Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings JWebb_C7_Comp's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A6 Comp, 2017 Q7

Anyone track stock A6 ??

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys, I picked up an 18 A6 in January and am enjoying the ride, though itís different than the smaller BMWs I had previously. I hadnít thought too much about tracking this car, but an opportunity came up that I may jump on. Local auto group is having a track day with instructors.

So, my question, is this sporty street car too portly to track with stock 3.0t, stock brakes, sport suspension, sport diff, 20Ē pirelliís??

Iím thinking, if nothing else, Iíll get a real good sense of how it will handle at extreme limits. Curious to see how it will slow down after a long straight away. I may be in for a surprise..

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Last edited by JWebb_C7_Comp; 07-12-2018 at 05:53 AM.

Senior Member Three Rings jrsAudiA6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A5 SB

Quote Originally Posted by JWebb_C7_Comp View Post
    Hey guys, I picked up an 18 A6 in January and am enjoying the ride, though itís different than the smaller BMWs I had previously. I hadnít thought too much about tracking this car, but an opportunity came up that I may jump on. Local auto group is having a track day with instructors.

So, my question, is this sporty street car too portly to track with stock 3.0t, stock brakes, sport suspension, sport diff, 20Ē pirelliís??

Iím thinking, if nothing else, Iíll get a real good sense of how it will handle at extreme limits. Curious to see how it will slow down after a long straight away. I may be in for a surprise..

It will do just fine. You might want to get brake pads that are designed for the track, i.e. can handle higher heat loads. I tracked my A6 in stock setup for a couple track days and did experience brake fade after a couple laps. Back then I did not know as much about brake systems as I do now. Have fun if you decide to go.
    2018 A5 SB Matador Red Premium Plus
    2012 A6 Garnet Red, Prestige Pkg, Innovation Pkg, B&O sound system, 20" Sport Pkg, KW v3 suspension, Alcon Mono6/380mm front brakes, S6 rear brake rotors(356x22mm) and caliper carriers.
    Adj. upper control arms, Eurocode Front and Rear sway bars & Alu Kreuz front brace, GIAC Stage 2
    Lumar Tint:
    CTX 50% Tint F. S. Windows, CTX 30% Tint R. & R. S. Windows, AIR 80% Front Windshield
    XPEL Ultimate Clear Bra, hood, L & R fenders, AWE Exhaust without down pipes

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A6 Comp, 2017 Q7

Quote Originally Posted by jrsAudiA6 View Post
    It will do just fine. You might want to get brake pads that are designed for the track, i.e. can handle higher heat loads. I tracked my A6 in stock setup for a couple track days and did experience brake fade after a couple laps. Back then I did not know as much about brake systems as I do now. Have fun if you decide to go.
    Thanks for the comments... Brake fade at high speed - on the same track - darn near made me soil my britches. Unless I swap pads, I wonít push like I did in my old set-up, which I felt I knew pretty well.

What pads do you use to track your car? Maybe Iíll swap the fronts before I go!

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Flush with high temp brake fluid as well.
    2014 S6

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A5 SB

Thanks for the comments... Brake fade at high speed - on the same track - darn near made me soil my britches. Unless I swap pads, I wonít push like I did in my old set-up, which I felt I knew pretty well.

What pads do you use to track your car? Maybe Iíll swap the fronts before I go!

I currently use pads that are based on Raybestos ST-43 compound. I have Alcon front brakes, so the P/N will not work for stock brakes. The rear pads are also based the ST-43 compound and cost me $249 plus tax and shipping. The part number is RC1547 ST-43. I purchased these pads through a company called Porterfield brakes. This company will make you pads using different compounds, such as Hawk, for your car. Give them a call.
    2012 A6 Garnet Red, Prestige Pkg, Innovation Pkg, B&O sound system, 20" Sport Pkg, KW v3 suspension, Alcon Mono6/380mm front brakes, S6 rear brake rotors(356x22mm) and caliper carriers.
    Adj. upper control arms, Eurocode Front and Rear sway bars & Alu Kreuz front brace, GIAC Stage 2
    Lumar Tint:
    CTX 50% Tint F. S. Windows, CTX 30% Tint R. & R. S. Windows, AIR 80% Front Windshield

Senior Member Two Rings goliath1's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    custom built softail

Tracking my S6 in Aug. Just had my audicare 25k done where they flushed brake fluid. Seems a shame to swap out fluid now...Gonna go with what is in the master cylinder just the same. Of course I have agressive brake pads so weíll see how they hold up. Looking forward to pushing the limit of this machine. It was suggested to remove just a bit of fluid to allow for expansion in the reservoir.
    Have fun and good luck.
    2016 S6 Mythos Black Metallic, B&O Sound, Sport Package, Driver Assistance, Comfort Seating, Black Optics, Audi Exclusive Interior.

My wife said its golf or her, gosh I'll miss her!!

