Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: Radar detectors

  1. #1
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    May 09 2014
    AZ Member #
    215434
    Location
    Delco

    Radar detectors

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Never had one.... with all the driving to and from the shore...can some members give experiences, recommendations and opinions on them. Do they work? Are they worth it. Pros cons. Recommend a certain brand. I would imagine they plug in to a cigarette lighter etc for power when needed. Thank in advance.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sd761; 07-13-2018 at 05:56 PM.

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Four Rings S4Per's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 17 2004
    AZ Member #
    616
    My Garage
    2013 Audi S6
    Location
    Seattle

    Lots and lots of options (see my build site in sig for which way I went with radar and lidar protection as one example).

    For starters: what's your budget?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 Addict::S6 (Build) // UNITED MOTORSPORT by AMD | Milltek DP's and Valvesonic exhaust | 200 CPSI custom cats | AWE intake | Arc's, Helix and Morel's for sound
    2018 Q7 3.0T Prestige | Glacier White Metallic | Titanium Black Optic | Adaptive chassis | Drivers Assistance | Tow | Cold Weather
    -----------------------------------------
    Never forgotten:
    2008 Addict::RS4 (Build)
    2002 S4 Stage 3 Tip

  3. #3
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 06 2016
    AZ Member #
    374345
    Location
    Florida

    Valentine One without question. I LOVE mine and there will be a ton of other members saying the same thing.

    Unless youíre willing to drop a couple grand on a hidden system with laser shifters.
    2018 Daytona Gray S6 | S Sport | Black Optic | Carbon Atlas |

    2011 Phantom Black S4 | S-Tronic | P+ | Nav | Sports Differential | Titanium Package | Silk Nappa | SOLD

  4. #4
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jul 09 2016
    AZ Member #
    375991
    Location
    USA

    I have an Escort Max II and it saves me from Ka band tickets every day.... THEY WORK. THEY ARE WORTH INVESTMENT. Donít buy one that is not a name brand or a good deal. Get one that is $400 + and is a reputable band. Read about them online. Good info here: http://www.radardetector.org



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mark: 0000_S5
    2015 S5 Premium Plus, Ibis White
    Llumar 20% Tint (sides, back)
    Llumar Clear Ceramic Tint (windshield, sunroof)
    Llumar Paint Protection (front, hood, front quarters)
    Black Wrap Roof & Mirrors
    CR-15 Strut Tower Bar
    Gloss Black Audi Rings, S5 Badges
    Carbon Imports Rear Diffuser v2

  5. #5
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 28 2017
    AZ Member #
    398570
    Location
    CO Mountains

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Valentine One without question. I LOVE mine and there will be a ton of other members saying the same thing.

    Unless youíre willing to drop a couple grand on a hidden system with laser shifters.
    My V1 has saved my ass many times over. With a Blendmount it is almost invisible.
    2016 Sepang S6. No mods yet...

  6. #6
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    May 09 2014
    AZ Member #
    215434
    Location
    Delco

    Quote Originally Posted by S4Per View Post
    Lots and lots of options (see my build site in sig for which way I went with radar and lidar protection as one example).

    For starters: what's your budget?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will do! Actually I donít know how much they cost! Lol


    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Valentine One without question. I LOVE mine and there will be a ton of other members saying the same thing.

    Unless youíre willing to drop a couple grand on a hidden system with laser shifters.
    Will look this up. I clearly want plug and play simplistic ...... so I see you say hidden system .... these are legal correct? So if itís on my front windshield are you suppose to hide them?

    Quote Originally Posted by 0000_S5 View Post
    I have an Escort Max II and it saves me from Ka band tickets every day.... THEY WORK. THEY ARE WORTH INVESTMENT. Donít buy one that is not a name brand or a good deal. Get one that is $400 + and is a reputable band. Read about them online. Good info here: http://www.radardetector.org



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you! Will read it now!



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 10 2015
    AZ Member #
    354569
    Location
    VA

    If you are in a state that allows them them just keep it simple and use a windshield mount model.

