Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings tirefire's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Can the VAGCOM really retract calipers for pad replacement?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I need to do my brake pads & also have a check engine light - ECS sells a Schwaben vagcom tool that claims it can "Retract calipers for brake pad replacement, Return calipers to the original position "

Is that true for the B6, anyone tried it? Sure sounds great.

TIA

Senior Member Three Rings egovreau's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 VW Passat Wagon

I believe that's true for the B8 on. Those cars have the electric parking brake.

I'm afraid you'll need to resort to the brake retracting tool. The one that rotates the piston while it compresses it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

The B6 front caliper is a piston with hydraulic brake fluid behind it, and a square-cut bore seal
    and the rear is the same thing but also screwed onto a threaded shaft, to be operated by the mechanical cable e-brake.

I do not see how.

VAG-COM is a registered trademark and is also known as VCDS, made by Ross-Tech. Schwaben does not make it, the same way there is no Schwaben Hot Cheetos.
    If you get a legitimate VAG-COM, why spend $400 on it for a brake job when you can use a ~$10 hand tool

One thing I'm not clear on is whether you can simply retract a piston without extra work,
    or if it's needed to take the extra steps of cracking the bleeder screw, so any fluid pushed back escapes the caliper rather than backflowing the system.
    However supposedly this is not necessary.

Active Member Two Rings tirefire's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thanks. Is the general consensus that the schwaben tool is inferior to the vw? Think I'll go with the manual tool on this one, obviously

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I just got a 20 dollar amazon knock-off caliper retractor kit to do the rears in the next couple days. I did the fronts with a c-clamp. I'll report back on its usefulness.

As for why they would have electronic piston retraction? It's all part of the plan to transition the car into a consumer gadget with no user serviceable parts. Expensive maintenance costs that will eventually turn into maintenance subscription to spread the insane costs over time. And of course, a more aggressive upgrade schedule since it will be made cost prohibitive for the customer to service their own car

Senior Member Three Rings egovreau's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 VW Passat Wagon

Didn't see the part about the Schwaben scanner. While it can likely retract the rear brakes, VCDS can as well. Personally, I hated the Schwaben scanner...

The UI was crap, wasn't very intuitive, and documentation is inadequate at best.

It's clearly a Chinese product with questionable English translation. Call me crazy, but if you're going to take the time to explain something in complete sentences, at least use something approaching correct grammer and spelling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA
    Items for Sale

Just to be clear, neither the Schwaben nor VCDS will retract the rear calipers on the A4 B6 model. The retraction feature is for Audis that are equipped with the electronic parking brake. The B6 requires mechanically turning while depressing the rear caliper piston to get it to retract.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.