Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: OEM Windshield

Established Member Two Rings WJN S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi S4, AMG GLC43, X5 xDrive50i M Sport

OEM Windshield

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Just wondering - anybody experience frequent replacement of the OEM windshield on this car? I'm having a 4th windshield replaced in under 5 years of ownership.
    I've had other cars 15 years prior to this and never had to replace a windshield at all. Just wondering if bad luck, or just more prone to breaking with newer tech/weight savings?
    2013 Audi S4 | Ibis White | Black Alcantara | Premium Plus | Sports Differential | MMI+ | Carbon Atlas Inlays | Advanced Key | Bang & Olufsen | 19" Peelers | Chipwerke Pro | Stoptech Cross Drilled Rotors | Hawk HPS 5.0 | Eurocode Sway Bars & End Links

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Probably a combination of both. The newer windshields are thinner, so more prone to damage when something impacts them. You may have bad luck where you drive frequently having things thrown up at you.
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - stock
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

Veteran Member Four Rings sacandagaD's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 S4 P+, 2015 BMW X3 M-sport, 2005 Honda Element
    Items for Sale

Knock wood, but both of mine have taken hits that sounded like it was damaged, but miraculously just a couple of slight scratches. Now our Honda element, that's another story altogether, thing is almost upright and a stone magnet.
    2015 P+, Sepang Blue, Black/Black Alcantara, Tech package, Sport Diff, DSG, Carbon inlays, B&O, Hard wired V1, CR-15, 3M film, 19" PSS/Hartmann Rotor reps, Akebonos, LED interior lights, ZxE fogs, CW Pro, Soundakator mute, RS Rep grille.

Loved but traded: 2011 S4 P+, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Black/Silver Alcantara

Veteran Member Four Rings GeoJoe's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi S4, 2017 Audi Q7, 2016 Porsche GT4, 1973 Datsun 240z

Coincidentally getting mine replaced today. OEM acoustic glass via Safelite.

Track pics and videos: S4 | GT4 | 240z | Q7| Tundra

Veteran Member Four Rings cspcrx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Tacoma, 2007 Harley Softail, 1986 Honda CRX

I had my original for 6 years and no chips or cracks. Luck ran out last year and a rock took it out. The insurance, Farmers, would not fully cover "OE" glass, glass with AUDI Rings on it, so I had to pay $400 out of my pocket. 2 months later a huge rock takes that one out. This time I went with "OEM" glass and out of pocket was only $100. Both of these were done at the same safelite store.

Takeaways. There is a visual clarity difference in the OE vs OEM glass as well as a strength difference. Seems the OEM chips more easily than the OE glass did as well. I found this with our Tacoma as well. We were going through windshields ever 8 months. Spent a bit extra and got OE and its lasted 3 years.
    2012 Ibis P+ / DSG / Silk Napa / B&O / Sport Diff. / ADS lite / MMI & Nav / APR Stage 2 & TCU Tuned / 184mm KI LIL BITCH / ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Technik Intake / AMS Alpha Cooler / ECS 2-Piece Rotors / Akebono Pads / VMR 803 19x9.5 ET45 265-35-19 PSS / ECS Drivetrain Bushing Inserts / CR-15

12.3 @ 112mph 2288DA on 93oct file Stage 2

THEN THEN THEN Rinse & Repeat!

Veteran Member Four Rings Audibot's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Ouch! My insurance recently starting providing $0 glass deductible, which was nice. I had the windshield in my A6 replaced before that though, because it was defective to the State of Maryland when I purchased it (could not pass vehicle safety inspection). Luckily for me, according to Safelite, ONLY OE (Audi four rings glass) was available for my car.
    2016 A6 TDI Prestige - stock
    2003 allroad 6MT - STUKLR Stage 1, Hotchkis sway bars, RS4 engine mounts, Apikol rear diff mounts

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cspcrx View Post
    I had my original for 6 years and no chips or cracks. Luck ran out last year and a rock took it out. The insurance, Farmers, would not fully cover "OE" glass, glass with AUDI Rings on it, so I had to pay $400 out of my pocket. 2 months later a huge rock takes that one out. This time I went with "OEM" glass and out of pocket was only $100. Both of these were done at the same safelite store.