    If you are in a state that does not allow them then use a stealth model and I would advise on a hidden detector setup too.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Four Rings Kevin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 19 2008
    AZ Member #
    34358
    Location
    Long Island

    I love my Valentine One. When I use it in conjunction with Waze I feel bullet proof.
    1 of 1 in the United States - 2015 A6 TDI Prestige with 19" Sports Package and Season Dedicated Tires - Oolong Gray Metalic, Nougat Brown Interior, Dark Brown Walnut Inlays, Black Headliner, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Night Vision Assistant with Pedestrian Detection. Summer - Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Winter - Yokohama Bluearth Winter V905. Eurocode Sway Bars and Links. XPEL Ultimate.

    RIP - 2005 A6 4.2 - (February 2005 - August 2014) (142,000 miles)

  9. #9
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 17 2015
    AZ Member #
    363184
    My Garage
    2015 Ford Escape
    Location
    Hilton Head Island, SC

    I have an Escort Blue Max in one car and a V1 in the other. Both have excellent range. You can't go wrong with either of these units. I do like the directional arrows on the V1. Cost is in the $3-500 range for a quality plug in detector.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    May 09 2014
    AZ Member #
    215434
    Location
    Delco

    Quote Originally Posted by Barritia View Post
    If you are in a state that allows them them just keep it simple and use a windshield mount model.

    If you are in a state that does not allow them then use a stealth model and I would advise on a hidden detector setup too.
    Iím in PA. Looks
    I go to the shore in NJ and sometimes head to a store in de. All good 3 states.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    May 09 2014
    AZ Member #
    215434
    Location
    Delco

    Quote Originally Posted by hhiq5 View Post
    I have an Escort Blue Max in one car and a V1 in the other. Both have excellent range. You can't go wrong with either of these units. I do like the directional arrows on the V1. Cost is in the $3-500 range for a quality plug in detector.
    I saw the escort ?? Checks radar, speed traps. Cameras everything does the valentine do that too bc I too like the arrows!!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 17 2015
    AZ Member #
    363184
    My Garage
    2015 Ford Escape
    Location
    Hilton Head Island, SC

    My V1 does not memorize radar locations. However, I still think it's a great unit.

  13. #13
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Feb 25 2018
    AZ Member #
    414637
    Location
    New York

    Uniden R3 is the best out there for windshield. Go to the radar detector forum. Those guys spend hours and hours analyzing the shit out of whatís the best. The top detectors like escort V1 and Uniden will save your butt and $$$. So yeah they work well.

  14. #14
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Mar 04 2018
    AZ Member #
    414964
    My Garage
    Saab 9-3ís
    Location
    Philadelphia PA

    The dirty jersey troopers use instant on laser if im not mistaken, so youíre gonna need laser jammers to go along with it if you want full protection


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  15. #15
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 03 2018
    AZ Member #
    413483
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Valentine One without question. I LOVE mine and there will be a ton of other members saying the same thing.

    Unless youíre willing to drop a couple grand on a hidden system with laser shifters.
    This!!! Love mine

  16. #16
    Veteran Member Four Rings ericw.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 23 2011
    AZ Member #
    74496
    Location
    Sacramento Area

    Quote Originally Posted by sd761 View Post
    I saw the escort ?? Checks radar, speed traps. Cameras everything does the valentine do that too bc I too like the arrows!!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    V1 doesn't have GPS so it won't warn you of speed traps or red light cameras like the escort will. There's the escort max 360 with arrows though.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    IG @lolzhax // agilitydrives.us
    C7 S7 4.0tt | LX7U | APR STG1 ECU+TCU | S-FloV2 | EUROCODE SWAYS | CETE ASC | RFX7 | EVO2 | RS7 FR+R | Indicator Delete | Hardwired | Straight Piped
    b7 a4 2.0t | Stage 2+ | DTM Body | All the bolt-on mods | [sold]

  17. #17
    Active Member Two Rings LVBrokrS7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 29 2018
    AZ Member #
    416304
    Location
    Las Vegas

    How in dafuq does my 14Ē S7 have only one outlet in the front cab??? I mean one in the glove compartment. Iím gonna have to hardwire a detector.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  18. #18
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    May 09 2014
    AZ Member #
    215434
    Location
    Delco

    Quote Originally Posted by ericw. View Post
    V1 doesn't have GPS so it won't warn you of speed traps or red light cameras like the escort will. There's the escort max 360 with arrows though.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    So it sounds like V1 vs escort.

