Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

B8.5 S4 Winter Storage

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,

I live in WI, and I was thinking of storing my S4 for the winter months. I've seen what salt does to vehicles up here, and I really want to keep my car in good shape. Any advice on what I'd need to do to prep my car for 4-5 months of storage? Is it worth doing or will sitting just introduce more mechanical problems for me? Car would be kept in a storage unit with no climate control.

Thanks!

Veteran Member Four Rings MrFunk's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi S4. 2017 Mini CMS JCW. 2016 Yamaha Z 125. 2007' Honda S2000

4-5 month is pretty light storage and doesn't require any extensive prep.
    There are a plethora of threads here and on other forums plus thousands of articles online about vehicle storage and best practice.

I store my S2000 every winter in a climate controlled facility. It goes down for 4-5 months... which is nothing.

Basics are:
    Over-Inflate tires (not so much a requirement these days with modern tires so meh - I don't even do this)
    Wash/detail the car prior to storage
    Fresh Oil Change & fluid change if timing works
    Full tank of fresh fuel with stabilizer. Use highest octane you can find. Non Oxy fuel is even better.
    Do not run the engine while in storage unless you are getting the car fully up to operating temps.
    I do not cover the car - the facility is very clean and when I get it out it's dust free.
    If you have critters you may want to plug/cover the exhaust tips and place moth balls around the garage...

With that being said - storing the S4 to me is a complete waste of experiencing where the car truly shines. It's a lovely winter machine. Mine is in fact my winter car (I drive the s2k as much as i can between spring and winter) and looks as good today as when I bought it after 6 winter seasons. Protect the paint with wax or sealant, get a good set of snow tires and then enjoy! I think most here would agree... don't waste a good thing.
    12' Prestige S4 + 6MT - Original Owner
    GIAC stg II v2 + AWE Pulley + Alpha Boost Cooler + Meisterwerk Shrt Shifter + AWE Cat-Back + S-Flow Intake & AFE Filter + H&R Front & Rear Sways + USS End Links + H&R OE Springs & Bilstein B8 Sprt Dampeners + Alu-Kreuz + CR-15 Upper Strut Brace + Ceramic Pads & 2-Piece Drilled/Slotted Rotors & SS Lines + Apikol Diff Mnt + 034 Trans Mnt Insert + ECS Diff Inserts

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Legacy GT (Stage 2+ VF52) / 1996 Camaro Z28

I store my Camaro in the garage during winter months - 15+ years now:
    a) Check Tire Pressure - I typically make sure it's ~ 37 PSI
    b) Plug in Battery Tender - I have the $30 model that plugs into the wall outlet and senses voltage to properly maintain the battery
    c) sometimes I change the oil - sometimes not....
    d) roll up windows and make sure t-tops are on
    e) place a few mouse traps around the car - and this year I found some hanging repellant that I placed around the engine bay to keep mice out.

That's it - just park it - IF you have summer tires so not move the car unless temps are 50+ or they may get flat spotted.

That should be fine for 4 months - longer than that fuel
    2012 Moonlight Blue Metallic S4 | Premium + | DSG | 19" Peelers |Sports Diff | MMI w/Nav | B&O Audio | Advanced Key |
    After-Market Add-Ons: Rallitek Aluminum Paddles | USP LED Interior Lighting | Phillips Xtreme +50% Headlight Bulbs
    Performance Upgrades: Stoptech Cryo Slotted Rotors with Porterfield R4-S Pads | Tires = Michelin Pilot 4S (255/35/19)

Senior Member Three Rings USAF_Danny's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Audi S4, 2017 Honda Civic EX

While to each their own, I only stored my S4 for one winter because I was deployed and had no one to look after the car.

He pretty much nailed it on the head ^^

Other things I did:

-Bought a battery tender and hooked up my battery for the 6 months I was away. Amazon sells nice ones, and it helps keep your voltage high.
    -Bought these "race ramps" that you drive over to help prevent your tires from getting flat spots.
    -Used a car cover. (I bought a brand new cover so I knew there wasn't any debris trapped inside of it. After a long detail, I put the cover on. Car covers can scratch your paint if you aren't careful)
    -Socks/rags in the muffler tips. Helps prevent any mice hideaway for warmth during the winter.
    -Dryer sheets inside the car. Smells good, and keeps unwanted critters out.
    -Moth balls around the garage. Definitely keeps any unwanted animals out. Even humans..because it smells awful.

