Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 62 of 62
  1. #41
    Veteran Member Four Rings vavJETTAw36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 04 2012
    AZ Member #
    96276
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Items for Sale

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Marley View Post
    Yes... I know.. showed to Blake and he feels it's not smooth to his liking with the MBC... he feels the Wastegates are touchy.

    Are they worth the trouble of replacing just for this...? I dont think so

    ...i'm going to replace the N75 and run the MBC in parallel to Smooth out the spike and leave it...

    ...i'm building @27psi by 4500 and holding to redline...& we haven't even started tuning in Meth yet so I guess I cant complain.

    It is what it is

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    lmao, your tuner needs to TUNE the car. Isnt that the point of tuning to the hardware and not buying the hardware to match the tune? What is he selling, "off the shelf" tunes? He needs to properly calibrate the wastegates.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 27 2016
    AZ Member #
    373865
    Location
    Westchester, NY

    Quote Originally Posted by vavJETTAw36 View Post
    lmao, your tuner needs to TUNE the car. Isnt that the point of tuning to the hardware and not buying the hardware to match the tune? What is he selling, "off the shelf" tunes? He needs to properly calibrate the wastegates.
    It is a very valid point. There's always moving the redline to 4,600

  3. #43
    Veteran Member Four Rings FlyboyS4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06 2007
    AZ Member #
    14660
    My Garage
    2001 S4, 2004 MSM MX-5
    Location
    FL

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Marley View Post
    Yes... I know.. showed to Blake and he feels it's not smooth to his liking with the MBC... he feels the Wastegates are touchy.

    Are they worth the trouble of replacing just for this...? I dont think so

    ...i'm going to replace the N75 and run the MBC in parallel to Smooth out the spike and leave it...

    ...i'm building @27psi by 4500 and holding to redline...& we haven't even started tuning in Meth yet so I guess I cant complain.

    It is what it is
    My hunch is that you may be right near the edge of what the wastegate can stay closed with, and once they open closing up again is difficult. I could see that taking some effort to tune. Perhaps drop the boost pressure a little, maybe around 25 psi across the board, and see how that works for you.
    Stock -> APR Stg1/2 -> GIAC Stg2 -> K04 -> 605 -> F4H -> K03 -> K04 -> F21MF -> TTE550 -> K04 -> TC Stg1 -> BW RS6 & TiAL 605 & FT F21v3 (On deck)
    MyAudiS4.com

  4. #44
    Veteran Member Four Rings NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 29 2009
    AZ Member #
    38059
    Location
    Toronto

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Marley View Post
    Yes... I know.. showed to Blake and he feels it's not smooth to his liking with the MBC...
    Well it's not going to be smooth because it looks like there is maybe some TC going on after the spike and the cam change over before that but, more or less it's what I would expect from an MBC if you look at it as a curve.

    If you lower the boost a little on the MBC so it doesn't overshoot as much it will probably be smoother as well.

    There certainly could be an issue with one (or both) of the gates being touchy I suppose. But I wouldn't count on it with the data at hand. It certainly looks like a PID issue with the N75 connected.
    E36 ∑ DYNO ∑ TUNING ∑ WIRING ∑ PARTS

  5. #45
    Veteran Member Four Rings NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 29 2009
    AZ Member #
    38059
    Location
    Toronto

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyS4 View Post
    My hunch is that you may be right near the edge of what the wastegate can stay closed with, and once they open closing up again is difficult. I could see that taking some effort to tune. Perhaps drop the boost pressure a little, maybe around 25 psi across the board, and see how that works for you.
    Not sure what you're seeing, but I'm seeing that the tune is requesting LESS boost on the N75, and that is what it is having issues with. So the opposite of what you're saying.
    E36 ∑ DYNO ∑ TUNING ∑ WIRING ∑ PARTS

  6. #46
    Registered Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 01 2013
    AZ Member #
    122272
    Location
    Sweden

    Post a Log with N75 bost req vs Boost act and WGDC.
    Aslo if you know how - print screen on your KFLDRL and KFLDIMX tables plese.

  7. #47
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 07 2011
    AZ Member #
    73609
    Location
    Home of the mighty beaver

    SRM K24 Wastgates...

    ..
    Last edited by S4James; 07-13-2018 at 03:41 PM.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Three Rings Bob Marley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 18 2016
    AZ Member #
    367370
    Location
    Queens NY

    Quote Originally Posted by Mocke View Post
    Post a Log with N75 bost req vs Boost act and WGDC.
    Aslo if you know how - print screen on your KFLDRL and KFLDIMX tables plese.
    Will do...gimmie a few

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  9. #49
    Veteran Member Four Rings FlyboyS4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06 2007
    AZ Member #
    14660
    My Garage
    2001 S4, 2004 MSM MX-5
    Location
    FL

    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    Not sure what you're seeing, but I'm seeing that the tune is requesting LESS boost on the N75, and that is what it is having issues with. So the opposite of what you're saying.
    I'm just speaking from my own experience trying to maintain a boost level around 25 psi on wg's with preload that is insufficient.