    Iím not privi to the differences. So I need like radar detector for dummies haha

    So Iím looking for picking up where cops sit is that the same as sped trap? Iím not sure if I need red light cams bc Iím never really running light s haha.

    Just something that can get me to and from the shore a bit quicker and safer????


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 06 2016
    AZ Member #
    374345
    Location
    Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by sd761 View Post
    Will look this up. I clearly want plug and play simplistic ...... so I see you say hidden system .... these are legal correct? So if itís on my front windshield are you suppose to hide them?

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thereís essentially two styles of detectors: windshield mount and hidden. Windshield mount detectors are typically $50-750 and as the name implies, they attach to your windshield with a suction cup mount. Alternatively, they can also be attached to the sun visor with a visor clip or to the stem of your rearview mirror with a Blendmount (this is THE way to go). Power is provided through a power cord (coiled or straight) that plugs into the cigarette lighter. A popular option for a cleaner install is to use a MirrorTap - a short wire with a needle type end that is basically poked into an existing power wire, such as for your rearview mirror. Or you can use something like an add a fuse and a longer straight cord tucked away behind the A-pillar and front of the headliner (10 min install).

    A hidden system has a small display mounted somewhere on your dash/steering column/center cubby and radar sensing pieces hidden behind your grill.

    Quote Originally Posted by sd761 View Post
    So it sounds like V1 vs escort.

    Iím not privi to the differences. So I need like radar detector for dummies haha

    So Iím looking for picking up where cops sit is that the same as sped trap? Iím not sure if I need red light cams bc Iím never really running light s haha.

    Just something that can get me to and from the shore a bit quicker and safer????


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Best part of the V1 is that itís highly customizable, and incredibly easy to do so. Want to turn off all alerts if youíre below 35 mph? No problem. Getting a lot of false positives? No worries - ďtuneĒ the V1 so it only picks up a specific range of frequencies. Want to go stealth and have everything displayed on your phone? You can do that, too.

    Youíll have to buy some accessories to make these happen, but that customization is one of the things that makes the V1 the best.
    Last edited by Dirt; 07-14-2018 at 09:03 AM.
    2018 Daytona Gray S6 | S Sport | Black Optic | Carbon Atlas |

    2011 Phantom Black S4 | S-Tronic | P+ | Nav | Sports Differential | Titanium Package | Silk Nappa | SOLD

  20. #20
    Established Member Two Rings Prak98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 15 2017
    AZ Member #
    397809
    Location
    WI

    Quote Originally Posted by StealthMissle View Post
    Uniden R3 is the best out there for windshield. Go to the radar detector forum. Those guys spend hours and hours analyzing the shit out of whatís the best. The top detectors like escort V1 and Uniden will save your butt and $$$. So yeah they work well.
    Ditto. Picked up my Uniden a couple months ago and it has paid for itself atleast 5 times over. I have it mounted under my mirror, so it's virtually indistinguishable. Probably the best one out there in terms of detection, well worth the cost.

  21. #21
    Established Member Four Rings OlyS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 22 2016
    AZ Member #
    386370
    Location
    Olympia, WA

    Quote Originally Posted by sd761 View Post
    Will do! Actually I donít know how much they cost! Lol




    Will look this up. I clearly want plug and play simplistic ...... so I see you say hidden system .... these are legal correct? So if itís on my front windshield are you suppose to hide them?



    Thank you! Will read it now!



