Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    Active Member Two Rings LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2018
    AZ Member #
    420222
    Location
    CA

    Good non agressive springs for Avant?

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My 12 Avant project is getting wheels, tires, springs, but since the wife will be using it on and off as her 2nd driver for the kids I can't get too aggressive with the springs. Looking for around a 1" drop all around if possible. Considering the Eibach Pro-Kit which seems to get 1.2" around.

    Are there any other comfort spring options available or is that my only choice?

  2. #2
    Established Member Two Rings Keystoneclassic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 12 2017
    AZ Member #
    409709
    Location
    San Clemente, CA

    I have a set of Eibach Sportlineís Iíll let go for $100 if youíd like to have them. Looks like youíre in CA. Iím in So Cal, so depending on your location I can ship at your cost or have available for pick up or delivery. Thanks, Ken


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Active Member Two Rings LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2018
    AZ Member #
    420222
    Location
    CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Keystoneclassic View Post
    I have a set of Eibach Sportlineís Iíll let go for $100 if youíd like to have them. Looks like youíre in CA. Iím in So Cal, so depending on your location I can ship at your cost or have available for pick up or delivery. Thanks, Ken
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the offer, but those would be too low.

  4. #4
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    383194
    Location
    Denver

    You might consider a set of OEM sport springs.

  5. #5
    Active Member Two Rings LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2018
    AZ Member #
    420222
    Location
    CA

    Quote Originally Posted by mortimersnerd View Post
    You might consider a set of OEM sport springs.
    Are those made by audi? Do you have a part number info on them?

  6. #6
    Active Member Two Rings rcprato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    413222
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant Quattro - 11 Touareg VR6 Lux
    Location
    Rochester, NY

    I just went through this, my new to me Avant had Eibach Pro-Kit when I purchased and too low for my taste, In addition the front road about 3/4' lower than the back which I didn't care for. They did ride well though.

    Ended up with a set of S-Line Sport Springs that I got from a forum member who put Vogtland coilovers on his Avant, I have the spring part #'s and color codes.

    Look at this post I did https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ne-spring-info

    I paired them up with Bilstein sport shocks, I think the ride/handling is great.

    PM me your email or cell # and I can send you some pics if interested.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Two Rings ChicagoDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 21 2015
    AZ Member #
    363386
    Location
    Chicagoland, USA

    I have a 2012 Avant as well, and had looked into this (yet to pull the trigger) but I can offer some feedback from what I have learned.

    They critical thing is to get the appropriate springs for the rear because of the added weight of the "wagon" part of the Avant.

    The springs I found on AZ that are supposed to work are:

    8K0411105ED Coil Spring / Sports Suspension Front 0JH
    1 Paint Mark - Violet
    3 Paint Mark - Orange


    8K0511115HC Coil Spring / Sport Suspension Rear PR-1BE,1BL+ 0YL
    1 Paint Mark - Green
    1 Paint Mark - Grey
    2 Paint Mark - Blue

    You may also want to look into an after market set: H&R Sport springs for B8 Avant
    These are supposed to have the same ride as the Audi OEM sport springs. And are available at most after market tuning shops.

    Hope this helps at least get you pointed in the right direction!

    Dave
    2012 A4 Avant - Brilliant Black :: Zisa LED Lighting :: Awesome Floor Mats :: Warning Triangle :: Total Newbie
    Retired - 2002 VW Passat GLX w/ 4Motion :: 14 Years and 202,000 miles
    Retired - 1995 Chevy Impala SS :: 5.7L LT1 V8 :: Dark Cherry Metallic :: Fell apart at 98,000 miles

  8. #8
    Active Member Two Rings rcprato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    413222
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant Quattro - 11 Touareg VR6 Lux
    Location
    Rochester, NY

    I had H&R OEM SPort Springs on a B6 Passat, rode harsh. seem to load up quickly and have a really fast rebound so you have to use a true sport shock like Koni yellows to keep it from feeling bouncy driving down the road.

    I found the correct front sport springs on here and ebay, much harder to find the rears but are about $138 each from online Audi OEM parts dealers

    I think these are the correct fronts ?
    Front: (1) Violet (3) Pink - 8K0-411-105-EB

    These will be on sedans too with OEM sport suspension

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Four Rings A4 Centaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 05 2009
    AZ Member #
    43360
    My Garage
    Ducati Panigale 1199S (Red of course)
    Location
    Denver Colorado

    The issue with those stock Sport Springs is they are mated to garbage struts. I don't know what the results of mating those springs to a better strut would result in?

    I think you are best off getting a Koni Cup kit or other, which will have a coordinated and balanced set of components.
    Black B8 A4 Avant S-Line Prestige Package, CPMB Engine, Tiptronic 8 speed, JHM K04-R, V1 & Beltronics, Eurocode HFC, APR FMIC, Alu Kreuz, Vogtland Coilovers, Stoptech 380mm BB Kit, H&R Swaybar, APR K04 Tune, Rev. "d" DV, R8 Coils, Folding Mirrors, S5 Rear Brakes, 034 Street Density Mounts, OEM Facelift LED Brake lights, Forgestar CF5, and more mods to come!

  10. #10
    Active Member Two Rings LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2018
    AZ Member #
    420222
    Location
    CA

    So these "S Line Springs" come stock on the s line cars? Where do you get them from? Are they more than coilovers? Are they only available used. I'm not considering the H&R because most info say they are more bouncy and racie compared to the eibach ones.

  11. #11
    Active Member Two Rings rcprato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    413222
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant Quattro - 11 Touareg VR6 Lux
    Location
    Rochester, NY

    The set up in the thread I referred you to were out of a B8 Avant with S-Line package with Sport Suspension option,from guy on here who lives in CO. He went to Vogtland coilovers to go lower but the S-Line Sport springs are about 20mm to 25mm lower than a standard B8 A4 spring set up.

    You can get color codes and P/N's from my thread then look on classifieds on here and ebay, like previously said I found front springs in good condition easily but not Avant rears and got lucky to find the used set in really good condition I purchased.

    Took me about 3 weeks of searching and researching.
    https://www.audiusaparts.com/auto-pa...omponents-scat
    Fronts with correct color code - https://www.wolfautoparts.com/front-...1f-128211.html

  12. #12
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    383194
    Location
    Denver

    They tend to be inexpensive since most are take-offs from owners that go to coilovers. They pop up in the classifieds from time to time, usually still installed on the stock struts.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 29 2007
    AZ Member #
    19155
    Location
    Texas

    I have the s line avant springs(and shocks) on my allroad.

    They work because the allroad was already lifted to begin with, it may not be worth it to put on an avant - based of the net amount of drop you get.

  14. #14
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    383194
    Location
    Denver

    BTW, the sport springs are on any avant with the sport package, not just s-lines. My prestige plus has them. They as much drop as I'd want give the long wheelbase of the avant. I already scrape on a semi-regular basis.

  15. #15
    Active Member Two Rings rcprato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    413222
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant Quattro - 11 Touareg VR6 Lux
    Location
    Rochester, NY

    Quote Originally Posted by mortimersnerd View Post
    They as much drop as I'd want give the long wheelbase of the avant. I already scrape on a semi-regular basis.
    I agree, it is just enough drop.

  16. #16
    Active Member Two Rings LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2018
    AZ Member #
    420222
    Location
    CA

    Quote Originally Posted by rcprato View Post
    I just went through this, my new to me Avant had Eibach Pro-Kit when I purchased and too low for my taste, In addition the front road about 3/4' lower than the back which I didn't care for. They did ride well though.

    Ended up with a set of S-Line Sport Springs that I got from a forum member who put Vogtland coilovers on his Avant, I have the spring part #'s and color codes.

    Look at this post I did https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ne-spring-info

    I paired them up with Bilstein sport shocks, I think the ride/handling is great.

    PM me your email or cell # and I can send you some pics if interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcprato View Post
    The set up in the thread I referred you to were out of a B8 Avant with S-Line package with Sport Suspension option,from guy on here who lives in CO. He went to Vogtland coilovers to go lower but the S-Line Sport springs are about 20mm to 25mm lower than a standard B8 A4 spring set up.

    You can get color codes and P/N's from my thread then look on classifieds on here and ebay, like previously said I found front springs in good condition easily but not Avant rears and got lucky to find the used set in really good condition I purchased.

    Took me about 3 weeks of searching and researching.
    https://www.audiusaparts.com/auto-pa...omponents-scat
    Fronts with correct color code - https://www.wolfautoparts.com/front-...1f-128211.html
    Thanks I was hoping to find some "new" stock, as most the stuff I found so far could easily have 100k miles on them and you just never know.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 29 2007
    AZ Member #
    19155
    Location
    Texas

    If you want s-line suspension, buy the springs and just find aftermarket shocks.

    Springs don't really go bad, it's the shocks that will.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  18. #18
    Veteran Member Three Rings bshanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 22 2012
    AZ Member #
    92325
    My Garage
    94 MR2, 92 MR2
    Location
    denver
    Items for Sale

    How about KW H.A.S.? i had them on my 11 s-line avant and was a big fan since they are adjustable. more pricey than springs obviously but i think a good compromise. I removed them because they were not compatible with my Koni FSD (although advertised as being compatible) but i would still recommend them. I also have my old setup for sale if you're interested, only put a few thousand miles on them before switching up :) i blew an OEM shock and because i had already replaced the rears and only the fronts weren't compatible, i just decided to keep the H.A.S. off.

    OEM windshield sunshade, rear seat pet cover, microfibre clothe, official audi camelbak water bottle, beanie


  19. #19
    Active Member Two Rings rcprato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    413222
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant Quattro - 11 Touareg VR6 Lux
    Location
    Rochester, NY

    100K on OEM springs is not a problem most of the time, if they came off a car that did not go through a harsh winter environment like the Northeast and used in an area that has nice roads they will last a very long time.

    My springs came off an Avant in Denver, forget mileage but over 50K and they looked like new when I received them.

    OP, PM me with your cell # or email and I can send you some pics of my car with sport suspension, you may think it is too high still and want it lower. It will take a lot more effort to find "new stock" OEM Sport Springs than considering a pair of Vogtland or other brand coilovers to get your ideal ride height.

    My son had Vogtland coilovers on his 15 GTI and set them so there was only one finger wheel gap, they rode really well for being that low and he could have gone up an inch+ from there with the adjustment of spring height.

  20. #20
    Active Member Two Rings LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2018
    AZ Member #
    420222
    Location
    CA

    Quote Originally Posted by f_399 View Post
    If you want s-line suspension, buy the springs and just find aftermarket shocks. Springs don't really go bad, it's the shocks that will.

    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Are the S-Line springs better than the eibach or about the same? Seems like even the used ones are more the new Eibachs, but both are only about 1" drop which is what I'm looking for.

    Quote Originally Posted by bshanna View Post
    How about KW H.A.S.? i had them on my 11 s-line avant and was a big fan since they are adjustable. more pricey than springs obviously but i think a good compromise. I removed them because they were not compatible with my Koni FSD (although advertised as being compatible) but i would still recommend them. I also have my old setup for sale if you're interested, only put a few thousand miles on them before switching up :) i blew an OEM shock and because i had already replaced the rears and only the fronts weren't compatible, i just decided to keep the H.A.S. off.
    This is a budget build and i'm trying to get the entire car done for around $7k so I only have about $500 for suspension since I spent $600 on wheels. I have a guy who can do the install for around $300 so I will probably just get springs for now.

  21. #21
    Active Member Two Rings LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2018
    AZ Member #
    420222
    Location
    CA

    Quote Originally Posted by rcprato View Post
    I just went through this, my new to me Avant had Eibach Pro-Kit when I purchased and too low for my taste, In addition the front road about 3/4' lower than the back which I didn't care for. They did ride well though.
    Ended up with a set of S-Line Sport Springs that I got from a forum member who put Vogtland coilovers on his Avant, I have the spring part #'s and color codes.
    Look at this post I did https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ne-spring-info
    I paired them up with Bilstein sport shocks, I think the ride/handling is great.
    PM me your email or cell # and I can send you some pics if interested.
    Thanks for the office I know the drop on the sline and that's about what I want to be. I was under the impression springs get "bouncy" with age, but if that's not the case then I'll try and find a set if they are about the same as aftermarket.
    Last edited by LGHT; 07-17-2018 at 08:56 AM.

  22. #22
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    383194
    Location
    Denver

    If anything, springs get less bouncy with age. What causes old suspensions to get bouncy is worn shocks. They fail to dampen the spring's rebound which can make th ride feel harsh. You likely want to seriously consider new shocks when you do this, as lowering on the stock non-sport shocks will likely result in a poor ride. They they're not worn now, they will be soon.

  23. #23
    Active Member Two Rings rcprato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    413222
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant Quattro - 11 Touareg VR6 Lux
    Location
    Rochester, NY

    I think the Eibach Pro-Kit springs were great except the ride height is different front to back, did you come across this thread in your research https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ghlight=eibach

    On my Avant the rear was just were I wanted it to be with the Eibach, the front was 3/4" lower and it made it look like something was wrong with front suspension.

    You will most likely want to raise the front like OP did in the thread I linked you to.

