Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

S4 EA839 Motor Info

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/vi...5/ssp655-wg-en

I found this posted on another site and thought I would share it here.

This is some information overload that you can really nerd out to.

Some Highlights:

Forged Crank
    Cast Pistons (Boo)
    Piston Cooling Jets
    Hardened Rods
    Closed Deck Block
    Oil Cooler
    Built in Catch Can (Seriously PG 21)

Really interesting read. Seems like the main limiting factor for big HP builds when the ECU is cracked are the cast pistons. Everything else internal looks pretty stout. Lots of attention to cooling both coolant and oil wise.

Enjoy!

Senior Member Three Rings S4_Pedro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Some good enough here! Not bad at all other than the pistons haha

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Super cool, thanks for sharing.

Established Member Two Rings electron bom's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B9 S4 EVO IX

Very cool, thanks for sharing. I'm a bit confused. The document indicates the EA839 supersedes the EA837. I thought the engine code for my 2018 S4 was EA838?

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Here is a PDF copy. Thanks to benz240 on the other forum for making it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gru...ew?usp=sharing

AZ Member #

Awesome info. Thanks for posting it up.
    2018 S4 Prestige, Daytona Gray Pearl, Black Optic, S Sport, Napa Leather

2012 A4 Premium Plus, Monsoon Gray, Quattro, Navi, Push Start. VCDS mods needle sweep, windows up/down with fob, no wink turns, fogs as cornering lights.

Veteran Member Four Rings BoostEasy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 S5, S-tronic

Quote Originally Posted by -LoneStar- View Post
    https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/vi...5/ssp655-wg-en

I found this posted on another site and thought I would share it here.

This is some information overload that you can really nerd out to.

Some Highlights:

Forged Crank
    Cast Pistons (Boo)
    Piston Cooling Jets
    Hardened Rods
    Closed Deck Block
    Oil Cooler
    Built in Catch Can (Seriously PG 21)

Really interesting read. Seems like the main limiting factor for big HP builds when the ECU is cracked are the cast pistons. Everything else internal looks pretty stout. Lots of attention to cooling both coolant and oil wise.

Enjoy!
    Cast pistons are fine. They may have slightly less bend or break strength vs alum alloys used on forged pistons but on a forced induction engine, heat is what kills pistons 99% of the time.

Aftermarket forged are often worse vs cast because they expand more and crack the crown when it expands enough.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Audizine mobile app
    2014 S5 S-tronic. Phantom Black, 19" AG M590s, Akebono Pads, OEM RS5 Grill, Alu-Kreuz, Black Alcantara, MMI, Quattro Sport Diff, B&O sound, side assist.
    2011 335xi (gone)
    2008 335xi (gone)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Do they have this for the RS5 yet?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

thanks for the info, much appreciated. Curious on how hard we'll be able to push it when the ecu gets cracked

Registered Member One Ring ywang98's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I noticed the manual says the lubrication system is rated for specification 0W-20 and VW50400 engine oil. Does this mean we can run a thicker 0W-40 Mobile 1?

This thing is really complicated... pretty much everything is controlled by the ECU, including coolant flow. Hopefully it will last for a while.
    Last edited by ywang98; 11-14-2018 at 03:49 PM.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ywang98 View Post
    I noticed the manual says the lubrication system is rated for specification 0W-20 and VW50400 engine oil. Does this mean we can run a thicker 0W-40 Mobile 1?

This thing is really complicated... pretty much everything is controlled by the ECU, including coolant flow. Hopefully it will last for a while.
    I read through that whole thing and have never caught that! I would love to be able to run VW504. So many choices all easily available to get. The VW 508 spec is like looking for bottled unicorn blood.

Until something is formally released I'll stick with the 508 for warranty reasons only. Someone said the RS5 2.9 use 502/504. Not sure if that is true but our motors are similar with the exception of the shortened stroke on the 2.9 vs our 3.0

AZ Member #

I just returned a few boxes of the Mobile 1 0W-40 back to Costco (bought them on sale, free shipping) because I sold my R32 to get the S4. If I could "officially" use that oil, it'd be nice, like you mentioned. I talked to Pacific German about this (since they did the S4/S4 Avant swap). They are planning to run the 40 in the car eventually, but of course, this is not officially sanctioned by Audi/VW yet... except for what I found in the engine sefl-study guide from this post.

AZ Member #

I just returned a few boxes of the Mobile 1 0W-40 back to Costco (bought them on sale, free shipping) because I sold my R32 to get the S4. If I could "officially" use that oil, it'd be nice, like you mentioned. I talked to Pacific German about this (since they did the S4/S4 Avant swap). They are planning to run the 40 in the car eventually, but of course, this is not officially sanctioned by Audi/VW yet... except for what I found in the engine sefl-study guide from this post.
    So I messaged Vincenzo who is the Customer Experience rep on this forum. This was his response:

I can confirm that specifically for your engine, a certain type of oil is recommended by AoA for ultimate performance which is 508 00/509 00 Castrol EDGE Professional 0W20 Long Life IV. However, like you mentioned that specific type can be hard to find unless you're at a specialty European shop. I can confirm that the 504 00 can be used however, as long as it adheres to the information found on this TSB: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-1.22.2018.pdf. If that link doesn't work, navigate here https://www.audiusa.com/help/maintenance and click on "Approved Engine Oils for Audi vehicles". There should also be a sticker in your engine compartment that will provide you with the recommended oils if you want to reference that as well. Hopefully this answers all of your questions but please let me know if you can think of anything else! I am always happy to help.

The answer is still slightly contradicting from the standpoint of the engine compartment sticker which I believe says "Use ONLY 508 00 approved oil" With that being said I truly don't see an issue with using 504 00 spec oil. The only hold up to this might be the "B Cycle" that our engines run in. I'm not sure if a thinner oil is required to let these components function as they are supposed to.

I just got an oil change (first free one) and wont change the oil for probably a full year. I'm leaning towards using 504 00 and will hopefully have an answer by the time I hit that mark.

I performed a used oil analysis (UOA) on the factory fill and will continue to do so each change. Its entertainment for me anyway. The first one had a ton of break in material (expected) so hopefully the second one, which should happen at the 12-13k mile point, will show more of how the oil is protecting. Then I want to compare that one to the 504 00 and see what we get.

AZ Member #

The link doesn't work, and I can't find the approved oil list on the second link. But anyway, as you said, it's kind of vague.

I plan to do my first oil change at around 5K miles (as recommended by Tyler at Pacific German) myself using the 20 oil. It'll be a while since I only have 300 miles on the car. And I'll get the free one from Audi at the one year mark. After that, I may still do mine at 5K miles interval. But please keep us posted on your findings with the 40 oil since it is cheaper to use that oil and also slightly higher in viscosity.

Thank you.

AZ Member #

The link doesn't work, and I can't find the approved oil list on the second link. But anyway, as you said, it's kind of vague.

I plan to do my first oil change at around 5K miles (as recommended by Tyler at Pacific German) myself using the 20 oil. It'll be a while since I only have 300 miles on the car. And I'll get the free one from Audi at the one year mark. After that, I may still do mine at 5K miles interval. But please keep us posted on your findings with the 40 oil since it is cheaper to use that oil and also slightly higher in viscosity.

Thank you.

Here's the link: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-1.22.2018.pdf

It just shows what oil manufactures meet the specific specs ie 502, 504, 508 etc.

I wish it showed the oil recommended/ acceptable for each motor.

I'm going to dig a little more and see if I cant find a more clear answer. I believe Eurocodes is running a hybrid turbo on their S4 and are planning to run a 40 weight. Maybe they will provide some feedback as well.