Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Rotors Break In?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I just received new rotors for my 2012 s4 and it came with instructions that stated the rotors must be broken in. It says engage medium breaking from 40 to 5-10 mph 4 times, then go 60 and aggressively break to to 15 mph and repeat this 8 times. Let the car then sit for 30 minutes. Is this actually necessary? I'm not sure where in the world I could conduct this break in on public roads after putting new rotors on....
    Current: 2012 Audi S4 3.0TFSI, Ibis White, Black/Silver Alcantara Interior, Navigation Package, B&O, Rear Acoustic Parking Sensors, Sports Differential, Carbon Atlas Inlays, 19" Peelers, AWE Exhaust, V1 for protection.

Retired: 2006 Audi A4 2.0T S-Line nearly loaded

Retired: 2003 Acura 3.2 Cl Type S with AEM intake, AlphaWerks headers, O&E Sport springs, Tokico Blue shocks, Eibach Sways

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Yes. It’s important to bed the pads with the new rotors. I do it at an a small local airport’s streets around 10 PM when there’s no traffic around

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Three Rings USAF_Danny's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Audi S4, 2017 Honda Civic EX

Absolutely necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YouTube: DV Motions | Instagram: daanny.vu

[]S4 | EPL Stage 2

Established Member Two Rings The Machine's Avatar
    AZ Member #

When I do brakes on any of my cars I always have to wait until 11pm or so to take it out to do a proper bed procedure. Any other time of the day would be a hassle because of other people on the road.

Veteran Member Four Rings sacandagaD's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 S4 P+, 2015 BMW X3 M-sport, 2005 Honda Element, On order: 2018 Porsche Macan GTS
    Items for Sale

I don't know about parking for 30 minutes afterward, but you should not come to a complete stop until your brakes/rotors have had a chance to cool down.
    2015 P+, Sepang Blue, Black/Black Alcantara, Tech package, Sport Diff, DSG, Carbon inlays, B&O, Hard wired V1, CR-15, 3M film, 19" PSS/Hartmann Rotor reps, Akebonos, LED interior lights, ZxE fogs, CW Pro, Soundakator mute, RS Rep grille.

Loved but traded: 2011 S4 P+, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Black/Silver Alcantara

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by sacandagaD View Post
    I don't know about parking for 30 minutes afterward, but you should not come to a complete stop until your brakes/rotors have had a chance to cool down.
    This is by far the most important step in bedding in pads.

AZ Member #

very interesting, I've never even heard of a shop advising their customers of this break in procedure. I would assume the majority of audi owners who are not on the forums and bring their car in for new rotors dont do this process.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by audifan22 View Post
    very interesting, I've never even heard of a shop advising their customers of this break in procedure. I would assume the majority of audi owners who are not on the forums and bring their car in for new rotors dont do this process.
    A buddy has his brakes done in his Jaguar XF, and they did not bed the brakes in properly (or at all). He almost crashed leaving the shop. He brought it back and they apologized for not taking the car out after the work was done and bedding the brakes in for him.

Veteran Member Four Rings theweebabyseamus's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It doesn’t take long, I imagine a good shop does it for the client.

Senior Member Three Rings USAF_Danny's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Audi S4, 2017 Honda Civic EX

Maybe it's because the bedding procedure is done for them?

It's not hard to do. Just a few big stops here and there.

Be safe.
    YouTube: DV Motions | Instagram: daanny.vu

[]S4 | EPL Stage 2

Veteran Member Four Rings blackfunk's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Bedding the brakes is not NECESSARY. It helps - significantly - in mating the rotors and pads together by essentially a) removing oils and deposits etc from the rotor b) leaves pad materials on the rotor enabling a better biting surface. It is a process that happens naturally over time and is really only necessary (that word again) if you're driving in a spirited fashion imediately after changing your rotors. As was stated before DO NOT sit on your brakes while they're hot as it will leave pad material on the rotors making it feel like your rotors are warped. The bedding process is also something that should be done periodically as well. Not just when changing rotors and/or pads.
    Life has taught me never try to make something idiot proof, they'll simply come up with a better idiot.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro; 2010 Acura RDX (my wife's vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by USAF_Danny View Post
    Absolutely necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ditto. Especially for Audis. Proper bedding reduces or eliminates squealing on stock pads and rotors.
    2014 Monsoon Gray S4 Prem+ | S-Tronic | LH Magma Nappa leather interior | Carbon Atlas inlays | Sports Diff | Adaptive Damping suspension | 19” peelers | MMI Nav | Bang & Olufsen | tints | VAG COM mods via OBDeleven | Autostyle Mats

Established Member Two Rings BucDan's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Do it late at night! Going 40-5 4 times can be done in like 60 seconds, total. 60 to 15 8 times can be done in like 3 minutes! Thankfully, our cars can accelerate fast enough in 100 yards and brake, and repeat, often enough to finish it in under a mile worth of driving for bedding. Then you can let it cool by cruising around on the freeway at low speeds for about 10 minutes.

I would even go the extra mile at attach a piece of paper on the back of my car that says "Bedding my brakes", in case a police officer was wondering what the heck i was doing.

Oh, and not everyone lives next to a long strip of road, so when you do drive to that location, go easy on the brakes.

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Jake@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MK7-GTI-APR-STG2-Grand-Cherokee-R6-Raven-IRON-1250

Improper bedding can lead to pad deposits which will give you the illusion that your rotors are "warped". If your rotor manufacturer supplies a bed in procedure it is highly recommend you follow them.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jake@JHM View Post
    Improper bedding can lead to pad deposits which will give you the illusion that your rotors are "warped". If your rotor manufacturer supplies a bed in procedure it is highly recommend you follow them.
    Yup. Virtually every time someone thinks their rotors are "warped", it's actually chatter from uneven pad material transfer on the rotor. Contrary to popular belief, rotors don't warp.