I do agree though, the S4 is an amazing car during the winter time. I drive the shit out of it since I'm a very avid snowboarder.

With that said, if you're thinking of getting a beater and storing the S4 for the winter time, don't. Unless the beater you're buying is just as new or nice, you'll hate driving it in the winter time.
    YouTube: DV Motions | Instagram: daanny.vu

[]S4 | EPL Stage 2

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunk View Post
    4-5 month is pretty light storage and doesn't require any extensive prep.
    There are a plethora of threads here and on other forums plus thousands of articles online about vehicle storage and best practice.

I store my S2000 every winter in a climate controlled facility. It goes down for 4-5 months... which is nothing.

Basics are:
    Over-Inflate tires (not so much a requirement these days with modern tires so meh - I don't even do this)
    Wash/detail the car prior to storage
    Fresh Oil Change & fluid change if timing works
    Full tank of fresh fuel with stabilizer. Use highest octane you can find. Non Oxy fuel is even better.
    Do not run the engine while in storage unless you are getting the car fully up to operating temps.
    I do not cover the car - the facility is very clean and when I get it out it's dust free.
    If you have critters you may want to plug/cover the exhaust tips and place moth balls around the garage...

With that being said - storing the S4 to me is a complete waste of experiencing where the car truly shines. It's a lovely winter machine. Mine is in fact my winter car (I drive the s2k as much as i can between spring and winter) and looks as good today as when I bought it after 6 winter seasons. Protect the paint with wax or sealant, get a good set of snow tires and then enjoy! I think most here would agree... don't waste a good thing.
    Thanks for the tips! I have a 99 Silverado that I plan to drive in the winter, so I really don't NEED to drive the S4. I would just much prefer my old truck taking the salt than my more-expensive-to-maintain S4.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by USAF_Danny View Post
    While to each their own, I only stored my S4 for one winter because I was deployed and had no one to look after the car.

He pretty much nailed it on the head ^^

Other things I did:

-Bought a battery tender and hooked up my battery for the 6 months I was away. Amazon sells nice ones, and it helps keep your voltage high.
    -Bought these "race ramps" that you drive over to help prevent your tires from getting flat spots.
    -Used a car cover. (I bought a brand new cover so I knew there wasn't any debris trapped inside of it. After a long detail, I put the cover on. Car covers can scratch your paint if you aren't careful)
    -Socks/rags in the muffler tips. Helps prevent any mice hideaway for warmth during the winter.
    -Dryer sheets inside the car. Smells good, and keeps unwanted critters out.
    -Moth balls around the garage. Definitely keeps any unwanted animals out. Even humans..because it smells awful.

I do agree though, the S4 is an amazing car during the winter time. I drive the shit out of it since I'm a very avid snowboarder.

With that said, if you're thinking of getting a beater and storing the S4 for the winter time, don't. Unless the beater you're buying is just as new or nice, you'll hate driving it in the winter time.
    Thanks for the tips! I already have a 99 Silverado that I drive 50% of the time, so I wouldn't have to go out and buy another car. I've driven the truck exclusively for the past 3 years, so it's basically become my beater that I use for snow/hunting/fishing and also to keep some miles off the S4. I'm going to try storing the car this winter, but if I really miss it then I won't do it in the future.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I'm curious how much value one can save by storing the S4 and keeping the mileage low. I've seen garage queens on trader go for maybe $2-3k higher than regular use cars.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I'm going to be storing my S4 this winter for the first time also. I recently moved to an exceedingly snowy climate and my lowered car just wont work. I have an F150 that I'll use. I never paid any attention to these threads but I'm glad this one came along. While I know the S4 at proper ride height with snow tires is an exceptional snow car, I'm just not interested in modding the suspension to make it work. Plus, fewer miles do why not.
    2014 S4 Estoril Blue, Black Opt, 19" Rotor, Side Assist, Carbon Inlay, B&O Sound, MMI/NAV, Rear Camera, Advanced Key, Supercharged badges, H&R OE, Track+ Spacers, 10/15mm, otherwise stock.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by levigarrett View Post
    I recently moved to an exceedingly snowy climate .
    Lets hope it stays an exceedingly snowy climate. Am beginning to have my doubts.
    2018 RS3
    2015 B8.5 S4
    2011 B8 S4
    2010 A4 Avant
    2007 RS4 (Phantom Black)
    2007 RS4 (Misano Red)
    2013 RS5 - sold

