Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings Dorny1's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Audi A4

Going stage 2...Which to go for crank or supercharger pulley

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I'm finally getting to stage 2, I'm not totally concerned against price but I'm curious to which would be better overall. I know that there are instances of the crank pulley failing and mine is over 100k mi now.

So tell me is there any benefit to one or the other besides the additional cost for the pulley itself?
    2010 Audi S4 GIAC Stage I, H&R Sport springs/Koni Yellows, USP Intake, AWE Track exhaust.
    (SOLD) 2001.5 Audi S4 Stage III

"I love my mullet exhaust...Quiet in the front, Loud in the back"

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4, Orange B5 Avant

Crank. Eliminates a part that will fail and easier install.
    2011 S4 6mt Black/ Magma/ Carbon
    HRE ff01 | Rotiform ind-t | AWE Touring | P3 | Roc Euro | PLM | Eurocode Sways | Apr Stage 2 | H&R Sport | Q5 ECS Wave F/R | CR15 | AK | Eurocode Inserts | 034 subframe Inserts | Ecs Carbon Diffuser | JHM CP | ECS Short Shifter |

Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    997S; Camaro SS; e30 BMW, Toyota FJ

Its on sale. This is what I would do

https://www.moddedeuros.com/products...cts-hw-266-187

2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK
    11.482 at 118.70mph - 97 octane - +465DA
    --------------------------
    2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

Veteran Member Three Rings toastsauce's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tar View Post
    This. Plus it's a slightly higher ratio

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2014 Audi S5 3.0T Prestige | Black Optics | Sports Diff
    APR Stage 2 ECU | 034 TCU | Roc Euro CAI | B12 Pro Kit | 034 Rear Sway + Links | 034 Motor Mounts | JHM Test Pipes
    EC Alu Kruez | CR-15 | EC T&B Diff & Trans Mounts | USP SS Brake Lines | EBC Yellow Stuff Pad | BP Slotted & Drilled Rotors

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

ahhhh, both dual pulley even better.
    2013 S4 monsoon gray. EPL DP (fluidampr 183). Milltek exhaust, rotiform wheels, KW variant 1 coilovers, PLM HE, 034 alu kruez, 034 motormounts, trans, diff mounts. solowerks rear swaybar, CR-15 brace, roc-euro intake, rs grille etc. And 2 Land Cruisers

Established Member Two Rings spoolin80's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Crank pulley...just did mine and wasn't too bad, putting the car into service position wasn't too hard either.
    2012 Ice Silver S4 - CW Stage 2 - JHM 179 - HR OE Springs - Roc-Euro Intake

Established Member Three Rings Ford Prefect's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Silver S4, Mercedes Benz R350 ('07 & '11), Suzuki SV1000

Iíll explain it another way. The SC is a pain in the ass. There is a 30 min crank pulley replacement thread on here somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings theweebabyseamus's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    Iíll explain it another way. The SC is a pain in the ass. There is a 30 min crank pulley replacement thread on here somewhere.

Only for 8.5ís doh...

Veteran Member Four Rings blackfunk's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by theweebabyseamus View Post
    Only for 8.5ís doh...
    Why would it be for 8.5 only?

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...r-2-in-a-jiffy
    Life has taught me never try to make something idiot proof, they'll simply come up with a better idiot.

Senior Member Four Rings Poodini's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited

I went with Fluidampr and itís been rock solid since going K04-R!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings spoolin80's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by blackfunk View Post
    Yep the install is just the same for the b8...just have to go to service position

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Dorny1 View Post
    So I'm finally getting to stage 2, I'm not totally concerned against price but I'm curious to which would be better overall. I know that there are instances of the crank pulley failing and mine is over 100k mi now.

So tell me is there any benefit to one or the other besides the additional cost for the pulley itself?
    There have been several cases of OE crank pulley failure at less than 100k.
    2015 monsoon grey S5 sportback (yes the one with 4 doors)
    - MRC stage 2 (189mm Vdamper/Fluidampr crank pulley)

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Crank pulley also has lower likelihood of toaster oven press for alignment issues per the 30 min install thread

Veteran Member Four Rings Acejam's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post

It confuses me when folks say the SC is such a pain. Are you guys attempting this without the correct tools?

