Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Two Rings Stuart@VelocityAP's Avatar
    AZ Member #

VelocityAP B8 S5 3.0T Exhaust Development

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi Everyone,

You've probably see our V8 RS5 tunes & exhaust systems popping up here. We have some announcements coming up pretty soon regarding our tuning options for the 3.0T engine platform as well.

For the last week we have had an S5 in the shop for exhaust development, and are currently working on a few design configurations. We are trying to do some pretty unique things here to bring a product to market that is substantially different to some of the existing options. More info to follow!

Stuart Dickinson
    Managing Director
    Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
    2384 Government Street
    Penticton, BC
    Canada V2A 4W6

Office: (1)236-422-3341
    Mobile: (1)-250-460-1775
    www.velocityap.com

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Nice, love to see such development
    . What are you thinking timeline wise and what type of exhaust note are you expecting to produce(super loud, muted etc.) Are there any brands you think the note would he similar to?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by S5Toks View Post
    Nice, love to see such development
    . What are you thinking timeline wise and what type of exhaust note are you expecting to produce(super loud, muted etc.) Are there any brands you think the note would he similar to?
    For this initial system, we are going for probably middle of the road on volume, but we are working at introducing a double, possibly triple XPipe setup to try and smooth out the V6 Drone as much as possible, and get as close to a V8 sound as possible.

For future systems we can make them louder than this by deleting the 2x2 silencer and/or using louder rear mufflers.
    Stuart Dickinson
    Managing Director
    2384 Government Street
    Penticton, BC
    Canada V2A 4W6

www.velocityap.com

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 GL450

Nice!

Will definitely be watching this thread as I was considering an exhaust soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2016 S5 6MT - Brilliant Black, P+, High Gloss Black, Sport Dif, B&O, Tech, Nappa
    Current: H&R Street Performance Coilovers, H&R Spacers 15/20, OEM RS5 Grill, CQ's Finest, 35% Pinnacle Tint

AZ Member #

Likewise. I wanted an AWE touring system.

Still waiting the hear the timeline on this one.

Veteran Member Four Rings Beast's Avatar
    AZ Member #

looking forward to hearing this one!
    Past: 2015 Audi []RS5 | 2012 Audi A5

IG @RS5z

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 GL450

Since the B8 didnít have the 3.0T, Iím assuming this is for the B8.5?

2016 S5 6MT - Brilliant Black, P+, High Gloss Black, Sport Dif, B&O, Tech, Nappa
    Current: H&R Street Performance Coilovers, H&R Spacers 15/20, OEM RS5 Grill, CQ's Finest, 35% Pinnacle Tint

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RVJ View Post
    Since the B8 didnít have the 3.0T, Iím assuming this is for the B8.5?

Sure!
    Stuart Dickinson
    Managing Director
    2384 Government Street
    Penticton, BC
    Canada V2A 4W6

www.velocityap.com

AZ Member #

I like how the X pipe is in front of the car. Like the Corsa and Milltek systems! Nice work! I look forward to seeing the final product.

Does this system also include the down pipe?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by peterpark0 View Post
    I like how the X pipe is in front of the car. Like the Corsa and Milltek systems! Nice work! I look forward to seeing the final product.

Does this system also include the down pipe?
    We are actually putting 3 Xpipes in! On the production version we are considering fitting 2 Xpipes in the front section and just 1 in the rear.

We are developing both the downpipe section, and the rear section, and in a way that they are OEM interchangeable, meaning you could do either one on it's own, or both at the same time. Or... if you already have an aftermarket exhaust and want downpipes for example, again it will be interchangeable.

Stuart Dickinson
    Managing Director
    2384 Government Street
    Penticton, BC
    Canada V2A 4W6

www.velocityap.com

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP View Post
    We are actually putting 3 Xpipes in! On the production version we are considering fitting 2 Xpipes in the front section and just 1 in the rear.

We are developing both the downpipe section, and the rear section, and in a way that they are OEM interchangeable, meaning you could do either one on it's own, or both at the same time. Or... if you already have an aftermarket exhaust and want downpipes for example, again it will be interchangeable.

Good call on interchangeable.

AZ Member #

Good call on interchangeable.
    It worked really well for us so far on the RS5 exhaust (which is pretty similar to this.) Some people have ordered the whole thing. Some already had another brand of downpipes and put our exhaust section on.

Some already had an exhaust and put our downpipes on. Just opens up a lot of possibilities.
    Stuart Dickinson
    Managing Director
    2384 Government Street
    Penticton, BC
    Canada V2A 4W6

www.velocityap.com

Active Member One Ring whiningS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Looks like I need to wait on getting a new exhaust
    2013 S5 | Monsoon Grey | Stock for now

AZ Member #

It worked really well for us so far on the RS5 exhaust (which is pretty similar to this.) Some people have ordered the whole thing. Some already had another brand of downpipes and put our exhaust section on.

Some already had an exhaust and put our downpipes on. Just opens up a lot of possibilities.
    Nice. When are you thinking you will have something available, or at least a clip we can hear?

