Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Suggested Modifications for 2018 RS3

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I will start by saying I'm quite new to car tuning. Never really had a desire, but seeing as I now have the money to afford the car I want I figured I would get into it more. I think I have a basic understanding of the different stages (1, 1+, 2, 2+, 3) and parts that would effect performance (IC, intake, turbo, downpipes, exhaust, etc). I was interested in getting some feedback about what individuals would recommend moving forward with. I will caveat this with the fact that I'm not trying to break any records or have the fastest car by any stretch. Mostly something that is very enjoyable to drive and potential take to a track every once and a while. I don't want to dump thousands of dollars just for a few extra HP.

Right now I'm looking at potentially at stage 1 ECU and TCU tune and cold air intake because I like the sound of the turbo as it spools up. What else would you suggest?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999 Camaro SS

If you are tuning it, get an Intercooler.
    2018 Nardo RS3 - Stock-ish

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Paul@SupremePower's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 RS3 |2014 B8.5 S5 stage 2+ |2010 MK6 GTI KO4 -gone

Intercooler for sure. Without that upgrade everything will suffer. Even the stock tune would be better with just that. Itís my first performance move on this one.

Honestly an intercooler, intake and stage 1 tune looks to be a very nice bump for this platform. I think a lot of ppl will be happy around the 500 crank HP neighborhood.

Email: Paul@SupremePower.com aka: allset
    Call or Text: 914-243-1993

IG: paul_gi_5264 | FB: Paul Gi

| 034 | ADV.1 | AG | Advan | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Forgeline | H&R | Klassen | KW | Milltek | Modulare | Neuspeed | Ohlins | OZ | Stoptech | Signature | VMR | Volk | Vorsteiner | Vossen | Work | & many more

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Any recommended ones?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by rsh3 View Post
    Any recommended ones?
    If you want to keep the crash bar, STM and Iroz both use a good Garrett core. If you don't care about the crash bar, that opens up more options like wagner.
    2018 Nardo RS3 - Stock-ish

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Well one of the problems with a such new platform like this is availability. Theres not too much out there yet.

Intercoolers that are out are STM and Iroz. Both have solid cores but I like iroz because they have a black option. Iím sure Unitronic and APR are imminent.

Intakes are eventuri, IE, CTS. They are pretty different in form, somewhat different in function and sound. Iím not sure which I like here yet. AWE and 034 Motorsport are imminent.

Everybody has their favorite tuners and I like to stay away from those recommendations. However If your not only about the most power possible do some research on the tuners and their customer support structure. That holds a lot of weight imo.

| 034 | ADV.1 | AG | Advan | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Forgeline | H&R | Klassen | KW | Milltek | Modulare | Neuspeed | Ohlins | OZ | Stoptech | Signature | VMR | Volk | Vorsteiner | Vossen | Work | & many more

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Paul@SupremePower View Post
    Well one of the problems with a such new platform like this is availability. Theres not too much out there yet.

Intercoolers that are out are STM and Iroz. Both have solid cores but I like iroz because they have a black option. Iím sure Unitronic and APR are imminent.

Intakes are eventuri, IE, CTS. They are pretty different in form, somewhat different in function and sound. Iím not sure which I like here yet. AWE and 034 Motorsport are imminent.

Everybody has their favorite tuners and I like to stay away from those recommendations. However If your not only about the most power possible do some research on the tuners and their customer support structure. That holds a lot of weight imo.
    Thanks, that really answered all of my questions. I'm waiting for mine to arrive from NM right now, but it sounds like by the time my break in period I'll have some more options available to me.

AZ Member #

Intercooler for sure. Without that upgrade everything will suffer. Even the stock tune would be better with just that. Itís my first performance move on this one.