Unless you have tiny hands, it's nearly impossible to install the crank pulley without going into service position. Go into service position, pull off both pulleys using the proper tools. Once you've done it, removing both pulleys should take no more than 45 minutes to an hour.

After that, crank pulley goes on easy. Heat the supercharger pulley for 1 hour @ 450 with an oven next to the front of the car and use a can of compressed air upside down to freeze the snout the supercharger pulley slides on to. If you don't have an oven that close, don't attempt this. Or use a torch. Install the belt back on once and enjoy.

While you're at it, take your time and install a larger heat exchanger too. The OEM one is tiny. Spend the 2-5 hours it takes to install all of this yourself on a nice afternoon, get to know your car's engine bay a bit better, and easily save $300-800 in install costs.
    2014 Brilliant Black S4
    DSG / Prestige / Black Optics / Sport Diff / B&O / Carbon Atlas Inlays / Magma Leather
    Modifications: APR Stage 2 Dual Pulley + TCU, JHM 187mm Crank Pulley, APR CPS, AWE Touring Exhaust (90mm Silver), ECS 10mm/12.5mm Spacers, 034 Mount Inserts, Hawk HPS 5.0, Rotors w/ PSS (Summer), Peelers w/ LM-32's (Winter)

Established Member Two Rings street2gen's Avatar
    AZ Member #

stage 2+ on crank pulley and leave the supercharger, the 30 min diy is for a b8.5 as they do not have to go into service position b8s do. Regardless service position is not difficult, it will be the easiest part of the whole thing which in turn makes everything easier. even with a b8.5 i would go into service position.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998 Audi a4 1.8t, 2012 Volkswagen GTI
    Items for Sale

I was considering going APR stage 2 with the super charger pulley. Is there a difference in power between the two? Looks like most say to do the crank pulley only because of OEM crank failure with the SC pulley.
    2014 phantom black s4//Roc-Euro Intake//AWE touring with non-res downpipes//

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Audi A4

I'm not quite ready for dual pulley. Have a small bonus coming in and i'm still on what I believe is the original clutch...Going JHM 3R with LFW and thats going to eat up most my budget, along with test pipes, and mercracing hx. I daily so cooling and making sure everything is done in order is kind of key to keeping it on the road :D

I'm thinking crank pulley it is. the CTS pulley was what I was looking at, and that very small higher ratio might be nice.
    2010 Audi S4 GIAC Stage I, H&R Sport springs/Koni Yellows, USP Intake, AWE Track exhaust.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dlo93 View Post
    I was considering going APR stage 2 with the super charger pulley. Is there a difference in power between the two? Looks like most say to do the crank pulley only because of OEM crank failure with the SC pulley.
    i would think yes... considering there are more size options with the crank, but im not sure how a apr stage 2 would react to a different then "normal" size. A cts supercharger gives you a ratio of 2.844 but a 183 crank gives you 2.893 so close but i would think at a 187 and 2.957 it would make more power depending if the tune plays nice... i know epl will "custom" work with your setup.
    but honestly at this point i would go stage2+ and go even bigger crank and add cooling.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Dorny1 View Post
    I'm thinking crank pulley it is. the CTS pulley was what I was looking at, and that very small higher ratio might be nice.
    Lol thats exactly what i was just looking at too.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Do since you have everything opened up

Sent from my SM-N950U using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    eS-4

So the biggest crank to run is a 192. And that equals stage2.
    If I want more than stage 2, I want to run any of the other smaller cranks + a SC pulley?

Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    997S; Camaro SS; e30 BMW, Toyota FJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh.S4 View Post
    If I want more than stage 2, I want to run any of the other smaller cranks + a SC pulley?
    a 179-181 crank pulley equals most tuners "stage 2" that uses a ~57mm SC pulley but nothing wrong with going bigger.

Mike

2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK
    11.482 at 118.70mph - 97 octane - +465DA
    --------------------------
    2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tar View Post
    This! I did a 187 lower and am very happy!
    2012 B8 S4 DSG Sport diff. APR Stage 2 V4.0, APR TCU tune, JHM 187 lower pulley, Modded air box, silicone tube, CR-15.

Established Member Three Rings Ford Prefect's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Silver S4, Mercedes Benz R350 ('07 & '11), Suzuki SV1000

Quote Originally Posted by Acejam View Post
    It confuses me when folks say the SC is such a pain. Are you guys attempting this without the correct tools?