AZ Member #

Nice. When are you thinking you will have something available, or at least a clip we can hear?
    We should be finished with this prototype Monday. A lot of the Jigging is done. Will get some sound clips off that.

We may tweak the design a little once going into production. Probably be 2 or 3 weeks later we will start buulding some orders.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 GL450

We should be finished with this prototype Monday. A lot of the Jigging is done. Will get some sound clips off that.

We may tweak the design a little once going into production. Probably be 2 or 3 weeks later we will start buulding some orders.
    Excellent! When you do the clips can you post some of inside as well? I trying to balance the inside noise levels. Itís fine if itís loud when I jump on it but when Iím cruising and on a call I want to make sure itís not too overpowering.

AZ Member #

Awesome news. We'll be here
    Excellent! When you do the clips can you post some of inside as well? I trying to balance the inside noise levels. Itís fine if itís loud when I jump on it but when Iím cruising and on a call I want to make sure itís not too overpowering.

+1. This guy gets it.

AZ Member #

VelocityAP B8 S5 3.0T Exhaust Development

This is great, more options for my 2014 S5..!!
    Although I just picked up a set of AWE resonated downpipes which I havenít installed yet.
    Thatís what Iím looking for as far as sound, mellow when cruising but beast when stomped on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Sizing up some tip options.
    Stuart Dickinson
    Managing Director
    2384 Government Street
    Penticton, BC
    Canada V2A 4W6

www.velocityap.com

AZ Member #

Awesome news. We'll be here+1. This guy gets it.
    Same here. Can't wait to hear and see what you guys come up with

Sent from my SM-N910V using Audizine mobile app

Veteran Member Three Rings Jester2893's Avatar
    AZ Member #

1. Why didnít you consider having a resonator or muffler up closer to the downpipes to help mitigate some of the drone when going with the test pipes.
    2. Are you going to have multiple tip size options

This seems to have some potential, but unfortunately I am no longer willing to buy a prebuilt setup without test pipe test results as it seems every prebuilt system falls short in that regard..

Hopefully you prove me wrong !

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2893 View Post
    1. Why didnít you consider having a resonator or muffler up closer to the downpipes to help mitigate some of the drone when going with the test pipes.
    Because we wanted to fit 3 Xpipes in, to experiment with that setup. Firstly, having that one Xpipe as close to the engine as possible is going to create the best scavenging affect, and the greatest chance for picking up torque. We believe the XPipes are going to to more to mitigate drone than the resonator, however we still do have a 2 x 2 'resonator' further back.

2. Are you going to have multiple tip size options
    It is a possibility. We've selected something that fills the cut-out nicely, without being oversized. We use a variety of tip suppliers so some other options are possible, but chopping & changing tips can affect the alignment, and may not necessarily fit in the fixture we create to center the tips.

This seems to have some potential, but unfortunately I am no longer willing to buy a prebuilt setup without test pipe test results as it seems every prebuilt system falls short in that regard..

Hopefully you prove me wrong !
    What is a 'test pipe test result'? Sorry, just not sure what you're referring to... are you talking about dyno results for power gain? Or sound clips?
    Stuart Dickinson
    Managing Director
    2384 Government Street
    Penticton, BC
    Canada V2A 4W6

www.velocityap.com

AZ Member #

Because we wanted to fit 3 Xpipes in, to experiment with that setup. Firstly, having that one Xpipe as close to the engine as possible is going to create the best scavenging affect, and the greatest chance for picking up torque. We believe the XPipes are going to to more to mitigate drone than the resonator, however we still do have a 2 x 2 'resonator' further back.

It is a possibility. We've selected something that fills the cut-out nicely, without being oversized. We use a variety of tip suppliers so some other options are possible, but chopping & changing tips can affect the alignment, and may not necessarily fit in the fixture we create to center the tips.

What is a 'test pipe test result'? Sorry, just not sure what you're referring to... are you talking about dyno results for power gain? Or sound clips?
    I do like the idea of the three x-pipes, but if you head over to the B8 S4 forum you will notice traditional x pipes are not dealing with the rasp on this platform as effective as other platforms. I am sure off the shelf this exhaust will sounds great, but when you delete the cats with ďtest pipesĒ the exhaust note is once again changed completely. When I refer to test pipe tests, I would like to see this exhaust on a car with test pipes ďcat deletesĒ as people who are taking this platform past stage 2 will need to be running test pipes. From my own research and many others it seems a resonated x pipe in the downpipes into another x pipe and into two mufflers out the back is giving great results with test pipes.

**I not saying this wonít sound good or you arenít putting the research in, but I am saying there are a lot of variables and people have done some of the leg work already**

If you want to build me a system at cost I would happily instal with test pipes to give you feedback and improvement points : ).