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I'm going to be storing my S4 this winter for the first time also. I recently moved to an exceedingly snowy climate and my lowered car just wont work. I have an F150 that I'll use. I never paid any attention to these threads but I'm glad this one came along. While I know the S4 at proper ride height with snow tires is an exceptional snow car, I'm just not interested in modding the suspension to make it work. Plus, fewer miles do why not.
    You donít have to alter your suspension to make it work. I ride the same ride height year round. Only thing that changes are my wheels lol. Iím pretty sure we get hit harder than you guys in CO. Could be wrong, but hey, Midwest weather is unpredictable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[]S4 | EPL Stage 2

AZ Member #

You donít have to alter your suspension to make it work. I ride the same ride height year round. Only thing that changes are my wheels lol. Iím pretty sure we get hit harder than you guys in CO. Could be wrong, but hey, Midwest weather is unpredictable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You might be on to something. I'll most likely put Hekka's on it just in case I need it and with the roads plowed I think I'd be fine but Im living practically off the grid up here and it can takes some time for the roads to be properly cleared.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DOCEVG View Post
    Lets hope it stays an exceedingly snowy climate. Am beginning to have my doubts.
    Agreed. Last year was pretty weak.
    2014 S4 Estoril Blue, Black Opt, 19" Rotor, Side Assist, Carbon Inlay, B&O Sound, MMI/NAV, Rear Camera, Advanced Key, Supercharged badges, H&R OE, Track+ Spacers, 10/15mm, otherwise stock.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

You might be on to something. I'll most likely put Hekka's on it just in case I need it and with the roads plowed I think I'd be fine but Im living practically off the grid up here and it can takes some time for the roads to be properly cleared.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. Last year was pretty weak.
    Last year was too weak. Sucks for those of us who snowboard :(

I've used my car as a plow before lol. But, if you have a truck, I'd probably just drive it for added safety. Tbh, driving the S4 in the snow is amazing until you hit a curb or something in the ground that's covered in snow. That's the only time I worry.

[]S4 | EPL Stage 2

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 S4 2006 Passat Wagon 00 B5 S4 POS Honda
    Items for Sale

My S4 has been stored every winter. Mine sits for about 3-4 months and i don't do anything except change the oil in the fall before winter. I will set the tire pressures to spec before it sits. My S4 sees maybe 3-4K a year. I've had it since 2014 and only has 17k on her. Putting stuff into the tank is 100% waste of money unless you are storing it for closer to a year or longer. With emissions these days the tank stays almost 100% sealed. hell The Chevy volt claims you can keep the same fuel in there for 1 year without any issues during normal driving.

Occasionally mine might see a day of driving in the winter we get weird weather sometimes in the winters. I don't do anything super special and have had 0 issues with it for 4 years now.

Established Member Three Rings Strong Man's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Winter Time - Quattro Time
    2013 Audi S5 3.0T: Bang & Olufsen, NAV, Audi Quattro Sport Differential, Audi Drive Select, 7-speed dual-clutch automatic with manual shifting mode
    Mods: ||ST2: Unitronic ECU + TCU||Intake: ESC Kohlefaser Luft ||Exhaust: AWE Touring with Resonated DPs 102mm tips||Susp:CR15, Alu K, H&R OE, H&R R Sway Bar, ECS Drv Mnt Insert Kit ||H&R Spacers: 15F/20R || Brakes: ECS SS Lines, StopTech Creo Slotted Rotors F/R, HAWK 5.0 F/R, Motul 600 ||

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

But, if you have a truck, I'd probably just drive it for added safety.
    I feel ďsaferĒ in the truck, but I also need to note that the ABS went out on it. Makes stopping on icy roads quite interesting! Thanks for the input. Good to know others feel the same way I do :)