Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Arin@APR's Avatar
    AZ Member #

#WaterfestPrep SALE – 15% off Software all July!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!

Waterfest is almost here and we’re the title sponsor once again! To celebrate, we’re offering 15% off all APR ECU and TCU Upgrades, programs and options (except Plus), from July 13th until July 31st, at all North American APR Dealers. #GOAPR

Find a dealer: https://goapr.io/d
    GoAPR.com | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Instagram
    Phone: (800) 680-7921 Local Phone: +1 (334) 502-5181 Fax: +1 (334) 502-5180
    Address: APR LLC, 4800 US HWY 280 West, Opelika, AL 36801

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Do you guys have single pulley crank pulley tune for C6 A6?

- - - Updated - - -

I am interested in APR, but from your website it seems limiting where as GIAC has full dual pulley options for the C6 A6 (at own risk of transmission failure)

I just don't want to go into a tuning platform that is limited

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I want to go crank pulley single pulley tune first and then possibly dual in the future

AZ Member #

We have a single pulley for the C6 A6. Without cooling options, going dual pulley would result in lower peak horsepower.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
    We have a single pulley for the C6 A6. Without cooling options, going dual pulley would result in lower peak horsepower.
    Interesting!!! Thank you for sharing this.

Now for the single pulley - do you offer the crank pulley single pulley option? I have heard this is better for 2 reasons maybe you can correct me if I am wrong.

1) The crank pulley is a common point of failure on the stock engine as opposed to the super charger pulley.

2) The crank pulley will generate more HP (but perhaps not with the cooling)

Also are you aware of any cooling solutions for the c6 a6 3.0t?

Also given that dual pulley is limited due to cooling - I also wonder if the single pulley is limited by cooling in anyway as well. Is it possible that adding something like this https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ch/06e145621r/ to my car could even unleash more power for a single pulley tune?

Thank you for disclosing this information, I understand there are business reasons for many things being a business owner myself, but I think the c6 a6 3.0t community here on AZ is enthusiast enough to handle getting the full scoop

It's certainly very attractive when a company discloses full information regarding their products and most importantly WHY

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Also do you know why the c6 a6 3.0t seems to be limited in regards to what power it can make as opposed to every other 3.0t engine?

Is it transmission/cooling related?

AZ Member #

I'd get the SC pulley and call it a day. Cooling, nothing but custom setups here and there.

As far as power, it has a different ECU version than all the rests, so just slightly less tuneability I believe.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
    I'd get the SC pulley and call it a day. Cooling, nothing but custom setups here and there.

As far as power, it has a different ECU version than all the rests, so just slightly less tuneability I believe.
    Interesting! I wonder if a custom tune could unlock that extra power - will you guys ever rethink building a tune for the c6 a6 3.0t ecu which cracks it open to the max?

I think the market is certainly there for people who would buy that in a heart beat

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

In terms of peak horsepower which is all I really care about - in fact I am trying to avoid high torque just due to the transmission.

Because the more pulley I do the more parasitic - so if thermally limited this means even stage 2 would cost me (although maybe higher torque curve) you know it's all a trade off.

Should I go ECU stage 1 or SC stage 2 if I all I care about is peak HP?

So if I were to go stage 2 SC pulley would adding a intercooler boost peak HP?

Basically I am trying to understand what the limiting factors and how I can get the most power out of my car.

I would like to give money, but I want to know I am doing the right thing for my car.

I appreciate the honesty and openness from you guys here.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I think the cooling must occur after compression and given the high effiency design the only real way I see of cooling that high heat intake charge will be to replace the current inter coolers with higher performing one.

That is IF the coolant temperatue within the intercoolers is always ambient temperature but if it is not then further cooling can be accomplished by lowering this temperature.

Does anyone know what liquid runs through the intercoolers and how that liquid is cooled? Because then I can just hook up another radiator onto that line

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zKjp_OZN34

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ch/06e145621r/

This looks like liquid running through the intercooler.... That liquid has to dissipate heat somewhere due to laws of thermodynamics.