Honestly an intercooler, intake and stage 1 tune looks to be a very nice bump for this platform. I think a lot of ppl will be happy around the 500 crank HP neighborhood.
    Frankly, I am even very happy with the current 400 hp...sometimes you just have to be satisfied with what you already have ... otherwise it never stops.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn WAS-LX1A met Tapatalk
    Why no RS3 flag

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doohie View Post
    Frankly, I am even very happy with the current 400 hp...sometimes you just have to be satisfied with what you already have ... otherwise it never stops.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn WAS-LX1A met Tapatalk
    This is the first out of the box daily Iíve had that I could be happy with leaving bone stock. I could.... but I wonít. 😃😃😃

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Short Version - It's all about what you want out of the car.

As state above, intercooler. I've got a write up on it and a how-to guide for the STM intercooler, you can find both of those here:

https://robspace.net/2018/05/29/revi...v-intercooler/

https://robspace.net/2018/06/24/2018...install-guide/

If you like the noise better than the power (and want to keep some change in your pocket), the CTS turbo intake netted 4 less hp than the IE, and makes a hell of a sound:

https://robspace.net/2018/06/30/revi...audi-rs3-ttrs/

Long(er) version:

The only part(s) that you may also wish to do are a rear-sway-bar to keep the cornering nice and flat, and if you plan to track your car or put it into a situation where the brakes are going to become EXTREMELY hot, you'll be wanting some brakes, rather quickly.

Best bang-for-the-buck mods for braking are the S8 rear caliper conversion (I know, rears sound backward, but this car has a tremendous front bias, and adding a larger rear rotor actually helps quite a bit), as well as some top-notch pads, such as CarboTech 1521's for the street and XP12(front)/XP10(rear) for the track. These pads don't really *start* working until you get up to a few hundred degrees, so you do *not* want to run the track combo on the street. That said, I burned through my stock RS3 pads after a few track events, and the 1521's are phenomenal. Next up for me will be Girodisc front rotors, new tires, and then *maybe* a tune.

All of that above, and I still haven't even gotten to a point where I'm considering a tune. I'm already extremely competitive with stage 2 golf R's on the track, and they are running r-comp's. The only cars that I really can't touch (yet) are track-prepped S2K's (I'm about 4 seconds off their pace) and Corvettes (I'm about 6 seconds off theirs...). I'm having springs and rear sway bar installed today, which I think is going to narrow that gap considerably.
    Current DD: 2018 Audi RS3, Daytona Gray, Black Optics
    Current Tow: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 4x4 5.7L, Tow Package

Retired:
    2014 Audi S4, Black Mythos/Black Optics - ChipWerke
    2011 BMW 335d, M-Sport, Tech, Premium - JBD
    2007 Honda Accord Coupe, V6/6Speed - I tried to be reasonable-ish for a couple of years...
    2000 Ford Mustang 3.8L - Performance Red, 5 spd, Every bolt-on I could get my hands on + some dremel work on the top end

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi Q7 / Jeep '12 JKU

I think the 034 intake is out now correct?

Have you had any thoughts on which ones you're leaning towards?

Also, any one have sound clips of either the IE, Eventuri or 034 or direct me to some sound clips?

Thanks!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cptpizzo View Post
    I think the 034 intake is out now correct?

Have you had any thoughts on which ones you're leaning towards?

Also, any one have sound clips of either the IE, Eventuri or 034 or direct me to some sound clips?

Thanks!
    Not as far as I know on the 034. The one X34 RS3 intake they have listed on their site is for the PFL RS3.

So far I like the IE intake. Although Iím waiting to see what Unitronic has incoming.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi Q7 / Jeep '12 JKU

Not as far as I know on the 034. The one X34 RS3 intake they have listed on their site is for the PFL RS3.

So far I like the IE intake. Although Iím waiting to see what Unitronic has incoming.
    My bad, you're right, sorry X34...

Waiting on the unitronic as well...

Senior Member Three Rings Sniper260687's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What about the CTS intercooler?