AZ Member #

I do like the idea of the three x-pipes, but if you head over to the B8 S4 forum you will notice traditional x pipes are not dealing with the rasp on this platform as effective as other platforms. I am sure off the shelf this exhaust will sounds great, but when you delete the cats with ďtest pipesĒ the exhaust note is once again changed completely. When I refer to test pipe tests, I would like to see this exhaust on a car with test pipes ďcat deletesĒ as people who are taking this platform past stage 2 will need to be running test pipes. From my own research and many others it seems a resonated x pipe in the downpipes into another x pipe and into two mufflers out the back is giving great results with test pipes.
    So, Chris actually has a B8 S4 with the 3.0T engine and we already experimented with some stuff. You're correct that one Xpipe with no resonator would create too much unpleasant sound, as that's something he experimented with. You're also correct that putting a 2x2 muffler into the system will minimize that unpleasant drone at certain RPM. Placing that 2x2 muffler in the downpipe section, versus 24" further back where we have located it isn't going to make any difference.

What we have built so far is pretty much the same as you're describing, except we have 3 Xpipes, as opposed to 2. And this system we are building is valved.
    Stuart Dickinson
    Managing Director
    2384 Government Street
    Penticton, BC
    Canada V2A 4W6

www.velocityap.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 GL450

The more info I see in the thread, the more excited I am to hear what this sounds like.

When I got the B8.5 S5, I liked that there was a lot of room to tune but really miss the aggressive sound that can be produced by a V8.

AZ Member #

Looking good!
    Sounding......?

Can't wait to hear a clip.

AZ Member #

All finished. Parts are coming off for final jigging. We should be starting the car up tomorrow.

As stated, may adjust the XPipes and have 2 front & 1 rear in production but we'll have to see what's possible.

Stuart Dickinson
    Managing Director
    2384 Government Street
    Penticton, BC
    Canada V2A 4W6

www.velocityap.com

AZ Member #

The fabrication alone looks expensive, but I really am excited to hear this system (despite my criticism). I currently run a self modified exhaust frankly because no one has offered a comprehensive system in my honest opinion. If this fits the bill and sounds good with test pipes it very well might be the answer I (and many others) are after for this platform.

AZ Member #

The fabrication alone looks expensive, but I really am excited to hear this system (despite my criticism). I currently run a self modified exhaust frankly because no one has offered a comprehensive system in my honest opinion. If this fits the bill and sounds good with test pipes it very well might be the answer I (and many others) are after for this platform.

Thanks, we are excited too. This system should be comparable in price to our RS5 valved system $995 for downpipes, $2395 for the exhaust), + the cost of a valve controller, or if made as a non-valved it will be similar to the RS5 non-valved ($1795)
    Stuart Dickinson
    Managing Director
    2384 Government Street
    Penticton, BC
    Canada V2A 4W6

www.velocityap.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 GL450

Thanks, we are excited too. This system should be comparable in price to our RS5 valved system $995 for downpipes, $2395 for the exhaust), + the cost of a valve controller, or if made as a non-valved it will be similar to the RS5 non-valved ($1795)
    Curious as to how the valves actuate since this platform didnít have the feature. Sounds like an interesting option though.

AZ Member #

Curious as to how the valves actuate since this platform didnít have the feature. Sounds like an interesting option though.

The valves by default are in the 'open' position. They are actuated & pulled closed by 1 bar vacuum. We have remote control kits that have vacuum line, a solenoid with a harness to connect to a wireless receiver. The solenoid is then controlled by wireless remote. You need to 'T' into a vacuum line just in front of the throttle body, and the wireless unit requires a ground (easy) and a key-on power source (like a DRL or something similar.)
    Stuart Dickinson
    Managing Director
    2384 Government Street
    Penticton, BC
    Canada V2A 4W6

www.velocityap.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 GL450

The valves by default are in the 'open' position. They are actuated & pulled closed by 1 bar vacuum. We have remote control kits that have vacuum line, a solenoid with a harness to connect to a wireless receiver. The solenoid is then controlled by wireless remote. You need to 'T' into a vacuum line just in front of the throttle body, and the wireless unit requires a ground (easy) and a key-on power source (like a DRL or something similar.)
    Nice!

AZ Member #

Well, prototype is done. Very happy with how this turned out. I had never heard a double XPipe setup in person, let alone a triple. It sounds really nice. Incredibly smooth, absolutely Zero raspiness. There's a small RPM range where you can hear a little bit of drone but it's by far the least drony V6 exhaust I've ever heard, especially given the increase in volume.

At idle, it has a very deep, thick sound. Really does sound much more like a V8, although not entirely so. We have the valve control system all hooked up, but looks like the engine vacuum line isn't generating enough (needs 1 bar) to close the valves. We ran out of time with the customer needing to pick up the car, will be back in a week or two and we can hook up to a brake booster or something that's running off a vacuum pump.

So for now all the videos are with the valves open. You can imagine closed will sound a fair bit more muted. When the car comes back to reconfigure the vacuum lines we'll get some 'closed' video and maybe a little more comprehensive driving stuff too.

Fly-By:

With the windows up at the beginning and dropped towards the end:

And a little outside (sorry about the wind)
    Stuart Dickinson
    Managing Director
    2384 Government Street
    Penticton, BC
    Canada V2A 4W6

www.velocityap.com