Senior Member Three Rings denalist's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ

Anyone track stock A6 ??

If anyone is interested I have a set if Carbotech XP10 track pads that will do wonders on the track. All your worries of brake fade will be gone! These are for an S6 fitment, PM me if your interested, I was going to track mine but got a spec Miata for fun. Iíve probably done 20 track days with Audiís and there is nothing more important than good brakes and good fluid!

Sorry, didnít mean to hijack but I know how important braking is.....going fast and accelerating is fun but nothing is worse than pushing the brake pedal only to find out your not scrubbing speed fast enough. Have a great time out there and be safe!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A6 Comp, 2017 Q7

Thanks for the comments guys... The car is about 7 months old. I haven't swapped brake fluid as of yet - too early at 5k miles. Heck, I've only done one oil change. That said, I'll look at FCP Euro and ECS tuning to see what they've got in a track pad for the A6. I had brake fade on a track ONCE in my old e46 -- hasn't happened again and I don't plan to let it happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by denalist View Post
    If anyone is interested I have a set if Carbotech XP10 track pads that will do wonders on the track. All your worries of brake fade will be gone! These are for an S6 fitment, PM me if your interested, I was going to track mine but got a spec Miata for fun. Iíve probably done 20 track days with Audiís and there is nothing more important than good brakes and good fluid!

Sorry, didnít mean to hijack but I know how important braking is.....going fast and accelerating is fun but nothing is worse than pushing the brake pedal only to find out your not scrubbing speed fast enough. Have a great time out there and be safe!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A6 Comp, 2017 Q7

I currently use pads that are based on Raybestos ST-43 compound. I have Alcon front brakes, so the P/N will not work for stock brakes. The rear pads are also based the ST-43 compound and cost me $249 plus tax and shipping. The part number is RC1547 ST-43. I purchased these pads through a company called Porterfield brakes. This company will make you pads using different compounds, such as Hawk, for your car. Give them a call.
    Wow- they make pads with whatever compound you want? Sound too good to be true!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A5 SB

Wow- they make pads with whatever compound you want? Sound too good to be true!

You can check out their website. They make pads using Hawk, PAGID, Raybestos, PFC, and Porterfield. There maybe more but these are top brake pad manufactures for race/track pads. I think they will do Carbotech too.

I forgot to mention that you should replace the stock brake fluid as it will probably boil if you really push the car and have a number of high speed braking zones on the track. I personally have been using Torque RT700 brake fluid for a couple years. I am really satisfied with its performance. I have tried Motul RBF 5.1, RBF600 and they would boil when the brakes are pushed hard.
    Lumar Tint:

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    custom built softail

The fluids have different boiling points. Motul 5.1 says 272 dry BP. Motul RBF660 is much higher...600+. That must be the reason for triple the price from the 501. Torque RF700 DRY BP is up there too. 661+. Maybe iíll Take a look at changing. Gives me a reason to purchase fluid changer!
    2016 S6 Mythos Black Metallic, B&O Sound, Sport Package, Driver Assistance, Comfort Seating, Black Optics, Audi Exclusive Interior.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A6 Comp, 2017 Q7

You can check out their website. They make pads using Hawk, PAGID, Raybestos, PFC, and Porterfield. There maybe more but these are top brake pad manufactures for race/track pads. I think they will do Carbotech too.

I forgot to mention that you should replace the stock brake fluid as it will probably boil if you really push the car and have a number of high speed braking zones on the track. I personally have been using Torque RT700 brake fluid for a couple years. I am really satisfied with its performance. I have tried Motul RBF 5.1, RBF600 and they would boil when the brakes are pushed hard.
    Thanks again! By the way, boiling brake fluid = a really rough ride OFF TRACK or worse.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A5 SB

Quote Originally Posted by goliath1 View Post
    The fluids have different boiling points. Motul 5.1 says 272 dry BP. Motul RBF660 is much higher...600+. That must be the reason for triple the price from the 501. Torque RF700 DRY BP is up there too. 661+. Maybe iíll Take a look at changing. Gives me a reason to purchase fluid changer!
    Brake fluid boiling point has 2 numbers, wet and dry. For me, as important as the dry the boiling temp is the wet boiling temp is of equal importance. As the brake fluid absorbs moisture it's boiling temperature will decrease. What I do to minimize the decrease in the boiling temp is I will bleed about 2 oz. of fluid from each caliper and replenish with fresh fluid before a track event. Also I have a device that when placed in the brake fluid reservoir will indicate the percentage moisture in the fluid. This link provides a comparison to various brake fluids as tested by Torque http://www.torquebrakefluid.com/comp...ke_fluids.html.
    Lumar Tint:

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    custom built softail

What dot type? 5.1?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 A5 SB

Quote Originally Posted by goliath1 View Post
    What dot type? 5.1?
    Dot 4.
    Lumar Tint: