Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Is the v10+ worth the extra money?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So my dad is considering selling his 2014 v8 Spyder for a 2018 v10 Spyder. After configuring both the v10 and the v10+ the price difference between them comes to around $25k. Do guys think the v10+ is worth it? The way I see it is if it's really worth it then what's an extra $25k when he's already about to spend that much money on the car.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    18 R8 RWS, 13 S8, 15 Macan Turbo, 04 Ducati SS1000DS

The plus isnt about the power, as much as the options included. If you want ceramic breaks, more carbon parts, and laser headlights, the price justifies the options.

The power itself is a very simple software tweak to remove the throttle body restriction to unlock the power difference.

Big picture, the 18 is a sweet upgrade overal. Id likely go non plus on a spyder and tune it to plus levels.
    2013 Daytona S8, B&O, Bk alcantara, Solar, 360 camera, adaptive cruise,
    2015 Rhodium Macan Turbo, BK alcantara, Loaded.
    2018 Ibis R8 Rear Wheel Series, Canadian Spec.

Veteran Member Four Rings NYEuroTuner's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 S4.

Better trans gearing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -- George
    SEMPER FI
    Build Thread--------------->My VR6 Journey<-Click it, Click it good.
    IABEDINDUSTRIES

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro; 2010 Acura RDX (my wife's vehicle)

I'd pass on the +
    2014 Monsoon Gray S4 Prem+ | S-Tronic | LH Magma Nappa leather interior | Carbon Atlas inlays | Sports Diff | Adaptive Damping suspension | 19” peelers | MMI Nav | Bang & Olufsen | tints | VAG COM mods via OBDeleven | Autostyle Mats

Veteran Member Three Rings 4RCFED's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12' Audi S4, 18' Discovery HSE (V), Durango R/T (sold), ML350 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by NYEuroTuner View Post

This ☝️ Gearing is different, why not just have him wait a little until the plus Spyder’s start hitting the used market and he’ll save the difference.
    2012 S4 DSG, Ibis, Nappa, sports diff, EPL stg 1 ECU/TCU, Eurocode intake, 034 TM, X-pipe, C-Quartz, Akebonos, BFI shift knob.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by L0U View Post
    The plus isnt about the power, as much as the options included. If you want ceramic breaks, more carbon parts, and laser headlights, the price justifies the options.

The power itself is a very simple software tweak to remove the throttle body restriction to unlock the power difference.

Big picture, the 18 is a sweet upgrade overal. Id likely go non plus on a spyder and tune it to plus levels.
    Honestly it's more about the power.. My dad could care less about laser headlights and ceramic brakes. Right before I saw your comment I was actually looking at the VF engineering tune and for about $2500 it brings the power to v10+ levels just like you said. Going that route seems to be more preferable than spending $25k.

Quote Originally Posted by NYEuroTuner View Post

Does this really make a noticeable difference to spend an extra 25k though? If the current gen v10 gearing is as good as the gearing in his '14 I honestly don't think it would matter as its already so good.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RCFED View Post
    This ☝️ Gearing is different, why not just have him wait a little until the plus Spyder’s start hitting the used market and he’ll save the difference.
    He doesn't want to buy used otherwise this would be a great option.

Also quick question, I've seen in tons of youtube videos that the new gen R8's tend to burble a lot when going low speeds. Is this only the case on the v10+ or does the standard v10 also do this?
    2012 Audi A6 - APR stage 1

Veteran Member Three Rings 4RCFED's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12' Audi S4, 18' Discovery HSE (V), Durango R/T (sold), ML350 (sold)

Yeah, but if he waits and buys used he can use the savings to have VF supercharge it. 😜

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7u80vnfY3Xs
    2012 S4 DSG, Ibis, Nappa, sports diff, EPL stg 1 ECU/TCU, Eurocode intake, 034 TM, X-pipe, C-Quartz, Akebonos, BFI shift knob.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    18 R8 RWS, 13 S8, 15 Macan Turbo, 04 Ducati SS1000DS

It burbles based on the exhaust. If you get sport exhaust valved, or after market exhaust, it has loads of noises on over run and burbles during coast. The software makes it about 50% more often vs stock. Not louder, just longer duration and under more conditions. It borders on excessive with software. The seventh gear in the plus is the same as the non plus sixth gear. You will like having the extra gear for highway driving at speed. Less fuel, and less drone. You cant tell the two engines apart until 6k rpm. They are indistinguishable in every aspect. Only the gearing is different. It takes a pretty observant driver to notice the changes at high rpm even from just the feel. Its more measureable than perceived. However if you redline a few gears back to back you will notice the power pulls right to redline, vs tapering off to redline. The plus makes it feel like you could pull another thousand rpm. Its insane on the top, but identicle on the bottom mid.

So to sum it up. You have to be doing hooligan driving to see any of that extra kick on the street. Driving around between 6 and 8500 rpm is not easy to do on the street. Its noisey, and fast when driving like that. At the track, it would shine through for sure though.

Software is the solution if you want the 630hp at the crank.

Rws with software is crazy fast. Less drivetrain loss, less weight, same power. I bet its good for 210 mph in sixth.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7u80vnfY3Xs
    2013 Daytona S8, B&O, Bk alcantara, Solar, 360 camera, adaptive cruise,
    2015 Rhodium Macan Turbo, BK alcantara, Loaded.
    2018 Ibis R8 Rear Wheel Series, Canadian Spec.

Veteran Member Four Rings SQive's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 R8 GT; 2016 SQ5; 2017 Q7

In that video, the non-plus was quicker off the line, and he started to real him in towards the end.
    Get the non-plus and tune it.
    2012 R8 GT, Suzuka with carbon fiber (#298 of 333)
    2017 Q7 P+, Ink Blue, Pistachio Beige, Warm, Vision, Bose, Towing (wife's ride)
    2016 SQ5, Sepang, Black Optic, Technology, BBS CH-R Gold 20x10.5 with 295's
    -2014 SQ5, Monsoon, Sans pano, totaled by a Xanexed-out broad in a Denali XL