Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

2011 A4 2.0T Premium Plus Manual 75K miles

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello,

New member here from Chicago. Im looking to buy a used 2011 A4 2.0T manual with an air intake and down pipe installed professionally by previous owner. Vehicle is now for sale at an Aston Martin dealership. Vehicle seems to be in a very pristine condition. I took it for a test drive and it feels solid with tons of torque. Ive been doing some research and found out about the infamous oil consumption, timing belt, water pump, and pistons. Any advice from any of you connoisseurs will be greatly appreciated.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Cop22 View Post
    Hello,

New member here from Chicago. Im looking to buy a used 2011 A4 2.0T manual with an air intake and down pipe installed professionally by previous owner. Vehicle is now for sale at an Aston Martin dealership. Vehicle seems to be in a very pristine condition. I took it for a test drive and it feels solid with tons of torque. Ive been doing some research and found out about the infamous oil consumption, timing belt, water pump, and pistons. Any advice from any of you connoisseurs will be greatly appreciated.
    What do they want for it? I think I was bring up the costs to fix the known issues (if they haven't been fixed) and use that as leverage to decrease the offer when you negotiate price.

AZ Member #

Ok I see it's $13800 so I would probably start my offer at $11500 and go up to $12500 at most.

AZ Member #

They want $13k. Looking at the service history of the vehicle on Carfax I can see that back in 2014 it got the crankshaft pulley/balancer replaced, ignition coils replaced, oil performance test performed. In 2016 ignition coils and spark plugs replaced. 2017 engine oil/fluid leak checked, oil consumption test performed. 2018 tires and battery replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

What about the tensioner? Any open recalls? It's all about the negotiation and any leverage you have will help. I would also check surrounded city's / states for similar cars that may be priced lower that you can let the dealer know you're also considering.

I once told a dealer my credit union will only allow me to spend a certain amount so I can't go higher even if I wanted to. That was not the case, but it was a soft way of me saying "take it or leave it".

AZ Member #

They actually are trying to get me to buy it today so they drop the price. My concern however is still all the negative tendencies about this car o keep reading about. No open recalls or anything like that. I checked the VIN on audiusa.com

AZ Member #

They actually are trying to get me to buy it today so they drop the price. My concern however is still all the negative tendencies about this car o keep reading about. No open recalls or anything like that. I checked the VIN on audiusa.com
    Yeah they always want you to BUY NOW and make an impulse by. The issues are not major as long as you have the $ to fix the problems asap before it's too late. Luckily the avant I just got only had 53k miles so I think I can put off the tensioner for a while.

Senior Member Four Rings 19birel's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '13 A4 Prem+, '00 VW Golf GLS

The tensioner isn't necessarily gonna go right away, my family's 2012 A4 is at 100k+ miles and so far *knock on wood, it's fine (although it could probably use replacing at this point). That said I'd have them factor that into the price you have the option to get it done in the near future. Outside of that it sounds like a solid car, if the car had the oil consumption test performed and it passed then you shouldn't be worried on that front. If you have any further concern then I'd recommend having a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) completed by a third party, either an indy shop that specializes in European cars, or an Audi dealership to confirm the car is as advertised.
    Current: Monsoon Grey/Titanium Grey 2013 Audi A4 Premium Plus 6MT Sport BUILD THREAD
    Previous: Light Silver Metallic/Onyx Ambition B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT w/Sport Pkg

AZ Member #

So not a very good start with this car I went and bought it today, after driving 10 miles I get a warning on the dash about low oil pressure and to shut down the engine!! WTF!!! Called the dealer right away and was told to go back and they would give me a loaner while they check it tomorrow. Salesman thinks the mechanic didnít reset the computer when they serviced the vehicle. Any thoughts??

Senior Member Four Rings bakedziti's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '77 MGB Roadster
    Items for Sale

So not a very good start with this car I went and bought it today, after driving 10 miles I get a warning on the dash about low oil pressure and to shut down the engine!! WTF!!! Called the dealer right away and was told to go back and they would give me a loaner while they check it tomorrow. Salesman thinks the mechanic didnít reset the computer when they serviced the vehicle. Any thoughts??

No, I highly doubt this will be related to service. Honestly, it makes me recall when I picked up my Ď11 B8 MT with 77k in January of Ď15, and the low oil - add oil indicator popped up on my way home. That was a 350 mike drive, but the issues that ensued were:

-P0299 - turbo replacement on my dime, AoA refused.
    -stage I & II of the oil consumption was performed and paid for by AoA.
    While the dealer was completing stage II, I had the timing and RMS done and paid for parts only. Turned out to be a waste (see next point)
    -I lost a rod bearing about 24k later and replaced it with an engine from a B8.5 (12 months, 18 days)

Yours could be the oil pick up from the pan or the timing. Honestly, I would be very hesitant to take that back; it may be a good sign to walk. However, if the dealer will fix all of the issues at no cost to you, then it may be worth keeping.

Unrelated items that were replaced in the first year of ownership were:

-Intermediate steering shaft - they bind on the outside universal joint
    -Both front wheel bearings
    -Tires, twice
    2011 A4 P+ QGM | Sport Package | 6MT | MMI | B&O
    GIAC (stage) | Eurocode HFC & Alu Kreuz | Stasis Exhaust | H&R RSB | DV+ | CR-15 | ECS Intercooler w/ Piping & Street Shield | P3

the egyptian prescription

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bakedziti View Post
    No, I highly doubt this will be related to service. Honestly, it makes me recall when I picked up my Ď11 B8 MT with 77k in January of Ď15, and the low oil - add oil indicator popped up on my way home. That was a 350 mike drive, but the issues that ensued were:

-P0299 - turbo replacement on my dime, AoA refused.
    -stage I & II of the oil consumption was performed and paid for by AoA.
    While the dealer was completing stage II, I had the timing and RMS done and paid for parts only. Turned out to be a waste (see next point)
    -I lost a rod bearing about 24k later and replaced it with an engine from a B8.5 (12 months, 18 days)

Yours could be the oil pick up from the pan or the timing. Honestly, I would be very hesitant to take that back; it may be a good sign to walk. However, if the dealer will fix all of the issues at no cost to you, then it may be worth keeping.

Unrelated items that were replaced in the first year of ownership were:

-Intermediate steering shaft - they bind on the outside universal joint
    -Both front wheel bearings
    -Tires, twice
    Wow thatís some scary stuff youíre talking about. Iím honestly thinking about walking away from it. Itís a shame tho, itís a beautiful car. The car comes with a three month or 3k mile warranty, Iím still hesitant after this. Shame

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Has it actually had any oil consumption repairs (stage 1: new PCV, crank seal, and software, or better stage 2: new pistons and rings)? If not, stay away from this car.

Has the timing tensioner ever been changed? If not, stay away.
    2011 B8 A4 ZF8HP // JHM K04-R // APR v3.1 // 034 HFC // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Snow Performance Stage 2 WM Injection // Bilstein B12 Pro-kit // Borla Downpipe // // Rockford 8" Woofers // JL 10" Sub // 2200 W // Audison BitOne DSP

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A4x View Post
    Has it actually had any oil consumption repairs (stage 1: new PCV, crank seal, and software, or better stage 2: new pistons and rings)? If not, stay away from this car.

Has the timing tensioner ever been changed? If not, stay away.
    Only oil a couple of oil consumption test performed on it, crankshaft pulley replaced too. Thatís as far as I can see on the carfax report

Senior Member Four Rings bakedziti's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '77 MGB Roadster
    Items for Sale

Wow thatís some scary stuff youíre talking about. Iím honestly thinking about walking away from it. Itís a shame tho, itís a beautiful car. The car comes with a three month or 3k mile warranty, Iím still hesitant after this. Shame

Donít get me wrong, I love my car. I certainly wish I didnít have to go through all that, but itís served as a good lesson and has given me a good opportunity to learn about my car.

If the car has a 3 month warranty, it may be worth keeping. Iíd personally act as if I were going to walk in an effort to see if the dealer will cover all of the major mechanical issues. Youíre in the power position, so just be courteous, and keep in mind that you can walk away if youíre uncomfortable. You didnít even make it home.
    2011 A4 P+ QGM | Sport Package | 6MT | MMI | B&O
    GIAC (stage) | Eurocode HFC & Alu Kreuz | Stasis Exhaust | H&R RSB | DV+ | CR-15 | ECS Intercooler w/ Piping & Street Shield | P3

the egyptian prescription

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bakedziti View Post
    Donít get me wrong, I love my car. I certainly wish I didnít have to go through all that, but itís served as a good lesson and has given me a good opportunity to learn about my car.

