Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Dodge Journey, 1998 Passat AEB, 1999 Passat AEB, 2000 A4 ATW, 2002 A6 3.0/2.7T tiptronic KLR250

Timing blocks show 99

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Built engine, new timing belt.
    First start, runs rough.
    Timing blocks in VCDS Vagcom (block 090 to 093) show "99 degrees" and error code "cam sensor and engine speed sensor correlation".

Timing checked. Crank at TDC mark. Cams 'square' marks both line up with mark on bracket, exhaust cam timing mark lines up.

Chain has 15.5 links between marks (counting first link on mark, 16th link just past mark).

Any suggestion what might be causing issue?
    01 Allroad Tiptronic, TCU tune, mild stg 3 (350 HP) tune (stock injectors) KraftwerkTurbo TM1. Lower, Wider. Custom tip vent pod with Podi
    02 Allroad 6 spd, Kraftwerk Turbo TM6, 750cc, 3" MAF, piggy, FMIC, CM stg 5 (hate). 30 psi at 3600 rpm. Needs stronger rods (coming).
    05 Golf TDI
    Looking for 2001 A4 1.8T quattro manual with blown motor
    www.regulatorfix.com
    www.kraftwerkturbo.com

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Only thing I can think is if the incorrect cam window (hall sensor) was used. Then with the crank sensor, I would check this for any metal to it messing up the tone ring readings. Basically, inspect the cam position sensor (ie correct one) and crank position sensor.

The B5 A4 can also run like poop when the crank position sensor is on it's way out. Can do more, like even cause ESP issues. Can have your car randomly cut off, drive good, cut off again, cause misfires, go back to normal, then do it all over again and have you chasing ghosts (when this little bitch of a sensor can be the cause of it all). Ask me how I know! Anyways, worst comes to worst and you have to throw money at it, I would def start with a new crank position sensor.
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like a bitch

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Dodge Journey, 1998 Passat AEB, 1999 Passat AEB, 2000 A4 ATW, 2002 A6 3.0/2.7T tiptronic KLR250

Quote Originally Posted by Seerlah View Post
    Only thing I can think is if the incorrect cam window (hall sensor) was used. Then with the crank sensor, I would check this for any metal to it messing up the tone ring readings. Basically, inspect the cam position sensor (ie correct one) and crank position sensor.

The B5 A4 can also run like poop when the crank position sensor is on it's way out. Can do more, like even cause ESP issues. Can have your car randomly cut off, drive good, cut off again, cause misfires, go back to normal, then do it all over again and have you chasing ghosts (when this little bitch of a sensor can be the cause of it all). Ask me how I know! Anyways, worst comes to worst and you have to throw money at it, I would def start with a new crank position sensor.
    Always thought that the cam sensors are all the same among 1.8T (and even 2.7T)?
    Will double check, but are 99.5% sure if just moved the sensor over from the (well running) original stock AMU that came out.

Crank sensor: easiest way to check if it works correctly? I am NOT sure if I switched known good over from old engine, or left the one (?) in place that was on the donor block. If engine speed values in VAGcom show correct and consistent, i would assume its good?
    01 Allroad Tiptronic, TCU tune, mild stg 3 (350 HP) tune (stock injectors) KraftwerkTurbo TM1. Lower, Wider. Custom tip vent pod with Podi
    02 Allroad 6 spd, Kraftwerk Turbo TM6, 750cc, 3" MAF, piggy, FMIC, CM stg 5 (hate). 30 psi at 3600 rpm. Needs stronger rods (coming).
    05 Golf TDI
    www.regulatorfix.com
    www.kraftwerkturbo.com

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Should have said impulse rotors are different, and not hall sender. Not sure how they differ between the aeb, atw, awm, and amb. But there is a difference between aeb and awm.

Walky_talky20 taught me how to properly check a crank position sensor. Not sure if vag com can do this, but you are supposed to use an oscillator with a certain procedure. Can't recall. You can try to PM him and ask for proper procedure.

These are just the two things I would have looked into personally if it were me. After that, stuck in a rut like you. Maybe check the wiring for the cam sensor, but I had my car running with it completely unplugged before. Even tested it to see if car will start with it unplugged, and it does. Just takes extra cranks to get her running. But your issue really seems electrical around the cam and/or crank sensor. If it were me, I would focus on these areas and basically route I would take.
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like a bitch

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Seerlah View Post
    Should have said impulse rotors are different, and not hall sender. Not sure how they differ between the aeb, atw, awm, and amb. But there is a difference between aeb and awm.

Walky_talky20 taught me how to properly check a crank position sensor. Not sure if vag com can do this, but you are supposed to use an oscillator with a certain procedure. Can't recall. You can try to PM him and ask for proper procedure.

These are just the two things I would have looked into personally if it were me. After that, stuck in a rut like you. Maybe check the wiring for the cam sensor, but I had my car running with it completely unplugged before. Even tested it to see if car will start with it unplugged, and it does. Just takes extra cranks to get her running. But your issue really seems electrical around the cam and/or crank sensor. If it were me, I would focus on these areas and basically route I would take.
    Thank. Will get to work. Collect some more data and vagcom readings. But first need to take some stuff off back of engine to fix oil leak there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Audizine mobile app
    05 Golf TDI
    www.regulatorfix.com
    www.kraftwerkturbo.com