Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    No Czar here but thanks for the support! There are a lot of people with more experience here, I just bring an engineering perspective. I was researching as best I could for my situation - called and emailed all the vendors and came up with a goose egg. So I decided to figure out the ROW kit and apply that knowledge, but still ended up off by quite a bit on the front bump stops. I've had to put in too much time thinking about this.

Based on my experience and what I've read here, my recommendations for those who only want a moderate drop would be:

If money is no object and you are ok with maintenance, choose the B16/PSS10 ala SQive. I've heard no bad feedback on this kit for this car.

If you want a moderate drop to clean it up, just go with the well engineered ROW kit. You will be fine.

If you need to go lower but not too low, do the H&R 29001-3/B8, but find some audi sport bump stops approx 51-56mm front and approx 80mm rear and give them to your installer.

Although the KW SC is super appealing, the too low rear combined with further degradation over time has to take them out of the recommended list. Hopefully they will fix it soon with a different rear spring.

Veteran Member Four Rings SQive's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 R8 GT; 2016 SQ5; 2017 Q7

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Bullet View Post
    Based on my experience and what I've read here, my recommendations for those who only want a moderate drop would be:

If money is no object and you are ok with maintenance, choose the B16/PSS10 ala SQive. I've heard no bad feedback on this kit for this car.
    I've got about 40K on them and no noises, sag, or other complaints. I'm not sure what you mean by maintenance, but I haven't done anything to them and they're as good as the day they were installed.

Let me put it another way. . .I would be disappointed if there were any issues with these $2K coil-overs. About two weeks after they were installed we adjusted the height (easy), damper settings (super easy), and did an alignment and I haven't touched them since.

Yet another way. . .I've pissed away more than $2K on much more useless crap.
    2012 R8 GT, Suzuka with carbon fiber (#298 of 333)
    2017 Q7 P+, Ink Blue, Pistachio Beige, Warm, Vision, Bose, Towing (wife's ride)
    2016 SQ5, Sepang, Black Optic, Technology, BBS CH-R Gold 20x10.5 with 295's
    -2014 SQ5, Monsoon, Sans pano, totaled by a Xanexed-out broad in a Denali XL

AZ Member #

You're DFW so more speaking to those in more severe climates! My car has been so disgusting with sand/salt in the winter - from NYC up to northern NY - I'll post a pic sometime to show you what we deal with. People recommend treating the grooves and knobs various ways to keep them safe, that's the maintenance I'm talking about. But to be honest, if you get them set up right, maybe it doesn't matter if they freeze up, right?

Veteran Member Four Rings SQive's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 R8 GT; 2016 SQ5; 2017 Q7

Honestly, I've never given it a thought. These B16's and the GT's coil-overs are the first adjustable suspensions I've had. Probably a good idea wherever you are. Thanks for giving me something else to be anal about.
    2012 R8 GT, Suzuka with carbon fiber (#298 of 333)
    2017 Q7 P+, Ink Blue, Pistachio Beige, Warm, Vision, Bose, Towing (wife's ride)
    2016 SQ5, Sepang, Black Optic, Technology, BBS CH-R Gold 20x10.5 with 295's
    -2014 SQ5, Monsoon, Sans pano, totaled by a Xanexed-out broad in a Denali XL

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SQive View Post
    Honestly, I've never given it a thought. These B16's and the GT's coil-overs are the first adjustable suspensions I've had. Probably a good idea wherever you are. Thanks for giving me something else to be anal about.
    (New Yorker here) really not a big deal as long as they are stainless. When adjusting height just blow out the sand/debris with an air hose or wipe the threads with a rag. If you ever feel it wont turn just add some grease. A lot of the time when people complain they wont turn, they more than likely are trying to adjust it with the springs loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings messex's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    xr400

Ended up getting the spacer. Small price to pay to fix my stupid looking car. Lol
    Image1535954083.729108.jpg

Senior Member Three Rings 2BblkAudis's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 2BblkAudis View Post
    I've had my SC on for a few years now and they progressively lower. I've got the rears as high as I can get them without sacrificing safety and I just measured 29.25"FTG in the rear. Overall the ride isn't the same as when I originally installed them and honestly I think the rear sag has just deteriorated the ride quality due to the limited travel. I've trimmed my bumpstops and everything. I've decided to go H&R Springs with Bilstein B8s. This thread is helpful in possibly trying out the spacers to bring up the rear ride height. I'd love specific feedback from Q5/SQ5 owners on how everything works out.
    Quick update: Contacted KW via email and got in touch with a sales/technical advisor. They asked me to fill out their warranty claim form, basically provided them measurements of various settings and sent it back. They acknowledge I have an issue with my springs and said they would ship me replacement springs. The springs aren't currently available in the NA stock so they will be shipping directly from Germany and asked me to wait approximately 3 weeks.

Overall a good experience working with KW for the warranty.

Veteran Member Four Rings VroomVroom's Avatar
    AZ Member #

...Overall a good experience working with KW for the warranty.
    Wow. You are a gentleman. Not to rile you up, but after spending that kind of money, I couldn't do it. Having to wait that long (I'm rooting it's three weeks, but that "approximately" sure sounds like KW boilerplate) for the one component in the system that should not fail just doesn't seem right. At what point does this transition from aesthetic/convenience to an issue of safety? To top it off, you've got to dig back in and swap the parts.