Question is where.... Is it just through the radiator? If so then I can just add one of these https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...or/4f0145804k/

- - - Updated - - -

I understand physics, but the thing is I don't even know how to change the oil on my car.

I want to understand what needs to be done to maximize the c6 a6 3.0t.... Sounds like cooling of the intake charge is 1).

The ECU thing I don't really understand that to be quite honest

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Okay I am increasingly thinking that the liquid running through the coolant is the same coolant that goes through the rest of the car and the radiator. I mean it doesn't really matter as long as there is indeed a liquid running through because that liquid could be cooled.

Now to discover whether or not the limiting factor (in terms of charge cooling) is due to the intercoolers or the coolant radiator it comes down to getting a temperature readout post exit of the coolant radiator. Should be ambient in ideal world.....

Question is what are those numbers....... if the 3.0t engines are truly similar than I don't think the intercoolers are limiting but rather the radiator cooling setup for the c6 a6 3.0t may be limiting

That is if thermal throttling is a really a factor

I just wish the information was clear and transparent on this shit I mean some guy at APR knows all of these answers...

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Can you have one of your engineers at APR please comment on this engine and the stages and the implications as to how to extract the most power etc....

A quick summary could really save me a lot of time as I am sure you have done a lot of R&D on this platform... Most things are simple when understood fully

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by NickLim View Post
    Can you have one of your engineers at APR please comment on this engine and the stages and the implications as to how to extract the most power etc....

A quick summary could really save me a lot of time as I am sure you have done a lot of R&D on this platform... Most things are simple when understood fully
    I don't have the same platform as you, but with my B8.5 S5 there are plenty of aftermarket cooling solutions with intercooler, heat exchanger, better coolant pumps, larger coolant reservoirs etc... These are built for stage 2 so it satisfies all your needs in one

For example...
    https://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tunin...changer-system

I have some understanding of physics, as well as cars, but I'd rather let these guys do the thinking for me. And they have. Perhaps they have something similar for your platform. I hope so at least! You might go crazy trying to Piece together the solution yourself lol. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Audizine mobile app
    2014 S5 Technik | 6MT | Black Optics | Blacked Out Heads/Tails | AWE Touring Exhaust 102mm Diamond Black | 034 Tranny mount | 034 Rear Diff mount | CR-15 |AWE Intake | Vorsteiner VFF 103 20x10 Red centre caps | Michelin Pilot Sport PS4 275/30/20 | Red Front lip wrap | Blacked Out rear valence with red wrapped splitter | Red S5 Calipers | RS5 Grille | H&R OE Sports |

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by blackout85 View Post
    I don't have the same platform as you, but with my B8.5 S5 there are plenty of aftermarket cooling solutions with intercooler, heat exchanger, better coolant pumps, larger coolant reservoirs etc... These are built for stage 2 so it satisfies all your needs in one

For example...
    https://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tunin...changer-system

I have some understanding of physics, as well as cars, but I'd rather let these guys do the thinking for me. And they have. Perhaps they have something similar for your platform. I hope so at least! You might go crazy trying to Piece together the solution yourself lol. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Audizine mobile app
    Thank you for your input! This is in regards to the c6.5 a6 though

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The engines are basically the exact same from what I can understand the only thing is that companies haven't invested the RND to make plug and play solutions as they believe the tuner market is not as large as it is for b8 s4 and I think they are right here.

Although I think they are wrong in thinking that the c6.5 a6 3.0t market is too small to justify a small amount of RND

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

There are two and only 2 possibilities here.

The horsepower is constrained by heat OR the horsepower is constrained by the tune (i.e: the tune isn't the best tune you can get for whatever reason).

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I think the idea of a dual pulley is bull shit, just 1 large pulley would have LITERALLY the same effect.

I think there is something going on with the tune here and I have no fucking clue what it is.

I have a speculation, and that is all this is, that the tuners are restricting it, but I can't wrap my head around why on earth that would be the case.