Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings Dasquade's Avatar
    AZ Member #

secundairy airpump - poor performance during warmup

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So with the air intake volume talk, this got me thinking. As many know, the 4.0tt is very sensitive during engine warm ups, otherwise you get stutter during boost.
    So i was wondering in what degree the activation of the secundairy airpump (feeding the exhaust manifold with oxygen for getting higher temps of the cats for emissions). I would be supprised the misfires are in a certain degree to be linked of lack of air during that process....(why would they even collect air from one air intake pipe instead of both?!)
    Guess i could find most answers myself by trying to log and messure stuff like:
    *status secondairy airpump
    *air mass volume
    *exhaust temps
    *timing
    *fuel/air ratio
    *misfires
    *etc etc etc

Feel free to share your toughts...

AZ Member #

I dought one can even deactivate it as it is most likely protected by the ecu (just like the oxygen sensors) so only a tune would be able to reprogram it.
    But it does make me wonder if it wouldnt be helpfull to disconnect the airhose from the main air intake pipe and give it its own airfilter inside the engine bay....if room allows.

AZ Member #

Wondering if it isnt all that easy to put a switch on the power wires of that pump. The hole secundairy pump is 'useless' on stage 2 tunes (at least if you running no cats) so it only starves the crutial fuel/air mixture....lets not forget the system is calculated on 'stock' s6 hardware/tune.
    *sorry for the multi posts...but never know it can help things (would kinda make sense why in the winter times the car is even more sensitive and longer issues with stutter and i have noticed with my smaller stock exhaust i had less stutter-> quicker hot/quicker turned off air pump).

Active Member Two Rings [waZZup]'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

It works just a couple of seconds after you start the engine until the RMP drops to normal idle state. It's purpose is to bring the catalytic converter to it's efficient temperature faster. To save polar bears. Then the system shuts off and doesn't affect performance, isn't it? Aren't you paying too much attention to this?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by [waZZup] View Post
    It works just a couple of seconds after you start the engine until the RMP drops to normal idle state. It's purpose is to bring the catalytic converter to it's efficient temperature faster. To save polar bears. Then the system shuts off and doesn't affect performance, isn't it? Aren't you paying too much attention to this?
    Yes, my bad...tought it took longer ;). Apperently only works for 1 minute after start up and also apperently it has its own dedicated long life airfilter/system and isn't tapped of the main intakes.
    My bad...can be deleted and learn something new every day...
    Schermafdruk 2018-07-14 11.58.27.jpg
    *for what it is worth, i logged the pump and indeed activates and under a minute it closes again.
    Current S6 C7 avant 2013: estoril | ceramics | JD engineering stage 2 | LightVan no backseats | Milltek non-res valved | 034 trans-diff mount |CETE ASCv2 & EVC | FL dynamic tails & dynamic mirror signals | Thermo ZO coated catless DP | Custom HX cooler (JD) | RS6 c6 matt gunmetal 20" wheels | custom tailgate spoiler & diffuser | Maxton front lip | Armor heatshielded mani-turbo-dp | B&O led lens tweeters (replica)
    In development: R8GT steeringwheel | FIS controler (mmi gauges)

Active Member Two Rings [waZZup]'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

Why delete? Let others find this information. That's how forums work :)

Apperently only works for 1 minute after start up
    Sometimes less, depending on the outside temprature, I guess. But something like a minute, yep.