Unless you have tiny hands, it's nearly impossible to install the crank pulley without going into service position. Go into service position, pull off both pulleys using the proper tools. Once you've done it, removing both pulleys should take no more than 45 minutes to an hour.

After that, crank pulley goes on easy. Heat the supercharger pulley for 1 hour @ 450 with an oven next to the front of the car and use a can of compressed air upside down to freeze the snout the supercharger pulley slides on to. If you don't have an oven that close, don't attempt this. Or use a torch. Install the belt back on once and enjoy.

While you're at it, take your time and install a larger heat exchanger too. The OEM one is tiny. Spend the 2-5 hours it takes to install all of this yourself on a nice afternoon, get to know your car's engine bay a bit better, and easily save $300-800 in install costs.
    I said that because it is. I had the proper tools, was even on a lift. Regardless of instructions it took three times to get it on the right way (fully). The SC pulley doesnít fail either.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Audi A4

I'm decided going crank pulley with GIAC stage 2 file. I'll get my cooling done and next year i'll probably grab a spare supercharger from the wreckers in town (starting to stock pile 3.0T's) and have it ported and rebuilt before I go to dual pulley.

Only reason I'm not going dual pulley is the additional cost and the other parts that i believe as required. Also kind of hoping for a couple of these parts in the works finally come out. (supercharger intercoolers, bigger supercharger that is actually efficient)

Senior Member Three Rings importraceram's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05.5 S4 (sold)

I run a 196.5mm XLR8 with APR's stage 2 software. It's a 3.1 ratio. Car pulls very strong, I trapped 110.93 in ~400ish DA's on 93. I still haven't logged to see the issue (I believe a 3.1 ratio should trap higher than 110.93 in good conditions). I like the setup however. I'm excited to log, dyno, and see "what's what". In hindsight, I have a feeling of "I wish I actually ran APR's recommended dual pulley set up" but I have a feeling when everything is ironed out this set up will be near as fast.
    Current: 2010 Meteor Gray S4 6MT- APR Stage 2, XLR8 196.5mm Crank Pulley, MercRacing HX, CTS Intake

Past: B7 S4, B8.5 S4, B7 RS4

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    eS-4

so basically... stay away from 192. k thanks. (189 maybe too. for me at least... ill have access to get custom tunes in a bit as well so I think I have more room to play)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4, Orange B5 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh.S4 View Post
    No. I told you all of this a week or 2 ago.
    2011 S4 6mt Black/ Magma/ Carbon
    HRE ff01 | Rotiform ind-t | AWE Touring | P3 | Roc Euro | PLM | Eurocode Sways | Apr Stage 2 | H&R Sport | Q5 ECS Wave F/R | CR15 | AK | Eurocode Inserts | 034 subframe Inserts | Ecs Carbon Diffuser | JHM CP | ECS Short Shifter |

Veteran Member Four Rings theweebabyseamus's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by importraceram View Post
    I run a 196.5mm XLR8 with APR's stage 2 software. It's a 3.1 ratio. Car pulls very strong, I trapped 110.93 in ~400ish DA's on 93. I still haven't logged to see the issue (I believe a 3.1 ratio should trap higher than 110.93 in good conditions). I like the setup however. I'm excited to log, dyno, and see "what's what". In hindsight, I have a feeling of "I wish I actually ran APR's recommended dual pulley set up" but I have a feeling when everything is ironed out this set up will be near as fast.
    Seems like a really low trap speed. I ran 109 on stage 1 in similar DAs on a 91 tune.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by street2gen View Post
    i would think yes... considering there are more size options with the crank, but im not sure how a apr stage 2 would react to a different then "normal" size.
    If your running the APR Stage 2 tune v4.0 or higher it doesn't matter what pulley ratio you have. Their latest tune has a maximum set boost and is based of their 187 crank and 57.75 supercharger pulley. You can run any ratio up to that and a little more and the tune will work just fine.
    I started with the 187 lower first so it has a bit more power than the blower pulley alone. Love it! Zero complaints after 15K miles. Will upgrade to the blower pulley after I install test pipes and upgraded cooling.
    2012 B8 S4 DSG Sport diff. APR Stage 2 V4.0, APR TCU tune, JHM 187 lower pulley, Modded air box, silicone tube, CR-15.