Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Deciding on purchase - Need help

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm hoping some knowledgeable people can chime in and help me with my purchasing decision. I've found a a7 with extremely low mileage but it has a few scratches, ding, etc. I've included some pics and looking for feedback around what kind of effort would it take to fix.

I've read that it's hard to match silver metallic paint. There is a scratch on the rear where it appears that the previous owner had something in the rag that they used to clean and scratched through the clear coat (feel with fingernail). My offer for the vehicle is reflective of this but I'm now wondering if it's worth the effort. Please let me know your thoughts.

https://imgur.com/a/0atj7sT

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mpressive6 View Post
    I'm hoping some knowledgeable people can chime in and help me with my purchasing decision. I've found a a7 with extremely low mileage but it has a few scratches, ding, etc. I've included some pics and looking for feedback around what kind of effort would it take to fix.

I've read that it's hard to match silver metallic paint. There is a scratch on the rear where it appears that the previous owner had something in the rag that they used to clean and scratched through the clear coat (feel with fingernail). My offer for the vehicle is reflective of this but I'm now wondering if it's worth the effort. Please let me know your thoughts.

https://imgur.com/a/0atj7sT
    Trying again to post pic. Hope this works.

https://i.imgur.com/eEeBBp3.jpg

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Here are some additional pics.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Looks like most of that would come right out in capable hands.
    C7 A6 3.0T, APR Stage 2++

Dragy verified times:
    0-60mph 3.32s
    1/4 mile 11.46s @120.07mph

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

It's hard to tell in the pics you sent, but it looks like they are just thru the clear coat (similar to what I've had branches do to my car before). If that's the case, you'd be surprised what you can do with a touch-up pen! I had a few scratches like that on my B7, and made them barely visible with a touch-up pen (only because it was pearl and I didn't have a pearl topcoat on). I think you can get it to look fine, especially if you're not right on it. Requires some patience and some elbow grease (buffing, etc), but you should be fine.

While no expert, I could try to help with that if you don't have the right tools and all that jazz.

Hopefully the price is reduced commensurate with the scratches. Ding-wise, there is paintless dent removal (though you could try to use an upside-down can of compressed air with the heat we're having).

Btw, where in MD are you? I'm in Glen Burnie
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - stock
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    GTR, GT4, RS7

The scratches seem to be only on the clear. A good wet sand and polish might get rid of most of those scratches. The deeper ones may require clear coating. Normally a good spray of prep-solvent will show if a clear coat is all it needs. If the lines disappear then a shop should be able to quote you for re-clear coating the section / panel. I wouldn't let minor scratches turn you down from an amazing car. Doesn't matter what car it is.
    IRS7 DGP - Millek Straight Valve Sonic // SRM Intake // CETE ASC // ECS Flush Spacers // 034 Motorsport Transmission-Diff-Carrier Inserts // Goodridge SS Brake Lines // APR Stage 1

K2 Automotive - www.k2autobody.com

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Audibot View Post
    It's hard to tell in the pics you sent, but it looks like they are just thru the clear coat (similar to what I've had branches do to my car before). If that's the case, you'd be surprised what you can do with a touch-up pen! I had a few scratches like that on my B7, and made them barely visible with a touch-up pen (only because it was pearl and I didn't have a pearl topcoat on). I think you can get it to look fine, especially if you're not right on it. Requires some patience and some elbow grease (buffing, etc), but you should be fine.

While no expert, I could try to help with that if you don't have the right tools and all that jazz.

Hopefully the price is reduced commensurate with the scratches. Ding-wise, there is paintless dent removal (though you could try to use an upside-down can of compressed air with the heat we're having).

Btw, where in MD are you? I'm in Glen Burnie
    I'm in Clarksburg, up 270. Are you a professional detailer or just comfortable with a buffer? :

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

If you get next to the car again, try and scratch the paint with your finger nail, if it gets caught itís too deep to compound out and if it doesnít get caught then any competent detailed can get them out.
    Florett Silver/Black/Black Headliner
    S-Line Sport Pkg, LED Headlamps, 55% PhotoSync Tints ,S6 Oem Trunk Spoiler.
    Sport pedals,S6 Diffuser,AWE Touring Exhaust,S Line Flatbottom, S7 Wheels.

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I'm in Clarksburg, up 270. Are you a professional detailer or just comfortable with a buffer? :

Nice! And it's the latter.
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - stock
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bonafyd View Post
    If you get next to the car again, try and scratch the paint with your finger nail, if it gets caught itís too deep to compound out and if it doesnít get caught then any competent detailed can get them out.
    The car is at a distance but the dealer stated that the scratch was deep enough to catch their finger nail that's why I was asking what are the options. Could it be compounded out or would it have to be repainted. If it had to be repainted, how hard would it be to match a metallic silver color, cost, est.

Trying to factor all of this into determining if it's worth the effort.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Audibot View Post
    Nice! And it's the latter.
    Awesome, I have an orbital buffer but I would think something like this would be beyond my skills and experience.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

The car is at a distance but the dealer stated that the scratch was deep enough to catch their finger nail that's why I was asking what are the options. Could it be compounded out or would it have to be repainted. If it had to be repainted, how hard would it be to match a metallic silver color, cost, est.

Trying to factor all of this into determining if it's worth the effort.

My good friend owns a bodyshop and he has this camera he puts on paint and it matches the paint exact I don't recall the name of the camera but it's expensive so the technology to get an exact match is out there.. with that being said he charges $250 a panel so that's a rough guesstimate on a repair.
    Florett Silver/Black/Black Headliner
    S-Line Sport Pkg, LED Headlamps, 55% PhotoSync Tints ,S6 Oem Trunk Spoiler.
    Sport pedals,S6 Diffuser,AWE Touring Exhaust,S Line Flatbottom, S7 Wheels.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bonafyd View Post
    My good friend owns a bodyshop and he has this camera he puts on paint and it matches the paint exact I don't recall the name of the camera but it's expensive so the technology to get an exact match is out there.. with that being said he charges $250 a panel so that's a rough guesstimate on a repair.
    Thanks for the feedback. I have a good shop that I've used in the past so that's an option.

Veteran Member Four Rings RAF_S7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Any competent body shop can match factory paint, I really wouldnít worry about that.

If repair cost is the issue, get some quotations from reputable shops for the repair, and negotiate your discount accordingly.

Whatís the interior like/engine/mileage/options? Those should be the deal maker or breaker....
    2016 S7 Sepang Blue ///Matrix//Bose//Self Park//Lane Assist//ACC//F&R parking cams//Blackvue DR650//Phone Box//Sunroof//Privacy glass//Carbon mirrors//Neidfaktor Steering wheel//RS Knob//OEM RS Grill//Suntek PPF//De-chromed//Roc-Euro//Modded Exhaust//Cete ASC v2 installed//APR Stage 1 on. WoW
    Gone: 2014 Audi A7Q 3.0 TFSI
    Gone: 2011 Audi A6Q 2.8 TFSI
    Gone: 2009 Audi A3Q 2.0 TDIi