Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Dodge Journey, 1998 Passat AEB, 1999 Passat AEB, 2000 A4 ATW, 2002 A6 3.0/2.7T tiptronic KLR250

A3 newbie: troubleshoot AC

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    AC stopped working.
    Have 150 psi on low and high side (so compressor not kicking in).
    a) don't think low pressure switch is issue (first thing i normally do when compressor not kicking in is byhpass low pressure switch). But mine has 3 wire, not sure which pins to jump. Anyone has pin out or can advise which pins to short to bypass the switch?
    b) want to check on compressor clutch if it gets 12V. Haven't found the connector yet; where is most convenient place to get to it? If more than 2 wire: which one should have 12V?
    c) put external 12V on compressor clutch. Pinout (plus 12V, ground) for the clutch connector?
    d) is there a fuse for the compressor clutch to check?

Any other suggestions how to go about troubleshooting the AC?

Car is 2006 A3 2.0T FWD DSG auto
    01 Allroad Tiptronic, TCU tune, mild stg 3 (350 HP) tune (stock injectors) KraftwerkTurbo TM1. Lower, Wider. Custom tip vent pod with Podi
    02 Allroad 6 spd, Kraftwerk Turbo TM6, 750cc, 3" MAF, piggy, FMIC, CM stg 5 (hate). 30 psi at 3600 rpm. Needs stronger rods (coming).
    05 Golf TDI
    Looking for 2001 A4 1.8T quattro manual with blown motor
    www.regulatorfix.com
    www.kraftwerkturbo.com

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by vtraudt View Post
    AC stopped working.
    Have 150 psi on low and high side (so compressor not kicking in).
    a) don't think low pressure switch is issue (first thing i normally do when compressor not kicking in is byhpass low pressure switch). But mine has 3 wire, not sure which pins to jump. Anyone has pin out or can advise which pins to short to bypass the switch?
    b) want to check on compressor clutch if it gets 12V. Haven't found the connector yet; where is most convenient place to get to it? If more than 2 wire: which one should have 12V?
    c) put external 12V on compressor clutch. Pinout (plus 12V, ground) for the clutch connector?
    d) is there a fuse for the compressor clutch to check?

Any other suggestions how to go about troubleshooting the AC?

Car is 2006 A3 2.0T FWD DSG auto

No fuse for the clutch. Only the fans.
    Having my compressor replaced tonight along with the high side pressure sensor and drier.

Got an outstanding price and super-fast delivery from https://www.buyautoparts.com/

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Dodge Journey, 1998 Passat AEB, 1999 Passat AEB, 2000 A4 ATW, 2002 A6 3.0/2.7T tiptronic KLR250

Quote Originally Posted by primaryw View Post
    No fuse for the clutch. Only the fans.
    Having my compressor replaced tonight along with the high side pressure sensor and drier.
    [/URL]
    Keep me posted. Don't see how drier could prevent the clutch from engaging.

Still need pin out for the clutch wire connector so I can check clutch for continuity and/or put 12V to it. Obviously need to check clutch function first before yanking out compressor.

Based on what findings/observations/tests/symptoms did you decide to change the compressor?
    01 Allroad Tiptronic, TCU tune, mild stg 3 (350 HP) tune (stock injectors) KraftwerkTurbo TM1. Lower, Wider. Custom tip vent pod with Podi
    02 Allroad 6 spd, Kraftwerk Turbo TM6, 750cc, 3" MAF, piggy, FMIC, CM stg 5 (hate). 30 psi at 3600 rpm. Needs stronger rods (coming).
    05 Golf TDI
    Looking for 2001 A4 1.8T quattro manual with blown motor
    www.regulatorfix.com
    www.kraftwerkturbo.com