    So you think he ought to be raising requested boost higher?
    Stock -> APR Stg1/2 -> GIAC Stg2 -> K04 -> 605 -> F4H -> K03 -> K04 -> F21MF -> TTE550 -> K04 -> TC Stg1 -> BW RS6 & TiAL 605 & FT F21v3 (On deck)
    MyAudiS4.com

  10. #50
    Senior Member Three Rings Bob Marley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 18 2016
    AZ Member #
    367370
    Location
    Queens NY

    Heres a recent N75 log with WGDC added




    Similar Run


    Last edited by Bob Marley; 07-14-2018 at 07:28 AM.

  11. #51
    Established Member Four Rings JustManson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 11 2016
    AZ Member #
    382924
    Location
    Connecticut

    Those WGs are biting you in the Ass. Sorry man... I know we spoke about it right at the time you were installing.

    I hope Blake can help sort this out, but I think you know what your going to have to do eventually.... pop some upgraded WGs in.

    I think you can get that done without pulling the whole motor...


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  12. #52
    Veteran Member Four Rings FlyboyS4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06 2007
    AZ Member #
    14660
    My Garage
    2001 S4, 2004 MSM MX-5
    Location
    FL

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Marley View Post
    Similar Run


    Doesn't look bad and to me that shows the wg's are sufficient to manage the boost requested.

    If consistency is an issue then I'd still look into the N75 valve replacement if it is older. How much work has been done trying to tune these wastegates? If they aren't what is typically paired with those turbochargers I wouldn't be surprised if a bit more effort would have to be made to get the tuning right versus making a couple of tweaks to a standard base file which is probably all that is needed if you had the usual wastegates.
    Stock -> APR Stg1/2 -> GIAC Stg2 -> K04 -> 605 -> F4H -> K03 -> K04 -> F21MF -> TTE550 -> K04 -> TC Stg1 -> BW RS6 & TiAL 605 & FT F21v3 (On deck)
    MyAudiS4.com

  13. #53
    Senior Member Three Rings Bob Marley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 18 2016
    AZ Member #
    367370
    Location
    Queens NY

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyS4 View Post
    Doesn't look bad and to me that shows the wg's are sufficient to manage the boost requested.

    If consistency is an issue then I'd still look into the N75 valve replacement if it is older. How much work has been done trying to tune these wastegates? If they aren't what is typically paired with those turbochargers I wouldn't be surprised if a bit more effort would have to be made to get the tuning right versus making a couple of tweaks to a standard base file which is probably all that is needed if you had the usual wastegates.
    Quite a few revisions have been made ... maybe 7 or 8 to the Tune to smooth things out up top. ..

    will likely have to settle with whatever the outcome. It certainly could be worse.

    With another N75 in we shall see and take it from there.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  14. #54
    Registered Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 01 2013
    AZ Member #
    122272
    Location
    Sweden

    [QUOTE=Bob Marley;13197540]Heres a recent N75 log with WGDC added


    Judging by your Logs, That is a lot of DC for fairly low boost.
    WGs are your problem.
    It can be tuned to a certain level, but you will have late spool, and lower boost and chances are those WGs will relax even more and than you will need to do something about it.
    Best is to change those.

    GL.

  15. #55
    Veteran Member Four Rings NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 29 2009
    AZ Member #
    38059
    Location
    Toronto

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyS4 View Post
    I'm just speaking from my own experience trying to maintain a boost level around 25 psi on wg's with preload that is insufficient.

    So you think he ought to be raising requested boost higher?
    I agree, it seems that he doesn't have enough WG preload if he wants to see more boost. But that wasn't the initial issue/post. Req. boost is dropping in the tune, and he was pointing out the wavy boost curve as less boost was requested. That wavy curve more or less went away with the MBC controlling the boost to me seemed like it was a PID issue and not a WG issue if using the MBC is able to maintain more boost.

    the N75 @ 80+ % is at the end of it's range... most solenoids have a decent dead band of around 10-15%, exaggerated on the top end by the presence of backpressure behind the gate door.
    E36 ∑ DYNO ∑ TUNING ∑ WIRING ∑ PARTS

  16. #56
    Senior Member Three Rings Bob Marley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 18 2016
    AZ Member #
    367370
    Location
    Queens NY