If the car has a 3 month warranty, it may be worth keeping. Iíd personally act as if I were going to walk in an effort to see if the dealer will cover all of the major mechanical issues. Youíre in the power position, so just be courteous, and keep in mind that you can walk away if youíre uncomfortable. You didnít even make it home.
    Thanks for the input man. Iím seriously going to think about it tonight. The only problem i see about keeping it even with a three month warranty is that once the three months are up Iím stuck with it. I can no longer walk away from the purchase.

Veteran Member Four Rings Crucible35's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    13 Lawnmower Prem. Quattro

If the low oil pressure came on on your drive home that would be a good signal to run from this car. Even if the car passed stage one of the oil consumption, that doesn't mean it won't be an issue. On my '09, oil consumption didn't become an issue or show any signs until after 80,000 miles. Once the pistons and rings were replaced, the car was never the same again.
    '15 A4 S Line Q Tip Monsoon
    '09 A4 Premium Q Tip Meteor (Gone)

AZ Member #

So Iím doing some research and it looks like I canít return the car now since I already signed all the paperwork yesterday. Iím still going to ask the dealership about it thou. Worst case scenario, for those of you here in the US, how much am I looking at in cost for repairs if shit weíre to go down hill? Another question, I have a three month/3000 miles drivetrain warranty on the vehicle, can I go to an Audi dealership and have them do all those repairs before my warranty runs out?

Veteran Member Four Rings Crucible35's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    13 Lawnmower Prem. Quattro

Both the oil consumption and the timing chain tensioner issues can result in replacing the engine. If you go through the Oil Consumption thread you will start to see what these things can cost as reported by other members. If the car was still under factory warranty you may have a chance with an Audi dealership, but with no history at the Audi dealership, they won't go to bat for you to get these things dealt with under warranty or goodwill.
    '15 A4 S Line Q Tip Monsoon
    '09 A4 Premium Q Tip Meteor (Gone)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Crucible35 View Post
    Both the oil consumption and the timing chain tensioner issues can result in replacing the engine. If you go through the Oil Consumption thread you will start to see what these things can cost as reported by other members. If the car was still under factory warranty you may have a chance with an Audi dealership, but with no history at the Audi dealership, they won't go to bat for you to get these things dealt with under warranty or goodwill.
    Damn that really sucks. Well, I will definitely see what I can do about getting out of that deal. According to what Iíve read in the j yer net so far, in Illinois the dealerships are under no obligation of taking the car back. No bueno

AZ Member #

Does the warranty cover parts AND labor? A lot of time all they cover is labor and the parts from the dealer are a lot more if they are not included.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    Does the warranty cover parts AND labor? A lot of time all they cover is labor and the parts from the dealer are a lot more if they are not included.
    It covers everything. Iím def gonna go talk to an Audi dealership. At this point I have nothing to lose. I doubt theyíll take the car back.

AZ Member #

It covers everything. Iím def gonna go talk to an Audi dealership. At this point I have nothing to lose. I doubt theyíll take the car back.
    In all honestly I would take the dealer out of the loop and have a mechanic do a full check on the vehicle as it seems they may have known about the issues and just topped it off with oil or what not to get it sold. Did you pay more than $12.5?

AZ Member #

So I drove the car home last night, no problem, today about 60 miles no problems, although I checked the oil level on the display and it went down a bit. Dealership said I canít return it, but they would give me a different car if I really didnít want this one. My question is, whatís the deal with that law suit against Audi for this issue? Is it over? Are they still covering any more vehicles? I read something online from a coupe years ago and the year and model of my car fell in that category of cars involved in the law suit. Anyone knows anything about that?

Senior Member Four Rings 19birel's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '13 A4 Prem+, '00 VW Golf GLS

So I drove the car home last night, no problem, today about 60 miles no problems, although I checked the oil level on the display and it went down a bit. Dealership said I canít return it, but they would give me a different car if I really didnít want this one. My question is, whatís the deal with that law suit against Audi for this issue? Is it over? Are they still covering any more vehicles? I read something online from a coupe years ago and the year and model of my car fell in that category of cars involved in the law suit. Anyone knows anything about that?