I appreciate it's somewhat rock-and-hard-place at this point and you wouldn't want to chase good money after bad, but damn these guys and their "QC." All the best with this.
    --Jerry || 2016 SQ5 P+, Glacier White; Tech, Nappa, Black Optics, 21's.
    Suspension || H&R Springs - 29001-3; Bilstein B8 Dampers - 24-145985 (F) & 24-145992 (R)
    Wheels & Tires || BBS CI-R - CIR 0501 BPO, 20x10 ET25 Satin Black; Continental DWS06 275/40
    ...Formerly: 13' Q5 3.0T '12 Q5 3.2, '08 A4 Avant 3.2, '06 A4 Avant 3.2.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    Wow. You are a gentleman. Not to rile you up, but after spending that kind of money, I couldn't do it. Having to wait that long (I'm rooting it's three weeks, but that "approximately" sure sounds like KW boilerplate) for the one component in the system that should not fail just doesn't seem right. At what point does this transition from aesthetic/convenience to an issue of safety? To top it off, you've got to dig back in and swap the parts.

I appreciate it's somewhat rock-and-hard-place at this point and you wouldn't want to chase good money after bad, but damn these guys and their "QC." All the best with this.
    I've swapped out to the Bilstein/H&R combo already, so I'm not too worried about the timing. Once the replacement springs come in, I'll be putting the KW's up for sale.

AZ Member #

I've swapped out to the Bilstein/H&R combo already, so I'm not too worried about the timing. Once the replacement springs come in, I'll be putting the KW's up for sale.
    Hey @2BblkAudis, how do the two systems compare performance and comfort wise? You're in the unique position of having lived with both!

Established Member Two Rings messex's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    xr400

Just to close up this thread the spacers worked great. And now I can adjust the rear up and down a hand full. Great 40$ fix! 9C895F81-6EFB-47C2-BC4A-698E80DE6CFB.jpg5D0B2AD1-EF97-4547-BBD0-6EF2429F03D6.jpg

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Bullet View Post
    Hey @2BblkAudis, how do the two systems compare performance and comfort wise? You're in the unique position of having lived with both!
    Historically my first coil over was the H&R kit, then the KW Street Comfort and now the Bilstein/H&R combo.

Overall the best performance from a handling perspective it was the H&R coilovers, but the ride quality was "harsh" especially for the rear passengers.

KW Street comfort is probably the best all around that was family approved, meaning that I enjoyed it as is and the wife didn't complain. This was all when the ride height was around 30"GTF all the way around. Once the rears started sagging (29.25-29.5" GTF so ~1" difference made a HUGE difference in ride quality) it got really bouncy and uncomfortable. It was the best ride quality and low stance, on 22" wheels i had a one finger gap.

The current set up is a good alternative to stock with no height adjustment. I like it for the install and forget about it factor. So far this is family approved as well, but ride height is not a low as I'm used to so the "gap" does annoy me.

AZ Member #

Historically my first coil over was the H&R kit, then the KW Street Comfort and now the Bilstein/H&R combo.

Overall the best performance from a handling perspective it was the H&R coilovers, but the ride quality was "harsh" especially for the rear passengers.

KW Street comfort is probably the best all around that was family approved, meaning that I enjoyed it as is and the wife didn't complain. This was all when the ride height was around 30"GTF all the way around. Once the rears started sagging (29.25-29.5" GTF so ~1" difference made a HUGE difference in ride quality) it got really bouncy and uncomfortable. It was the best ride quality and low stance, on 22" wheels i had a one finger gap.

The current set up is a good alternative to stock with no height adjustment. I like it for the install and forget about it factor. So far this is family approved as well, but ride height is not a low as I'm used to so the "gap" does annoy me.
    Thanks for the rundown - it's great to get perspective from someone who's had multiple setups! Interesting how ride degraded so much with the springs sagging.

Senior Member Three Rings BG SQ5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 CBR1000RR

Quick update: Contacted KW via email and got in touch with a sales/technical advisor. They asked me to fill out their warranty claim form, basically provided them measurements of various settings and sent it back. They acknowledge I have an issue with my springs and said they would ship me replacement springs. The springs aren't currently available in the NA stock so they will be shipping directly from Germany and asked me to wait approximately 3 weeks.

Do you have a specific contact for them? I wonder if the replacements will meet the advertised range that no one has been able to meet without spacers and if they correct it prior to install for me. The main reason I havenít installed mine in a 1.5 yrs (!!) is because I donít want to do it twice.
    '15 SQ5 Daytona Gray
    APR stage 2 (100 v4) - BG TCU - Fluidampr w/iABED 187mm - aFe filter/034 tube/modified box - MercRacing stacked h/x - AWE Touring
    21" Forgestar CF10s w/295s - 034 mounts, RSB & end links - Alu Kreuz - ecodes - deAuto LEDs - VCDS - P3 w/ECA
    11.721 @ 118.14 (191 DA)

AZ Member #

Just received a package from FedEx today and they sent me two replacement springs.

Marking on the rear springs:
    - Before 8007 33E15
    - New 8013 28E18.

In general the process wasn't difficult working with KW, basically sent them the information they wanted and withing a few days everything was resolved. Only delay was that they didn't have the spring in stock in CA and had to ship from Germany.

If anyone is interested, I'll be cleaning these up and posting them up for sale in the near future. PM me if intersted.
    Last edited by 2BblkAudis; 10-30-2018 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Wrong part number referenced

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12