Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Engine won't start after stalling out. B6 '04 S4

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I decided to teach my girlfriend how to drive a manual transmission last Monday. She did great mind you, but stalled out 4 times. The last time she stalled out was trying to park on a small incline in front of our house. After switching seats to park it myself, the engine wouldn't turn over. I figured after trying a second time that we had flooded the engine so I let it rest for almost an hour. When I came back to it, it turned over but then died out before it could even idle. Waited 2 more hours and the engine just made the cranking sound but never turned over assuming for lack of fuel. As you can guess I'm a total newbie with this car and called a mobile mechanic for his thoughts.

The mobile mechanic came and said his best guess was that it was an emergency fuel cutoff valve for when you get into accidents. Per all my reading it doesn't look like there is one, there's just pulling the fuel fuse. Anyway the mechanic left without helping figure out the issue and I'm stuck because of my lack of experience with this car. Any thoughts on what would have caused the lack of fuel? Could it be the fuel pump? Is there a cutoff valve? Any input or help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Right now she's just parked there on a small incline...

Established Member Two Rings M0ve0ver's Avatar
    AZ Member #

so this may be a dumb question, but how much fuel is in the tank?
    05 B6 S4: JHM 93 Tune, Trex DP, JHM 2.5" CB, JHM LWCP, Apikol snub, Bilstein PSS9, 034 Adj Control Arms, 034 Rear Sway + Endlinks, 034 front Endlinks, Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's, 034 wheel studs, 034 Strut Bushings, 034 Lower Control Arms, tyrolsport caliper bushings, ECS braided brake lines, Hawk HPS pads

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    GL450, CLA250, Honda Accord

can you get someone to assist with a rolling start and pop the clutch?
    Audi S4 Avant track project. JHM tune, manual swap, JHM LWFW, JHM stage 4 clutch, JHM linkage trio, JHM intake spacers, JHM tensioner, 034 end links (front and rear), 034 Rear sway, 034 transmission mount, Apikol rear diff mount, ECS tuning Engine mounts, Stasis Motorsport Ohlins suspension, Brembo 18z BBK, VW Phaeton brake ducts, Red optima battery, Recaro Speed seats, Militek Catless DPs, Fast Intentions exhaust

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by M0ve0ver View Post
    so this may be a dumb question, but how much fuel is in the tank?
    Not a dumb question at all. My car has left me stranded three times in the middle of nowhere do to a faulty fuel level sender.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

AZ Member #

Not at all! But there is full tank in there.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsb6s4 View Post
    can you get someone to assist with a rolling start and pop the clutch?
    That's my plan for tomorrow morning. I'll let you know, but the mobile mechanic that came by said that probably wouldn't work which is why I haven't tried it yet.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by prudenteda View Post
    That's my plan for tomorrow morning. I'll let you know, but the mobile mechanic that came by said that probably wouldn't work which is why I haven't tried it yet.
    If there s a problem with fuel delivery or spark, it won't work. You could roll it at 100 mph and it would do nothing beneficial but blow your hair around and help you not hate your car for 20 seconds; until it rolls to a stop. (My Silvia did this to me. A 65mph roll start did nothing for a failed ECM lol)

It almost sounds flooded.

So basically you need to start at square 1. Back to the basics. Fuel, Air, Spark, Timing, Exhaust, Compression. More notably called FASTEC in the diagnostic world. I'd strongly encourage you to watch a couple YouTube videos made by 2 mechanics. Scannerdanner and Schrodringers box. Both have extremely well laid out videos about using fastec to diagnose a non-starting car.
    They will show you how to use different sensors like map sensor or O2 sensors in the diagnostic process.
    And most of the time, it doesn't take long to figure it out.

1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

AZ Member #

Thank you so much, will do! And thank you for saving me the frustration of just blowing my hair in the wind.

AZ Member #

Lol. Not saying it won't work. If it's flooded, it would help clear the cylinders out. I just think attacking it through diagnostics is a better choice.
    Unless you are Trump. And you want your "hair" blowing in the wind. :D

My build log