    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    I agree, it seems that he doesn't have enough WG preload if he wants to see more boost. But that wasn't the initial issue/post. Req. boost is dropping in the tune, and he was pointing out the wavy boost curve as less boost was requested. That wavy curve more or less went away with the MBC controlling the boost to me seemed like it was a PID issue and not a WG issue if using the MBC is able to maintain more boost.

    the N75 @ 80+ % is at the end of it's range... most solenoids have a decent dead band of around 10-15%, exaggerated on the top end by the presence of backpressure behind the gate door.
    I replaced my N75 with another from a Working vehicle and Boost curve looks virtually the same north of 25psi...builds fine. Spikes @27/28... but has trouble leveling out to the requested 25...

    ...i'm thinking that running the N75 at that high of a DC for that long compromises its efficiency...

    As stated more preload would take some pressure off the N75. Which would explain why the MBC does a bit of a better job holding boost but theres still a flutter as the Wastegates Struggle against the High Exhaust Gas Pressure north of 6k rpm

    I have no choice....
    Pull the Motor & install 1 Bar Gates

    ...i'm highly disappointed with the SRM gates shipped with these turbos...

    Why claim 500 - 600 hp if you know that the wastgates Shipped will Not be able to support that.

    I Repeat... These are NOT the 1 Bar gates that most of the satisfied customers on this feed have. I was told when ordering from Blake that Sean moved away from the 1Bar gates due to some longevity issues he was having. So ...i'm guessing these are typical 6psi K04 gates?? Who knows...

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  17. #57
    Veteran Member Four Rings vavJETTAw36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 04 2012
    AZ Member #
    96276
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Items for Sale

    You donít have to pull the motor for the gates. Passenger side is easy. The driverside is tight but doable. Youíll need a crushwasher for the coolant line for the passenger side since uoull need to remove that line to get to the lower bolt on the actuator.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #58
    Senior Member Three Rings Bob Marley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 18 2016
    AZ Member #
    367370
    Location
    Queens NY

    Quote Originally Posted by vavJETTAw36 View Post
    You donít have to pull the motor for the gates. Passenger side is easy. The driverside is tight but doable. Youíll need a crushwasher for the coolant line for the passenger side since uoull need to remove that line to get to the lower bolt on the actuator.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hmm...Keep in mind this is on a B6... I was under there today doing something else. Just dont see how it's possible on this chassis

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bob Marley; 07-20-2018 at 09:25 PM.

  19. #59
    Veteran Member Four Rings vavJETTAw36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 04 2012
    AZ Member #
    96276
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Marley View Post
    hmm...Keep in mind this is on a B6... I was under there today doing something else. Just dont see how it's possible on this chassis

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Whoops sorry didnít know that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #60
    Registered Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 12 2013
    AZ Member #
    129764
    My Garage
    '01 S4 Tip '91 200 20VTQA, '01 A6 2.7TA, VW Rabbit GTI truck.
    Location
    SanHo, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Marley View Post
    hmm...Keep in mind this is on a B6... I was under there today doing something else. Just dont see how it's possible on this chassis

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    The B6 doesn't have a subframe? I would think dropping the subframe would be easier than an engine pull and should give you enough access to change out the WG's. You're still going to need a hoist to hold the engine in place but on the B5 I can drop the subframe in less than an hour.

  21. #61
    Senior Member Three Rings Bob Marley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 18 2016
    AZ Member #
    367370
    Location
    Queens NY

    Quote Originally Posted by rdcyclist View Post
    The B6 doesn't have a subframe? I would think dropping the subframe would be easier than an engine pull and should give you enough access to change out the WG's. You're still going to need a hoist to hold the engine in place but on the B5 I can drop the subframe in less than an hour.
    ...i'm gonna get back under there and explore that objectively... I just more annoyed that I have to do it at all. I just completed an entire build 100% solo... pulling motor, tranny, clutch flywheeI, main seal, timing, water pump, turbos, cams...list goes on. All reassembled with zero mistakes... ...i'm tired now & have callouses the size of acorns on both hands... I should be reaping the benefits of my hard work... instead ...i'm going back in there due to watsegates that i'm sure Sean had to know can't support 25-30psi. But he sold them anyways, so here we are.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  22. #62
    Established Member Four Rings JustManson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 11 2016
    AZ Member #
    382924
    Location
    Connecticut

    SRM K24 Wastgates...

    1 mistake. Those DAM WGs!!!!!

    man I wish you would have just went my route ďcheap and easyĒ when you had the chance knowing what you have to do now.

    You are a very knowledgeable mechanic Iím sure it will be hours not days down.

    GL my friend.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.