Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings mooseclap05's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 Allroad, TUNDRA

Question C5 manual gear box not shifting into 5th or 6th

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi all,

On my way home yesterday i noticed i couldn't shift into 5th or 6th anymore. The shifter feels very loose as in theres 2-3 inches of sway when in gear, i've searched a bit and am only coming up with "missing pins". However, i'm thinking it's still in place because i can shift from 1st through 4th. There was no grinding or smoke at all. I think it may have to be something within the linkage, any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It's the linkage- probably the cross rod on top of the trans. You can get to it but on a 2.7 there is very very little room to fiddle with it under there. You might pull the shifter trim and peek down at the linkage under the shifter first, somethign there could have come loose.
    But whatever it is pick your trips very carefully right now- it could be only a few shifts from being too loose to drive and it'll leave you stranded.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

Registered User Four Rings Scotty@Advanced's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If it was the cross rod, then 1-2 would be hard to catch as well.

Senior Member Three Rings Wide-66's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1966 Porsche 911 w/ 996 swap, 12 A7, 05 Allroad 6MT, 01 B5 S4 F21, 86 Coupe GT....many more

Just had the cross rod issue. Scott is right. Car wont hit R-1-2 but you can hit 3-4 and 5-6. Something to check however is the 13mm nut holding the linkage and the M6 holding the shifter to the shift rod.

Senior Member Three Rings mooseclap05's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 Allroad, TUNDRA

got under there and saw the cross rod bolt barely hanging on lol, tightened it up and back to normal shifting, thank you everyone

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rollerton View Post
    It's the linkage- probably the cross rod on top of the trans. .
    Well, well, well.... I wasn't gonna argue, but I've had intimate times with the cross rod on the 01e due to a very slightly bent linkage. I eventually cut it into pieces and made it adjustable, kind of like a turnbuckle. When I've had it loosen up first to go is Reverse, then 5th/6th when it's happened to me (2-3 times!).
    But I highly recommend adjustable cross rod, it's crazy that JHM or anyone doesn't make it in their upgrade- such a simple thing.

Veteran Member Four Rings jibberjive's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01.5' S4, 04' A4 USP, 04' CRF450r

Quote Originally Posted by rollerton View Post
    Well, well, well.... I wasn't gonna argue, but I've had intimate times with the cross rod on the 01e due to a very slightly bent linkage. I eventually cut it into pieces and made it adjustable, kind of like a turnbuckle. When I've had it loosen up first to go is Reverse, then 5th/6th when it's happened to me (2-3 times!).
    But I highly recommend adjustable cross rod, it's crazy that JHM or anyone doesn't make it in their upgrade- such a simple thing.
    Do you have any pics of your adjustable turnbuckle cross rod?
    ** GT2860R-7 S4 Build Log--

FOR SALE:
    --JHM DELRIN SHIFTER STABILIZER BUSHING (LATE STYLE)--

LOOKING FOR:
    --Early Style 2.7t Block "AE"
    --Your Broken/Sheared OEM Axles--

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jibberjive View Post
    Do you have any pics of your adjustable turnbuckle cross rod?
    Sorry...I didn't take any picture of it. It ended up being a neat little hack though. The cross rod is hollow, so basically you cut it into 3 sections and remove about 1.5" total. Thread all the sections where with a 8x1.25 die. I used loctite to install short 8x1.25 studs into the center section at each end. Then tap the two outer sections with the 8x1.25 tap. I put a lock-nut on each of the studs, then screw the two outer sections onto the studs and adjust to roughly the length it was. Install and check your shifter throw. Remove and adjust until you get it right.
    I did this on my manual S6...so, it was pretty easy. On a 2.7 car ...it's gonna be a bit more of a bitch just in general due to all the stuff in the way.
    When you have a shifter throw/ alignment problem there are a couple ways to make adjustments (moving subframe, shifter linkage UNDER the shifter, etc..) . My problem was ONLY reverse, this was the best way I could think of to make it right.