Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Bumper Removal

Active Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Bumper Removal

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,

So I'll soon be taking the whole front of my car off to do the timing chain/rails/tensioners/etc.

Right now my main concern is how well I'll be able to get the bumper to line back up when putting it back on.

Thoughts on this? A real concern?

If you've taken yours off, did it go back on OK?

Thanks in advance!

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA

I've removed the front bumper of my A5 several times for a grille replacement. It's very straight forward and no problem at all getting it aligned. I assume the A4 B8 is similar. Once you are familiar with the process you can remove it in 20 or 30 minutes by yourself. I had it off again just last week to try a different grille and the whole process including changing out the grille took about 2 hours.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

AZ Member #

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response; that's great to hear.

And ya I'd assume the A5 and A4 would be similar in terms of process/difficulty given that they are (IIRC) based on the the same platform.

Thanks again.

Established Member Two Rings vincent_nguyen2's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I also did my grille replacement. I did mine when I was 16 and while the grille replacement took like 6hrs, taking off the OEM grille took like 3 of it and finding the damn deep socket took another hour. Figment is perfect reinstalling. Front bumpers are rarely off due to how many damn clips and screws they have. Youíll have an easier time since you donít have to mess with the 12 tabs on the stupid grille
    2014 Brilliant Red A4 Premium + w/ S-Line
    VAG-COM | Hoen H8 35w xenonmatch | RS Style Honeycomb Grill | Deval Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser | AWE Tuning Quadtip Catback Exhaust | Niche Misano 19x8.5 | Solowerks S1 Coilovers | EBC Slotted Rotors | APR Downpipe | APR Stage 2 Tune | SPC Adjustable Control Arms | Michelin PS4S 255/35/19 | ECS Tuning Carbon Fiber Front Lip | Strafedesign Side Skirts

AZ Member #

Thanks. Ha, yes Iíve heard the deep socket can be annoying. Well seen if mine is long enough while also not being too wide. ;-)

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I've removed the front bumper of my A5 several times for a grille replacement. It's very straight forward and no problem at all getting it aligned. I assume the A4 B8 is similar. Once you are familiar with the process you can remove it in 20 or 30 minutes by yourself. I had it off again just last week to try a different grille and the whole process including changing out the grille took about 2 hours.
    What do you do with those damn belly pan single turn screw/speed nuts? Everytime I feel like I strip one out, because they use a flat head screwdriver with very little depth to it. So annoying.

These stupid things:
    2011 B8 A4 ZF8HP // JHM K04-R // APR v3.1 // 034 HFC // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Snow Performance Stage 2 WM Injection // Bilstein B12 Pro-kit // Borla Downpipe // // Rockford 8" Woofers // JL 10" Sub // 2200 W // Audison BitOne DSP

AZ Member #

Heh. I'm missing one of those already and will be picking them up next time I'm at the dealer.

Established Member Two Rings vincent_nguyen2's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A4x View Post
    What do you do with those damn belly pan single turn screw/speed nuts?
    Iím not sure Iíve had to deal with that. All I had were screws underneath. Usually if I have trouble stripping, Iíd just put more force into the screw and then slowly turn. Not entirely sure
    2014 Brilliant Red A4 Premium + w/ S-Line
    VAG-COM | Hoen H8 35w xenonmatch | RS Style Honeycomb Grill | Deval Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser | AWE Tuning Quadtip Catback Exhaust | Niche Misano 19x8.5 | Solowerks S1 Coilovers | EBC Slotted Rotors | APR Downpipe | APR Stage 2 Tune | SPC Adjustable Control Arms | Michelin PS4S 255/35/19 | ECS Tuning Carbon Fiber Front Lip | Strafedesign Side Skirts

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A4x View Post
    What do you do with those damn belly pan single turn screw/speed nuts? Everytime I feel like I strip one out, because they use a flat head screwdriver with very little depth to it. So annoying.

These stupid things:
    They are 1/4 turn "dowel pins" that go into a clip on speed nut that you can't see. Don't push /turn so hard! They are available aftermarket for about $1-2, but $8-10 ea at the dealer. Google this and you will find sources. I order 5-10 from time to time with other stuff, since they rust/break. If you are "stripping" them or they don't hold, the speed nuts could be rusted or damaged.They are also inexpensive.
    8K0805121
    2011 A4 Avant quattro tiptronic/ Eurocode Sway Bars, End Links, Alu Kreuz/ 034 Catch Can/ Various VagCom

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jfo View Post
    They are 1/4 turn "dowel pins" that go into a clip on speed nut that you can't see. Don't push /turn so hard! They are available aftermarket for about $1-2, but $8-10 ea at the dealer. Google this and you will find sources. I order 5-10 from time to time with other stuff, since they rust/break. If you are "stripping" them or they don't hold, the speed nuts could be rusted or damaged.They are also inexpensive.
    8K0805121
    Yea I've put several new ones in and currently have a bag full of them.

The problem is when trying to loosen them. They won't turn. So I try harder and the flat head starts to strip out before it will turn.

This is honestly the worst part about removing the bumper lol.
    2011 B8 A4 ZF8HP // JHM K04-R // APR v3.1 // 034 HFC // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Snow Performance Stage 2 WM Injection // Bilstein B12 Pro-kit // Borla Downpipe // // Rockford 8" Woofers // JL 10" Sub // 2200 W // Audison BitOne DSP

Registered Member Three Rings Nano909's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It's pretty easy, just pay attention to how everything was before you removed it.

If you need a THOROUGH diy on how to remove it, check out ECS' intercooler installation link.

Senior Member Four Rings Poodini's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited

Thereís a couple front bumper removal/alignment posts on here. Just do a search.
    Couple vignettes..
    When switching fr OE to RS4 type or any aftermarket grille, chances are youíll have a little more gap fr the front hood lip to the top of the new grille. You can adjust the height of the bumper supports by turning the top of the cylinder-like piece which sits on top of the actual screw. One full rotation should do.
    With the left n right bracket guides, simply loosen the two nuts AND DONíT completely remove them. Youíll thank yourself later.
    Wanna make getting at the 2 10mm attaching bolts a lot easier? Simply disconnect/set aside you front light assemblies. The securing bolts sit just lateral closer to where the side fender meets w the front bumper. With the headlights out of the way, you can just reach in fro up top and the bolt head is right there. The few minutes to remove the headlamps will make it all worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Awesome, thanks both. I do like the ECS guides. I used one to replace my front suspension.

And it looks like I will remove the headlights. Easier to get the bumper off and less risk for them of me dropping something on them while working.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Odd that your "speed pins" are flat head and silver. All mine are philips #3 heads and black, as in https://www.ecstuning.com/b-febi-par...8k0805121~feb/
    As was mentioned, it could be the speed nuts they turn into are warped or messed up; same kind of issue with rack mount computer screws with cheap rack nuts.