Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

The Daytona twins RS4 build thread

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Some of you will have already seen some talk of this or even spoken with me about parts, but I figured it would be cool to have a thread to track my progress on as well as share with the rest of the RS4 Community.

A little about myself, I've been a VAG enthusiast for a very long time now with a long list of previous cars that I have modified and enjoyed to the fullest. Like many in this forum I tend towards looking for the lower mileage, 1 owner example cars that really exemplify enthusiast ownership, but for this build I decided to go a different direction. I decided to see if I could do a somewhat budget RS4 build and still come out of it with something I can drive and enjoy.

Fast forward to March of this year, another RS4 member here sent me along an ad from Denver craigslist for a couple of Daytona grey RS4's that had been wrecked that were for sale. One had a small hit on the front while the other was hit in the rear. The cars had almost identical mileage and mirror option lists, hence we started calling them the twins. I spoke with the owner and was given the story of how he ended up with 2 identical cars. Long story short his original plan involved buying one car as he was going to have the driveline swapped into his B7 S4 avant. Right after he bought the first wreck he rolled his S4 coming back from Aspen, the avant was a write off so he secured a second RS4 with the thought of making 1 from 2. He quickly lost interest as he is an older gentleman with means and decided if he wanted an RS4 that bad he would just buy one.

A deal was struck and after some paperwork issues that needed to be dealt with I decided to drive down and pick up the cars and bring them back to Canada myself. My wife and I hopped into the truck and headed down to meet up with the owner and grab the cars and make the long trek back to Canada with them.

So the plan was to part one of the cars out and rebuild one of the other cars with the parts from the other. I will let some of the pictures do the talking now and update this as I go.

My 18 foot car trailer was not going to cut it, but the best I could find locally was a 28 foot ball hitch trailer. It wasn't the 34 foot gooseneck I wanted, but it would have to do. Should be interesting getting two cars 15 feet long on a 28 foot trailer.

Lets roll, only 21.5 hours of driving left to go

A few stops in BFN over a couple days and much of it looked the same

Finally arrived in Colorado and it was time to load up

It was a tight squeeze but we made them fit

Unfortunately because of the length restrictions I had to put a lot more weight on the tongue than I wanted to, but all things considered the truck did well all the way home.

Made a lot of stops for fuel on the way back

But after 49 hours of driving over 3.5 days we made it home with the twins.

How the car looked once I unloaded it into the driveway

This is currently how the car sits

So up next the engine will come out and be refreshed and the car will make its way to the body shop for repairs. I have been collecting parts for it as well as taking parts off the donor car so I'm fairly certain all the parts needed have been either bought or secured now. Once I make more steps with the process I will update the thread more.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Sub'd. Two DG RS4s on a trailer certainly would have caught my eye.
    2018 RS3
    2015 B8.5 S4
    2011 B8 S4
    2010 A4 Avant
    2007 RS4 (Phantom Black)
    2007 RS4 (Misano Red)
    2013 RS5 - sold

Veteran Member Four Rings CoreyRS's Avatar
    AZ Member #

LOL, I would have been honking and waving ferociously if I saw you on the road with that haul!

Nice buys and welcome!

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Also sub'd.
    2007 Audi RS4
    2004 Audi Allroad 2.7t
    2007 Yamaha Vino 125

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyRS View Post
    LOL, I would have been honking and waving ferociously if I saw you on the road with that haul!

Nice buys and welcome!
    I had quite a few people stop and do a double take at fuel stations and restaurants. Most of them came up and asked how I was able to have two identical RS4's on my trailer and what was the plan for them.

Even both the US border guard as well as the Canadian one were Audi enthusiasts and wants to chat about them and share stories.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Wow, hope to see both revived and running. Whats the rough plan for them 1 DD and 1 race?

Established Member Two Rings AA 954's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 RS4, Mk5 R32, Mk6 GTI, Mk2 Tiguan & Mk7 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by Kambesama View Post
    Wow, hope to see both revived and running. Whats the rough plan for them 1 DD and 1 race?
    OP has broken up one of the cars to use as parts for the other. He is also selling everything else he doesnít need so eventually only one will be fully revived... and perhaps one of the engines that he has for sale, etc. can revive another enthusiasts vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, I like VW's lol

AZ Member #

Simply awesome!! Good luck on the rebuild OP!
    Jeremy Clarkson: "So when you were saying that it wonít slide, what you meant was, ĎI canít slide it.íď
    James May: "Yes."