Only $799

Looks good

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I think a number of us are in this boat, observing all the development that is going on, trying to evaluate what are the best upgrades to keep it as a comfortable daily driver that can hold its own on a track session or weekend hoon from time to time. This is where I'm at so far.

For agility: I've ordered MSS Track + 034 rear trailing arms to get the right balance comfort vs performance with suspension. Brakes - thinking Girodisc Front and Neuspeed Rear (TTRS so can't use Neuspeed Front to match) - and a fast road/light track pad option. Wheels - thinking 19x9 rse102 or something like BC Forged maybe. Tyres - PS4S 265/35R19 most likely.

Power: I am looking at a good DSG/ECU combo at Stage 2, first maximise the intake/exhaust for the stock turbo. Intercooler, Downpipe as a minimum. I'm not sure on intake, hoping for an "OEM+" option. I'm wondering where the biggest bottlenecks are; I've got my eyes on a large-bore intake pipe, turbo-elbow, inlet manifold elbow + DV. Question is whether that's all a bit pointless if retaining the OEM airbox + intake, or if it's pointless at stage 2. I just like to remove obvious bottlenecks and maximise what is already there where possible for the OEM look and feel.

I need to retain a catalytic converted so looking at downpipe options that will allow fitment of 2x 200-cell secondary cats (e.g. Wagner, or Iroz + custom section), not seen much evidence yet on how much torque that's gonna cost me either.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi Q7 / Jeep '12 JKU

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_T_Boss View Post
    I think a number of us are in this boat, observing all the development that is going on, trying to evaluate what are the best upgrades to keep it as a comfortable daily driver that can hold its own on a track session or weekend hoon from time to time. This is where I'm at so far.

For agility: I've ordered MSS Track + 034 rear trailing arms to get the right balance comfort vs performance with suspension. Brakes - thinking Girodisc Front and Neuspeed Rear (TTRS so can't use Neuspeed Front to match) - and a fast road/light track pad option. Wheels - thinking 19x9 rse102 or something like BC Forged maybe. Tyres - PS4S 265/35R19 most likely.

Power: I am looking at a good DSG/ECU combo at Stage 2, first maximise the intake/exhaust for the stock turbo. Intercooler, Downpipe as a minimum. I'm not sure on intake, hoping for an "OEM+" option. I'm wondering where the biggest bottlenecks are; I've got my eyes on a large-bore intake pipe, turbo-elbow, inlet manifold elbow + DV. Question is whether that's all a bit pointless if retaining the OEM airbox + intake, or if it's pointless at stage 2. I just like to remove obvious bottlenecks and maximise what is already there where possible for the OEM look and feel.

I need to retain a catalytic converted so looking at downpipe options that will allow fitment of 2x 200-cell secondary cats (e.g. Wagner, or Iroz + custom section), not seen much evidence yet on how much torque that's gonna cost me either.
    ^^^. This!

Established Member Three Rings S3DUDE's Avatar
    AZ Member #

do whatever you feel like doing bro. There are tons of people here that spent their money on headrests, interior trim pieces, and pure cosmetic stuff, like studs for the wheel hubs, spoilers, black 4 rings, etc. I am all about engine stuff that makes sense(not spending $1500 on an air filter). it is really up to you, it is your call, your money.

I will do a tune as soon as I get the car, just like I have done it in all my cars, sometimes I even ordered the tunes(ECU piggy backs, flash loaders) before my car was even built. Do it base on what you feel like it, the forum is very divided, you will heard all kinds of stuff, people spending hundreds of dollars on detailing, on clear films. Be you!
    Ran 11.93@118.94 mph at 3100ft elevation running E-29 content as per fuel-it sensor (mixture of 2.5 gallons of ethanol E-80 +6.5 gallons of 91oct). No mods. DA of 4,829ft based on 56% humidity, 72.3F (the time of the run), 29.93 barometric pressure, relative density of 86.62%. NHRA corrected at sea level=11.631 @ 121.934 MPH