched engine. I would stop driving it around that hot for other errands though. Just my two cents.

At around 40-45k my coolant expansion tank developed a small crack. Maybe they can see that on yours. Audi is good at finding what needs work. These cars need love, but pay you back if you take care of em.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    If you are running hot and want to try to keep driving, turn the cabin heat on full blast. When mine was running hot at the 3/4 mark due to a failing thermostat (~80F outside), running the heat full blast brought the temp down to the normal temp line (halfway). This allowed me to keep driving and not have to stop on the shoulder of the interstate. Your result may vary...
    2012 B8 S5 Prestige 4.2, 6MT, Phantom Black/Black