Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings RocksForsSale's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Coolant leak drivers turbo

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey Iíve had a slow coolant leak for sometime thatís now evident on the drivers turbo. Any way to get at this without a motor pull? Not sure if itís the feed or drain (or whatís more common) any thoughts would be great!
    IMG_3198.JPG IMG_3200.JPGIMG_3206.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

https://youtu.be/M0-ho0LIAg8 hereís a small video. Cars not running; thatís a Touareg in front of me.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Topped the water off, ran it again... no leak when parked like before. Itís a steady leak though at least before this going through 2 gallons of distilled water every week. I thought it had just gotten worse.

Senior Member Four Rings b7_Andy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I think @fleener22 had a leak from one of his turbos and he managed to fix it without removing the engine. Check out post 277 in his simple and clean K04 build thread. Youíll just have to figure out which line is leaking and then see if you can make a tool for it.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Ok thanks! Iím going to try and rent of those pressure testers somewhere that goes on the expansion tank. Iíll start removing stuff from the top to see if I can get a eyeball on things a little better.

Senior Member Four Rings christianb5s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Are you sure it's the turbo? The fact it doesn't do it every time leads me to think it could be something else, for example the afterrun coolant pump under the intake manifold. Look under your intake manifold and y-pipe and see if there's any coolant pooled in there.
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 312K - 2.4sec FATs - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - SRM K24s w/ Custom Turbosmart wastegates - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG/Oil Lines - SRM V3 Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Iím not sure myself. Thatís why I need one of those coolant system pressurizer testers. I say the turbo because a shop mentioned it when they topped me off with coolant last winter... when it was very slow. It also manifests itself under the drivers turbo there more or less when it was dripping out visibly like in the video. Since then it hasnít done as much as this but back to setting off the sensor after a few short trips.

The pump sounds normal when itís running, but this is a possibility Iíll check under there again sometime. Iím running distilled water so itís hard to see more or less and evaporates pretty quickly Iím guessing why itís hard to see - hot engine, summer time.

I did get some good info from that thread. Tool would look like this:

IMG_3216.jpgIMG_3221.jpgIMG_3219.jpg

Veteran Member Four Rings S4_NE's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    just my two S4's

Quote Originally Posted by christianb5s4 View Post
    Are you sure it's the turbo? The fact it doesn't do it every time leads me to think it could be something else, for example the afterrun coolant pump under the intake manifold. Look under your intake manifold and y-pipe and see if there's any coolant pooled in there.

Rule out your after run pimp like stated above, I hope it is an easy fix for you GL
    2001 S4 TIP STG 3 EPL tune,517 trans shop, and Stuff
    2001 S4 Avant TIP STG 0, Vast snub mount, 710N's, AWE boost gage, Tints, more to come...

Turbo's are the Perfect Drug

Veteran Member Four Rings CELison's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Turn the car on, jump under it and see where itís leaking from. If you had coolant in it you could see the crust in the banjos, but since you donít, youíll have to look for it dripping.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Well itís gotten progressively worse, itís needing to top off the reservoir every 15 minutes or so of run time. Iím sure jacking it up and having it run it should be easy to figure it out.

However, from the vid when it really spewed out there off, itís tough to see in that area. Lots of potential spots and pretty tight. Itís definitely more or less when itís running or overheating/boiling over while turned off sitting.

It tends to steam up from the heatecore Iím guessing I hear a gurgling and boiling behind the dash and fog up the inside of the windshield when itís boiling over when level is low and driven on, my secondary power fan doesnít work as well. I get it off before it goes a notch or two, but still just water no coolant.

Shop said it was the turbo coolant line a while back when it was very slow and motor pull was required. This was winter time and I had coolant in there, so maybe they just saw the crustiness. Iím sure I just need to make a tool by grinding down a cheap 19mm wrench and get after it. Def wanna rule other spots out first though.

Veteran Member Four Rings CELison's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thereís only so many places it can leak back there. Crossover pipe, heater core hoses, turbos, after run pump. All of which can be seen with a flashlight without removing anything.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Gotcha, I peaked under the intake manifold galleys there while parked, and def has a leak there. Iíll double check while itís running tomorrow and jack it up from underneath. IMG_3277.jpg IMG_3278.jpg

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Itís got very small pools on both sides of the manifold.