Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Help diagnosing odd shifting behavior

Hi everyone, I've got an '08 a4 (4 cyl turbo fwd) that's been giving me odd shifting issues since I clipped an armadillo the other day (it went under the dead center of the car). I don't see any impact damage underneath but since the incident, my car has been seemingly randomly downshifting at times while in both drive, sport, and the manu-matic mode. This causes the car to engine brake quite abruptly and while it was just a nuisance before, today the car apparently shifted while stopped at a light, stalling out the car (just like in a manual but I was in automatic and drive at the time). Anyone have any ideas as to what to check for? I didn't see any engine codes and haven't seen any leaks on the weather shield. No smoke, smell or noise occurs. It's just shifting oddly? Thanks in advance for any help.

Veteran Member Three Rings Luis_Heineken's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Did you try reseting the transmission?, disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes? Maybe it help

AZ Member #

I'll try this, thanks. I haven't scientifically tested this yet but it also seems to only be an issue after I activate the cruise control during the drive I activated cruise the drive right after. I haven't touched the cruise in a few days and so far no issues. Might there be a software issue I'm facing? (This happens with or without the cruise ON by the way. If I turn the cruise on and then off it seems to occur semi randomly throughout the drive that follows).

AZ Member #

[UPDATE] Unplugged battery and no change. Still having the issue though now there's some fluid pooling in the weather shield. I did however find the axle boot is severed and will be replacing asap. Anyone know if this could cause the issue or am I still missing something?