Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 RS3, 2005 Acura RSX-S

New RS3. What I am having done. Should I do anything else?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My RS3 (Nardo) is set to be here in the next couple/few weeks. I have already set up getting the paint protection film done by a shop here that comes highly recommended. Initially I thought I would get all the common parts wrapped and as I kept adding parts to be wrapped I decided I would just get the whole car done. I know it is overkill but it is one of those things that will always bug me and and I won't be 100% happy if I don't. Over that I am going to have a ceramic coating applied. It looks like I can get all this done for around $5,000 which from what I can tell is a pretty good price here in OK. I plan to pretty much take the car straight from the dealer to the shop to do this. I have asked the dealer not to wash, wax, polish, or wipe the paint. Outside of this the dealer is doing the tinting before I get the car. Is there anything else I should do or have done right away?

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Three Rings SupremePower1's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yes, the most important thing you'll have to do is.....DRIVE IT.

For those who know me, these are words to live by.
    Nick
    SUPREMEPOWER
    1562 Kimberly Ave. Fullerton, CA 92831
    nick@supremepower.com

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Paul@SupremePower's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 RS3 |2014 B8.5 S5 stage 2+ |2010 MK6 GTI KO4 -gone

Thatís a good price. Full PPF wrap here is almost 8000 for the Rs3.

And yes, Nick is right! Drive it!!!!

Email: Paul@SupremePower.com aka: allset
    Call or Text: 914-243-1993

IG: paul_gi_5264 | FB: Paul Gi

| 034 | ADV.1 | AG | Advan | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Forgeline | H&R | Klassen | KW | Milltek | Modulare | Neuspeed | Ohlins | OZ | Stoptech | Signature | VMR | Volk | Vorsteiner | Vossen | Work | & many more

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 RS3, 2013 Mazdaspeed3, 2007 Acura TSX

Yeah, Just drive it... I can get the car repainted twice at that price.
    -

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tegxsi View Post
    Yeah, Just drive it... I can get the car repainted twice at that price.
    I get the appeal, but the price for these things is insane.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 RS3, 2013 Mazdaspeed3, 2007 Acura TSX

I did consider getting PPF at least for the front bumper since 90% of my driving is highway but the cost deterred me. I understand PPF is very labor intensive and that comes with a price.
    I personally spent a weekend in my garage prepping the paint and applied ceramic coating. I'm happy with the results.
    -

AZ Member #
    My Garage

It really is pricey. Even partial wrap. Iíve never had it on my personal vehicles but am going to give a go on my Rs3 for the full hood, grill and fenders. From what Iíve seen of the newer generation films they are quite effective for swirls which drives me batshit crazy on black and is my main motivation. Rock chip mitigation is a bonus.

I always dismissed the film because I equated it with the horrible looking, thick, yellowing clear bras of the 80s and 90s but it appears to have advanced quite a bit.

We shall see.

| 034 | ADV.1 | AG | Advan | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Forgeline | H&R | Klassen | KW | Milltek | Modulare | Neuspeed | Ohlins | OZ | Stoptech | Signature | VMR | Volk | Vorsteiner | Vossen | Work | & many more

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Ford Raptor, 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S, 2016 VW Golf R

Iíd skip the film and just do a good ceramic coating. Hydrophobic tendencies help with keeping it clean, too. And wayyyy cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Cars: 2018 Audi RS3, 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2016 VW Golf R

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 RS3, 2005 Acura RSX-S

Thanks for the pleasant replies. Drive it is definitely first on my list! Going easy during the break in period is going to be tough.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    997tt and a 2018 Bolt EV.

I agree with skipping the full condom, my ceramic coating works fantastic on the wet coast , pocket the $4200 difference and use that to fund your tire budget... 🚀

Veteran Member Four Rings saxon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

For those saying ceramic coatings over a bra , I'd disagree

Ceramic is for ease of maintenance and light scratches.

Clear bra protects against impacts and most also are self healing against moderate scratches

Also most clear bras are already hydrophobic and don't need a coating on top of them
    Current Ride- 2018 Audi RS3 Glacier White
    Unitronic stage??

Past cars 2010 s4-2012 Nissan GT-R -2014 S6-2016 s3-2015 M3--2011 b8 s4

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    997tt and a 2018 Bolt EV.

I guess logically it boils down to how the op is going to use his car and if $5000 up front for protection vs potential $5000+ or - later for repair of theoretical damage that may or may not occur.

Also, does the newer ppf still yellow every two to three years?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Ford Raptor, 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S, 2016 VW Golf R

Iím not arguing against the effectiveness of the PPF at all. I believe it does what it says and does it well. Iím against the value of it. I feel it is simply too expensive to make it worthwhile. Iíd rather get a ding or chop here and there and pay for repairs rather than put up a $4000 insurance policy. With that said, I have it on my 911 and my Shelby GT350. However, In the years of driving them, the value hasnít paid off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Cars: 2018 Audi RS3, 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2016 VW Golf R

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Micronaught View Post
    I guess logically it boils down to how the op is going to use his car and if $5000 up front for protection vs potential $5000+ or - later for repair of theoretical damage that may or may not occur.

Also, does the newer ppf still yellow every two to three years?
    As I understand it no. Also it allows full UV though so the paint no longer fades at a different rate vs. unprotected sections.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Just a car so do what you intended to do when you made the decision to get one or do what some people do they just take pics and pics and keep them garaged and wash them and take pics again... and never drive them. That is an option.

Established Member Two Rings Rs3nardo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I wrapped my whole car (even the window trim pieces - my guy did an amazing job) - no regrets. I have zero anxiety about anything messing up my paint. I can't wash it "wrong", no swirls...100% happy here.

I've had a couple rocked kicked up at me on the road - and people brushing up on it at meets and the zero effect on the ppf makes it worth every penny.

Once its wrapped - get out there are drive that thing!
    Instagram: Rs3Nardo

2018 Audi RS3 - Nardo Grey, Black Optics, Dynamic Plus, RS Design, Driver Assist, Technology, Carbon Inlays...the works.