There is a stickied thread about it, but in short the class-action suit ended and Audi is no longer covering the cars. You could take it in and try to see if they will cover it as a good will gesture, but I wouldn't count on it.
    Current: Monsoon Grey/Titanium Grey 2013 Audi A4 Premium Plus 6MT Sport BUILD THREAD
    Previous: Light Silver Metallic/Onyx Ambition B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT w/Sport Pkg

AZ Member #

So I drove the car today for about 60 miles, oil level on display hasnít dropped, however, upon coming to a red light and while in neutral I git the dreaded beep and message on my dash, low oil pressure, shut off engine. It went away right away though. By this time I was two mins away from work. I parked the car and havenít moved it since so Iím at a lost now.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I would see if the dealer will give you a good discount on a proper several year, multi thousand mile warranty that would take care of the known issues (one that does not exclude them in the fine print), that should give you enough time to really find out if it has oil consumption issues and can be repaired at an audi dealer or independent shop with only a small deductible
    Aidan

1990 CQ
    2010 A4 2.0tq 6MT
    83 GTI
    1997 4Runner

Veteran Member Four Rings B G 8er's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 A4 Quattro Premium 6MT, 2016 VW Golf Sportwagen SEL Gone: 2013 Q5 2.0 Prem.

My understanding is the Class Action Lawsuit on the Oil Consumption was for 8 years or 80k miles so depending on what date the car was first sold and mileage, you could still receive coverage there however, my understanding is Audi is very strict with proof that all oil changes where performed as recommended by the manufacturer. Unless the previous Owner(s) had all their servicing done at an authorized Audi dealer, that may be hard to show proof.Also, I'm willing to bet if the car had an aftermarket intake and down pipe that the previous Owner had a tune and possibly other modifications done to the car. This could also negate Audi's coverage. However, you mentioned the dealer sold you a 3 month, 3 year warranty. So if that's the case, what are the details of that warranty? Perhaps that could entitle you to a whole new engine if needed. I'd move on that right away. Otherwise, if you've been scammed, I'd talk with the department in your state that licenses dealers and possibly talk with an Attorney like one that specializes in warranties and Lemon Laws, etc.
    2011 A4 B8 Quattro 6MT, Ice Silver
    led - xeon headlight mod, RS4 Replica grille, A4L fog grilles, side blades, rear lip, Stratmosphere Hyper Shift short throw shifter, Eurocode Alu Kreuz, sways & end-links, Stasis Ohlins coilovers, Neuspeed RSE14's 19x9 ET40, Llumar 40 percent tint, RS4 pedals, black self dim mirror w/compass, saftey triangle w/bracket, luggage net, VAG COM.

Established Member Three Rings Steelerhater37's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW E36 M3 convertible VW B6 Passat

WOW!!!

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Take it back to them and let them figure it out, thats what a warranty is for. if you have access to VAG COM, scan it and see what codes are stored as well.

Veteran Member Four Rings B G 8er's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 A4 Quattro Premium 6MT, 2016 VW Golf Sportwagen SEL Gone: 2013 Q5 2.0 Prem.

Sorry, typo, I meant 3 months or 3,000 miles. If it is a real warranty they included with your purchase, it's time to use it!
    2011 A4 B8 Quattro 6MT, Ice Silver
    led - xeon headlight mod, RS4 Replica grille, A4L fog grilles, side blades, rear lip, Stratmosphere Hyper Shift short throw shifter, Eurocode Alu Kreuz, sways & end-links, Stasis Ohlins coilovers, Neuspeed RSE14's 19x9 ET40, Llumar 40 percent tint, RS4 pedals, black self dim mirror w/compass, saftey triangle w/bracket, luggage net, VAG COM.

Veteran Member Three Rings Avantmaniac's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S5/2011 A4 AVANT

Sorry to hear that!, bring it back ASAP! hope they will cover and responsible for any mechanical failure.
    - iKe -
    2011 S5
    2011 A4 Avant

AZ Member #

So just a little update. Iíve driven my car for about 500 miles and no issues thus far (knock on wood). The oil level displays shows level ok and it hasnít moved for the last few days. Iím still going to take it to an Audi dealership ASAP just to have them check it out.