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kambesama View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AA 954 View Post
    OP has broken up one of the cars to use as parts for the other. He is also selling everything else he doesnít need so eventually only one will be fully revived... and perhaps one of the engines that he has for sale, etc. can revive another enthusiasts vehicle
    AA954 is correct, only one car will live on through this project unfortunately. I've had a few close friends trying to convince me to make the rear hit car into an RS4 Ute. It would be 1 of 1 I'm sure, but not sure I need an RS4 Ute in my driveway....haha

Veteran Member Four Rings b6bydesign04's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by germanstyle View Post
    AA954 is correct, only one car will live on through this project unfortunately. I've had a few close friends trying to convince me to make the rear hit car into an RS4 Ute. It would be 1 of 1 I'm sure, but not sure I need an RS4 Ute in my driveway....haha
    Ha, that would be awesome, I wonder how much of the B6/B7 Smyth kit (https://www.smythkitcars.com/audi-a4-s4-ute) would be applicable for the RS4. Either way, good luck with the build(s)!
    -Sean
    2008 RS4 | Suzuka Gray/Exclusive Interior | Ti | KW| Milltek | Apikol | 034

F.T.W.L.T.B.D.W.I.C.T.W.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1995 Corrado / 2004 R32

Quote Originally Posted by b6bydesign04 View Post
    Ha, that would be awesome, I wonder how much of the B6/B7 Smyth kit (https://www.smythkitcars.com/audi-a4-s4-ute) would be applicable for the RS4. Either way, good luck with the build(s)!
    haha! I am one of the friends that has been pressuring him on the ute kit and that Smyth kit is the exact link we sent to him. But he ain't biting! I think that would be such a cool project and practical as well! Not only can you haul ass as per usual, but also lumber and sheets of plywood and furniture for your friends.

Established Member Two Rings AA 954's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 RS4, Mk5 R32, Mk6 GTI, Mk2 Tiguan & Mk7 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by Marky G View Post
    haha! I am one of the friends that has been pressuring him on the ute kit and that Smyth kit is the exact link we sent to him. But he ain't biting! I think that would be such a cool project and practical as well! Not only can you haul ass as per usual, but also lumber and sheets of plywood and furniture for your friends.
    Agree lol, quite unique

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, I like VW's lol

Senior Member Two Rings thomasskull666's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Glad to see my baby not in a cube. The rear end damaged one was mine, miss that car every day. Can't wait to see them running!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2007 Daytona Grey RS4

AZ Member #

Made some more progress throughout this week.

One evening took the time to start unbolting a few things to prep for the engine to be pulled

The second night was fairly easy, just undoing a lot of small items in prep for the motor to come out and out it came.

So with the motor now out I will move onto clean up and prep for the car to head to the body shop. Once the car is ready to go I will move onto refreshing the motor while it's out of the car. Tranny will be removed and clutch checked, intake mani will come off to see if and when a carbon clean was done, as many seals as possible will be replace while it's out as well. If anyone has any items that should be addressed while access is easy feel free to let me know, may as well do as much as I can while everything is easy to get to.

Active Member Two Rings bendilzerian's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Glad to see that this build is just starting so I can watch her all the way through. Sub'd for sure!

Established Member Two Rings borisf's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Imola Yellow RS4

Quote Originally Posted by germanstyle View Post
    Made some more progress throughout this week.

One evening took the time to start unbolting a few things to prep for the engine to be pulled

The second night was fairly easy, just undoing a lot of small items in prep for the motor to come out and out it came.
    \\
    Looks like something I will be doing with my FD Rx7 (one parts car, one build car) for the time being.

What is that Blue accordion looking thing in the driver side fenderwell??
    07 RS4
    93 RX7
    18 Tiguan MQB

Active Member One Ring TwinSnail's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 a4 2.7t; 07 RS4; 3rd gen z28; snake gts

Quote Originally Posted by borisf View Post

What is that Blue accordion looking thing in the driver side fenderwell??
    Vacuum Canister

AZ Member #

Thought I would update this thread with some good news and some bad news. The bad news first, the front hit car I was looking to repair and bring back to whole started to add up entirely too much. The front frame rails were going to need to be fully replaced now as pulling was not going to get the job done, this basically doubled the repair costs. This made me start questioning if it was worth finishing the car as I would be into it for more than I felt it was worth to me. So with this bad news in mind I closed the garage and went on holidays with the family.

Now to the good news. With my thoughts swirling about what direction to take the grey car I was searching some local classifieds and came across a very fresh Avus Silver example that was only about 30 mins away from where I was vacationing. After a few emails inquiring and a quick drive over to look and take it for a drive the car was too nice to pass up. The Avus car was a 2 owner, no decs, west coast car that had been meticulously looked after with low miles, I couldn't turn it down. So I brought a new car home from holidays and my wife brought home a few bottles of wine, I think she feels like I got the better of the deal.

So with that being said I will be posting up a new revised thread for parting out both of the Daytona Grey cars in the next few days when I have a chance. The Avus needs to grab it's place in the garage but these cars need to be parted out first.

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Crap. That sucks. Good score tho

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

AZ Member #

Being a Bodyshop owner this is sad to see these cars parting out. Both are very repairable. The front end hit car most have been hammered just right. The frame rails on these cars are no joke. Can you post some pictures of the rear end hit?
    MK6 Golf R, Q3, B8.5 A4, U251

Veteran Member Four Rings Pilfer's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Think youíll have front seats for sale? Black leather.
    Mk 7 R