Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings Senseless's Avatar
    AZ Member #

How well does driver assist work?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm considering a Prestige A5 Sportback and the optional Drivers Assistance Package ($1800). Do you use the auto parking function and how well does the Adaptive Cruise work? I don't care about the speed limit sign recognition.
    2012 S4- 6MT, Sport Diff, MMI Nav, B&O, Phantom Black, Red Silk Nappa, Adv Key. USP SS clutch line, sport shifter.

Senior Member Two Rings zoomzoom!'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Q5 3.0T (Wife), 2000 GMC Sierra

Adaptive cruise works great, although it can be a bit zealous with the deceleration at times. I don't have auto-park....I don't think these care have autonomous parking.
    SOLD: 2013 A6 3.0T

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom! View Post
    Adaptive cruise works great, although it can be a bit zealous with the deceleration at times. I don't have auto-park....I don't think these care have autonomous parking.
    It says it has "Parking System Plus". I thought that was the auto parking function.
    2012 S4- 6MT, Sport Diff, MMI Nav, B&O, Phantom Black, Red Silk Nappa, Adv Key. USP SS clutch line, sport shifter.

Veteran Member Four Rings IanCH's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Senseless View Post
    It says it has "Parking System Plus". I thought that was the auto parking function.
    Top view camera
    Daily Car 2018 S5 SB - P+ - Nav - Sport - VMR801 - JB4 Map 2
    Sometimes Car 2015 Golf R - DCC - DSG - Oryx White Pearl - APR Stg II+ 93 (HT) - APR TCU - APR DP - Unitronic IC - AFe Stg2 Intake

SOLD 2011 S4 - Prestige - Dipped Royal Blue Pearl

"I'm the one person on Audizine who cares about engineering." - westwest888

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom! View Post
    This! I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I hate to say it but that system is far more intuitive with its deceleration as it comes up to a car. We had a S3 before this and it was pretty much the same thing as the S4. The S4 might be slightly better but Audi still needs to work on their system. I'm constantly thinking in my head that I would be coasting now and then starting to brake while the ACC continues to barrel down on the car in front of it.

It does a great job on the highway. That's really where this system shines.

I find in the city it loses its "road lines" too easily. Sometimes it will show both green hash marks meaning it knows where the lane is. Then to mess with it, ill let the car drift and instead of correcting the cars like "haha I really don't see the road and I'm just gonna let you drift out of the lane now" and then the green hash marks disappear.

It can be a little over corrective in the city as well. You will feel it nudge you around sometimes when its really not called for.

Its a nice feature to have but if a car I was looking at didn't have it I don't think it would be a deal breaker for me.

AZ Member #

Thanks for that info. The next question is how much of a letdown is it going from an S to an A model? I will have to think more about that one. I feel that I'm not taking advantage of the 3.0 power often enough to make it a must have, but there are other elements of the S that are nicer.

Veteran Member Four Rings IanCH's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Have to say that I think you'll miss the seats, but the new 2.0t is quite the engine. I have the '18 Q5 and I think its quite a quick car compared to previous iterations of the motor. Also you retain the (IMO) nicer 7 spd DSG in the A car.

If I bought an A5 I would probably get the ventilated sport seats.
    Daily Car 2018 S5 SB - P+ - Nav - Sport - VMR801 - JB4 Map 2
    Sometimes Car 2015 Golf R - DCC - DSG - Oryx White Pearl - APR Stg II+ 93 (HT) - APR TCU - APR DP - Unitronic IC - AFe Stg2 Intake

SOLD 2011 S4 - Prestige - Dipped Royal Blue Pearl

"I'm the one person on Audizine who cares about engineering." - westwest888

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post
    Have to say that I think you'll miss the seats, but the new 2.0t is quite the engine. I have the '18 Q5 and I think its quite a quick car compared to previous iterations of the motor. Also you retain the (IMO) nicer 7 spd DSG in the A car.

If I bought an A5 I would probably get the ventilated sport seats.
    I'd have to do a used S5 SB if going that route. They are hard to find right now, because it's such a new model. Ventilated seats in the A5SB would be a must have option. I'm fairly sure the S5SB deletes the massage function for vented seats, however. That's a tough tradeoff.