    Put Bilstein B4 Sport Shocks with the Eibach springs and you will be close to OEM Sport Suspension ride height if you raise the front12 to 15mm.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 29 2007
    AZ Member #
    19155
    Location
    Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    Are the S-Line springs better than the eibach or about the same? Seems like even the used ones are more the new Eibachs, but both are only about 1" drop which is what I'm looking for.


    As someone already mentioned, one good thing about the oem s-line springs is that they are more level/even, not a noticeable rake (front or back)


  25. #25
    Active Member Two Rings rcprato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    413222
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant Quattro - 11 Touareg VR6 Lux
    Location
    Rochester, NY

    f_399 you are correct, in my post a few above is link to thread where guy put 1cm rubber pad in front shock spring mount to raise front. Might have done that to my Eibach springs if I had not found the OEM Sport Suspension springs in classifieds here.

    Your Allroad looks like it sits slightly lower than my Avant, I'm running 18" rims with 245/40/18 rubber

    OEM set up is usually slightly higher in the front

  26. #26
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jun 29 2007
    AZ Member #
    19155
    Location
    Texas

    It only looks lower because of the overall wheel/tire size due to the larger looking wheel well of the allroad.


    Stock size is 245-45-18(26.7" diameter) and the closest size in 20" is to go with a 35 series tire(26.5" diameter).

    255-30-20 is 25.6" diameter

    I tried to keep it as close to stock so I can use the stock wheels if I get a flat - which has happened a couple of times.

  27. #27
    Veteran Member Three Rings bshanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 22 2012
    AZ Member #
    92325
    My Garage
    94 MR2, 92 MR2
    Location
    denver
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    This is a budget build and i'm trying to get the entire car done for around $7k so I only have about $500 for suspension since I spent $600 on wheels. I have a guy who can do the install for around $300 so I will probably just get springs for now.
    i was selling mine used for $400 - still over budget but let me know if you're interested.

    OEM windshield sunshade, rear seat pet cover, microfibre clothe, official audi camelbak water bottle, beanie


  28. #28
    Active Member Two Rings LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2018
    AZ Member #
    420222
    Location
    CA

    Quote Originally Posted by mortimersnerd View Post
    If anything, springs get less bouncy with age. What causes old suspensions to get bouncy is worn shocks. They fail to dampen the spring's rebound which can make th ride feel harsh. You likely want to seriously consider new shocks when you do this, as lowering on the stock non-sport shocks will likely result in a poor ride. They they're not worn now, they will be soon.
    That's exactly what I've been reading everywhere, but my bro who's been building / racing cars all his life said it exactly what I shouldn't do. He said he had a jetta wagon and he did that and the ride was horrible so he put the stock shocks back on and it fixed the problem??? I asked him several times and he insist on not needed shocks since the car only has 55k miles on it. He said I will eventually need shocks, but not for a few years.

  29. #29
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 15 2016
    AZ Member #
    383194
    Location
    Denver

    Shocks were likely poorly matched to whatever springs he installed. Rebound damping needs to align with spring rate to slow the return of the spring. If the shock is too light, the spring can push the car up quickly making the ride feel harsh.

  30. #30
    Active Member Two Rings LGHT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 07 2018
    AZ Member #
    420222
    Location
    CA

    Quote Originally Posted by rcprato View Post
    I think the Eibach Pro-Kit springs were great except the ride height is different front to back, did you come across this thread in your research https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ghlight=eibach

    On my Avant the rear was just were I wanted it to be with the Eibach, the front was 3/4" lower and it made it look like something was wrong with front suspension.

    You will most likely want to raise the front like OP did in the thread I linked you to.

    Put Bilstein B4 Sport Shocks with the Eibach springs and you will be close to OEM Sport Suspension ride height if you raise the front12 to 15mm.
    Thanks again for the link. I wasn't aware that the front would ride that much lower than the back. Seems like a quick fix if it does. I think I'm going to get some rubber ahead of time just in case it does during the install..

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by bshanna View Post
    i was selling mine used for $400 - still over budget but let me know if you're interested.
    Selling your what?

  31. #31
    Veteran Member Three Rings bshanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 22 2012
    AZ Member #
    92325
    My Garage
    94 MR2, 92 MR2
    Location
    denver
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    Thanks again for the link. I wasn't aware that the front would ride that much lower than the back. Seems like a quick fix if it does. I think I'm going to get some rubber ahead of time just in case it does during the install..

    - - - Updated - - -



    Selling your what?
    my used KW H.A.S. setup

    OEM windshield sunshade, rear seat pet cover, microfibre clothe, official audi camelbak water bottle, beanie




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.