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are some great review websites comparing both dash/windshield mounted as well as installed systems, radartest.com being one of them. Several installed systems also come with laser shifting as an option (ALP, Escort Max CI, etc...) in addition to radar detection. Be advised that laser shifting is legal in most states, but illegal in CA, VA, DC, and a few other places. There are some portable units that can do laser detection, but that feature is pretty worthless, since it amounts to 'ticket detection', because by the time you get the alert the cop has already gotten a reading on you. I did a stealth install of the Max CI360, which has both front and rear radar detection and laser shifting. Expensive, but saves me all the time, both from radar, and especially laser which has gotten a lot more popular in Washington over the past few years.
    2016 S6, mythos black, RS7 turbos, MRC inlets |AWE touring exhaust| APR downpipes| Eventuri intake| AMS cooler| Eurocode sways, end-links, and AK | Audi CCB| HRE P103, 20x10 | RS6 grille| Neidfaktor CF mirrors, diffuser, and steering wheel| Blackvue dashcams| Escort Max CI 360 | RS6 LED headlights |Sound: Navtv Zen-v, Audiocontrol DM-810 DSP, JL HD900/5 driving JL10W3 sub and Focal KX3 up front. Rear; JL HD600/4 driving Focal KX2.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 10 2015
    AZ Member #
    354569
    Location
    VA

    California, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Virginia are all illegal to run them but some systems act like a parking sensor to try and get around the band.

  23. #23
    Veteran Member Three Rings 4RCFED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 27 2014
    AZ Member #
    278096
    My Garage
    12' Audi S4, 18' Discovery HSE (V), Durango R/T (sold), ML350 (sold)
    Location
    Seattle,WA

    Quote Originally Posted by Prak98 View Post
    Ditto. Picked up my Uniden a couple months ago and it has paid for itself atleast 5 times over. I have it mounted under my mirror, so it's virtually indistinguishable. Probably the best one out there in terms of detection, well worth the cost.
    Same, just ordered one after reading all the comparison tests.
    2012 S4 DSG, Ibis, Nappa, sports diff, EPL stg 1 ECU/TCU, Eurocode intake, 034 TM, X-pipe, C-Quartz, Akebonos, BFI shift knob.

  24. #24
    Active Member Two Rings LVBrokrS7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 29 2018
    AZ Member #
    416304
    Location
    Las Vegas

    Radar detectors

    Best place to order either the V1 or R3?


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  25. #25
    Veteran Member Three Rings 4RCFED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 27 2014
    AZ Member #
    278096
    My Garage
    12' Audi S4, 18' Discovery HSE (V), Durango R/T (sold), ML350 (sold)
    Location
    Seattle,WA

    Everywhere I looked for the Uniden R3 was $399, I ordered off amazon. Considering some of the others are $500-600, itís not bad.
    2012 S4 DSG, Ibis, Nappa, sports diff, EPL stg 1 ECU/TCU, Eurocode intake, 034 TM, X-pipe, C-Quartz, Akebonos, BFI shift knob.

  26. #26
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 29 2013
    AZ Member #
    122005
    Location
    Mt Pleasant, SC

    ALP is the only laser defense system that actually works. Nothing else should even be considered for laser protection.

    The NetRadar add on to the ALP system is very good.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 Audi S6 Ibis White, Black interior, LED headlights, 20" alloy wheels, Carbon Atlas inlays, Audi side assist

    Mods Bel STiR Plus, Blinder HP-905, BlackVue dash cams (front and rear), Black Optics grill, Black window trim, XPel Ultimate film, Modesta BC-03 glass coating

  27. #27
    Established Member Four Rings OlyS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 22 2016
    AZ Member #
    386370
    Location
    Olympia, WA

    While ALP is excellent, it doesnt really truly integrate with radar setups. The latest iteration of the Escort Max CI is fully integrated, and also defeats the Dragon-eye laser, which previously only ALP could do. My Max CI 360 defeats laser on a regular basis out where I live


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 S6, mythos black, RS7 turbos, MRC inlets |AWE touring exhaust| APR downpipes| Eventuri intake| AMS cooler| Eurocode sways, end-links, and AK | Audi CCB| HRE P103, 20x10 | RS6 grille| Neidfaktor CF mirrors, diffuser, and steering wheel| Blackvue dashcams| Escort Max CI 360 | RS6 LED headlights |Sound: Navtv Zen-v, Audiocontrol DM-810 DSP, JL HD900/5 driving JL10W3 sub and Focal KX3 up front. Rear; JL HD600/4 driving Focal KX2.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.