Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings F80Dreamer's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nail In Tire...Gulp

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Nail is close to the sidewalll so can’t be fixed. Dealership quoted $408 price installed for one tire. Holy hell...someone explain to me how this is possible, and how Hankooks can be that much more expensive than Michelin Pilot Super Sports??
    2018 S4 — current ride
    2017 M3 — sold
    2012 M3 — sold
    2015 GTI — sold
    2015 Mustang — sold
    2011 335is — sold

Established Member Two Rings borisf's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Imola Yellow RS4

Quote Originally Posted by F80Dreamer View Post
    Nail is close to the sidewalll so can’t be fixed. Dealership quoted $408 price installed for one tire. Holy hell...someone explain to me how this is possible, and how Hankooks can be that much more expensive than Michelin Pilot Super Sports??
    Answer in Bold.
    07 RS4
    93 RX7
    18 Tiguan MQB

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by borisf View Post
    Answer in Bold.
    I know 😀, I didn’t buy it from them. Started doing some research though and found out getting a replacement tire from a place like Discount Tire is similar, but not the exact same tire. Slight spec differences for the OE tire thru the dealership.
    2018 S4 — current ride
    2017 M3 — sold
    2012 M3 — sold
    2015 GTI — sold
    2015 Mustang — sold
    2011 335is — sold

Veteran Member Four Rings will13k7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

265 on tirerack, ship to your fav installer.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by F80Dreamer View Post
    I know 😀, I didn’t buy it from them. Started doing some research though and found out getting a replacement tire from a place like Discount Tire is similar, but not the exact same tire. Slight spec differences for the OE tire thru the dealership.
    Two reasons why the OE tire is more expensive: (1) As stated above, you are buying from an Audi dealership. And, (2) the manufacturer does not sell a lot of the OE tires compared to the regular versions. The demand for them is lower. The slight spec differences between OE and the regular version are not that significant that both tires cannot be interchanged with one another. Otherwise, Hankook would have come up with a different model name for the OE tires.
    Current: 2016 S5 in Sepang Blue with Technik Package.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Had the same thing happen to me this week, dealership wanted close to $300 but was willing to match tireracks price, just no tire warranty that tirerack includes. Ended up buying the tire and having my local costco install it for $15. Make sure to reset your tire pressure monitor afterwards.

Veteran Member Four Rings jygesq's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1986 Honda CH 150 D scooter bought new

Tire rack sells AO continental tires, Audi Spec
    2015 S4, P+, Florett Silver,black /silver nappa leather, S-tronic ,sport diff,B&O ,tech package ,supercharged badges. All season tires ,cargo net, factory dip stick

Veteran Member Four Rings BoostEasy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 S5, S-tronic

Take care with replacing tires with new. You can't just put on a new tire if the revs per mile/diameter is different enough.

Audi publishes max allowable difference as 4/32. https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretec....jsp?techid=18

The solution if you're at or over 4/32 is to have tirerack shave the new tire which I believe was $30 for the last one I had done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Audizine mobile app
    2014 S5 S-tronic. Phantom Black, 19" AG M590s, Akebono Pads, OEM RS5 Grill, Alu-Kreuz, Black Alcantara, MMI, Quattro Sport Diff, B&O sound, side assist.
    2011 335xi (gone)
    2008 335xi (gone)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BoostEasy View Post
    Take care with replacing tires with new. You can't just put on a new tire if the revs per mile/diameter is different enough.

Audi publishes max allowable difference as 4/32. https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretec....jsp?techid=18

The solution if you're at or over 4/32 is to have tirerack shave the new tire which I believe was $30 for the last one I had done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Audizine mobile app
    Thanks, didn't realize that! Ended up buying the tire from tirerack for around $275 (still bloody expensive), and the difference between the other 3 tires was def below 4/32 so all good there. Looking forward to replacing all 4 next year with MP4S, and for less money than the Hankooks :)
    2018 S4 — current ride
    2017 M3 — sold
    2012 M3 — sold
    2015 GTI — sold
    2015 Mustang — sold
    2011 335is — sold