Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings mattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Built a removable front plate bracket for my B8.5 with stock grille

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My stock grille has no holes in it but we need front plates here. I wanted to have a removable front plate without having to drill holes in my grille.

Last summer I made a little bracket that I two-way taped to the front grille, but it made it difficult if I wanted to remove/install often.
    2 pieces of plastic, drilled chamfered holes to insert small nuts, and glued the pieces together. That allowed me to screw the license plate to the bracket, and two-way tape the bracket to the grille.
    For an easy and cheap solution, it did the trick for a while. But kind of a pain to remove.

But to make something easily removable I thought I'd build a bracket to attach to the crash bar and hide behind the grille, and bolt the license plate to that bracket.
    Bent a piece of aluminum flashing for a fitment test.

bent and welded a metal bracket

painted and ready to attach to the crash bar.

I drilled two holes through the crash bar (top and bottom) and ran 5" bolts through the crash bar to attach the bracket.
    here it is attached, this is how it will look when the plate is removed. You can barely see the 2 little bracket ends sticking out under the crash bar

now onto the plate brackets

And here it is installed.
    The final product is really solid, I tried pushing on it and I'm confident the wind won't be able to move it so it won't touch the grille.

Last edited by mattro; 07-13-2018 at 08:44 AM.
    S4
    This | is | where | people | usually | list | their | mods | separated | by | these | vertical | lines

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Great job. My only question would be whether it would look better if the plate matched the angle of the grill. Not sure if you tried that or not.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

awesome I might replicate this idea for myself. I live in Ontario which requires a front plate but I have a black optics grill with no drill holes and I cant bring myself to drill the grill to mount the plate holder.
    ive gone 1.5yrs so far with no plate and have yet to be hassled by law enforcement

Active Member Two Rings Audiraz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Not trying to 1 up. Just an alternate method for those reading.

I used Neodymium Magnets with double sided foam tape. Put four on the back of the grille. And four on the plate. Easy on and off. They are strong, and I have never had to worry about it falling off. If you have ever played with these magnets, you understand!

Pack of 6 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XD2X45M..._KXlsBbCMSP0EX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings sacandagaD's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 S4 P+, 2005 Honda Element,2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Now here are two perfect examples of why this forum is great. Both nice solutions!
    2015 P+, Sepang Blue, Black/Black Alcantara, Tech package, Sport Diff, DSG, Carbon inlays, B&O, Hard wired V1, CR-15, 3M film, 19" PSS/Hartmann Rotor reps, Akebonos, LED interior and reverse lights, ZxE fogs, CW Pro, Soundakator mute, RS Rep grille.

Loved but traded: 2011 S4 P+, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Black/Silver Alcantara

Senior Member Three Rings mattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Audiraz View Post
    Not trying to 1 up. Just an alternate method for those reading.

I used Neodymium Magnets with double sided foam tape. Put four on the back of the grille. And four on the plate. Easy on and off. They are strong, and I have never had to worry about it falling off. If you have ever played with these magnets, you understand!

Pack of 6 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XD2X45M..._KXlsBbCMSP0EX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes I've seen that before, I like that idea too.
    Somehow I was too lazy to remove the bumper/grille to install magnets in the back, but not lazy enough to bend and weld metal and spend 2 evenings on the brackets I made... go figure lol
    S4
    This | is | where | people | usually | list | their | mods | separated | by | these | vertical | lines

Senior Member Three Rings ericbull's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

Brilliant work.

Eric | Philadelphia, PA
    '03 A4 Avant 3.0q 6MT