Takeaways. There is a visual clarity difference in the OE vs OEM glass as well as a strength difference. Seems the OEM chips more easily than the OE glass did as well. I found this with our Tacoma as well. We were going through windshields ever 8 months. Spent a bit extra and got OE and its lasted 3 years.
    I just asked the Safelite guy the difference in OE v/s OEM. He had no idea on what OE meant... and then he said I'm getting OEM because of my insurance. He says same as factory glass.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Safelite would NOT be my first choice. Hopefully they do a better job for you that their standard.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by hilmar2k View Post
    Safelite would NOT be my first choice. Hopefully they do a better job for you that their standard.
    It completely depends on the individual technician you end up with. There's nothing like them coming to the house for the job.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoJoe View Post
    I just asked the Safelite guy the difference in OE v/s OEM. He had no idea on what OE meant... and then he said I'm getting OEM because of my insurance. He says same as factory glass.

That's funny we went through that game with them with our Tacoma OEM equivalent, OEM, and OE. They, the person on the phone, acted like its all the same. The tech was upfront enough to tell us its not the case. I have a great relationship with the Safelite shop by my house and they will tell you the same thing. There are actually up to 4 grades of glass they can get. Much of it is driven by the insurance company but they through around the same terms to make you feel ok about it, OEM.
    2012 Ibis P+ / DSG / Silk Napa / B&O / Sport Diff. / ADS lite / MMI & Nav / APR Stage 2 & TCU Tuned / 184mm KI LIL BITCH / ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Technik Intake / AMS Alpha Cooler / ECS 2-Piece Rotors / Akebono Pads / VMR 803 19x9.5 ET45 265-35-19 PSS / ECS Drivetrain Bushing Inserts / CR-15

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by evanb View Post
    It completely depends on the individual technician you end up with. There's nothing like them coming to the house for the job.
    Agree.. I've used them a few times. They'll send out the new guy to work on your Civic, but they'll usually send out the expert to work on higher level cars.

Quote Originally Posted by cspcrx View Post
    That's funny we went through that game with them with our Tacoma OEM equivalent, OEM, and OE. They, the person on the phone, acted like its all the same. The tech was upfront enough to tell us its not the case. I have a great relationship with the Safelite shop by my house and they will tell you the same thing. There are actually up to 4 grades of glass they can get. Much of it is driven by the insurance company but they through around the same terms to make you feel ok about it, OEM.
    So which grade is in that pic? It's got the four rings and says Acoustic. Is there better?

Active Member Two Rings Audiraz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I live in Colorado, where rock chips and cracked windshield are common. That said, I am on my second replacement in two years. It seems about one a year is common for me. Even before this car, my 2008 A4 had 2 windshield replacements in 3 years! I do not do Audi direct replacement. It is the generic equivalent that is a few hundred cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Had my car a little over 2 years and got hit this morning. Safelite is coming Wednesday to replace. I requested OEM through Nationwide.
    Attached Images

AZ Member #
    My Garage

If it has the Audi rings itís OE glass, which would be top grade. OEM is next then there is OEM equivalent and then the junk glass thatís just called replacement.

Veteran Member Four Rings Dr GP's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lexus RX 350

Quote Originally Posted by hilmar2k View Post
    Last summer I needed to replace mine 3 times in a month. Safelite guarantees your satisfaction.They put in their standard windshield first(Made in Ohio by a Chinese owned company) but it had significant distortion and I insisted that they come back and repalce it with Audi acoustic windshield. That one lasted 2 weeks. Audi acoustic glass this time,.Haven't had any issues before or since.Just bad luck and timing

AZ Member #

If you want to know who does the best glass work in your area, just call a couple of higher end body shops and ask who they have do their glass work. I would be shocked if you get a single Safelite as an answer.

Veteran Member Three Rings SDV325's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12' S4

I requested a OE replacement as OEM usually meant Audi stamped, cost about $250 more but Plinkton (spelling) is stamped on it, same manufacturer as the side windows. Can't complain as an Audi stamped windshield would be another $500 lol

Glass coverage here is simply not worth it. Plus usually $250 deductible and a few hundred added to the yearly policy.
    2014 Audi SQ5 Technik - Estoril | Lunar | B&O | NAV |
    2012 Audi S4 Prestige - Ibis White | Magma | DSG | Sport Diff | Carbon Inlays
    EPL STG 1 & TCU | Roc-Euro Intake | 034 TransInsert | RS4 Grille | ECS GEOMET Rotors | Stoptech Pads | CR-15 | Eurocode F/R sways | MOOG Endlinks | Alu Kreuz | FOR SALE
    2015 Toyota Rav4 - Family Wagon

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SDV325 View Post
    Glass coverage here is simply not worth it. Plus usually $250 deductible and a few hundred added to the yearly policy.
    That's crazy. Glass coverage for me is super cheap and has no deductible. Canada vs US, I guess....

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Pilkington glass is actually supposed to be their better quality OEM glass. OE is the glass that has the rings on it. OEM just means Original Equipment Manufacturer. So in theory it should be the same.